Foreigner Breaks Police Lock on Illegally Parked Bike in Phuket

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

An unidentified foreign man has created a public uproar after being recorded in Phuket Old Town cutting a police chain from his motorbike, parked illicitly. The video, which surfaced on social media on April 26th, was taken on Phang Nga Road.

The footage shows the man using a large cutter to break the chain placed on his wheel by the city authorities. After successfully removing the lock, he motions for silence to the person recording him and quickly drives off.

The video's uploader indicated the man chose to buy a cutter from a nearby shop instead of paying the fine at the Phuket City Police Station, a decision that spurred public discussion due to the cutter price being higher than the fine.

Phuket City Police Chief Colonel Pratueng Phonmana confirmed to The Phuket Express that the police are studying CCTV footage to identify and charge the man.

The act of breaking the police chain equates to damaging government property, a crime carrying heavier penalties than the initial parking violation. According to Thai laws, penalties for such crimes can be severe, including fines, imprisonment or both. In extreme cases, punishments could range to ten years in jail, a fine of up to half a million baht, or a combination of both.

Public reactions to the incident are mixed, with some admiring his boldness, and others criticizing his disregard for local laws. Calls for maximum punishment, including prison, a hefty fine, and deportation, have surfaced. As police continue with their investigation, they are encouraging anyone with information regarding the man's identity to come forward.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Wikipedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-27

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

The police will not be amused and nor will the driver 😂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, he should not have been riding a motorbike in Thailand.

Everybody knows what happens to those who ride choppers in Thailand, as well.

Whether it be a chopper, or a teeny trike, or a three-wheeled scooter..

The results are almost inevitably the same:

a. Road accident

b. Hospitalization

c. Debate upon the Topic of insurance

d. Go-Fund-Me campaign to Medically Repatriate on a Pricey Medivac flight to Home Country

e. Discussion on TV concerning Stupidity of "Other" Farang in Thailand

All of the above.

And even more.

Forever more.

When we were kids there was always some old man clutching his pearls and warning us about the perils of whatever we were enjoying. 

None of our faces ever "stayed that way" none of us lost an arm by putting it out the car window. It's still fun and games because none of us has lost an eye - yet.  I often run with a popsicle in my mouth to defy those angry geezers of my youth. 

Edited by Bobthegimp
Popsicle stuck in my throat
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

a decision that spurred public discussion due to the cutter price being higher than the fine.

Ah, but the cutter is reusable.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How could you ever know that he didn't mean what he posted?  Wake up!

I read it to mean what you read.

To take a license plate means to remove it.

Unless you watch old Gangster and Cop movies on TCM (Ted's Classic Movies channel)...maybe....

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Although the cutter cost more than the parking fine, superficially it’s a cost effective alternative because the cutter can be used again in the future, so he need never pay a parking fine again.

of course there is the damage to government property thing to consider 🙄

actually, his problem may have been that he didn’t know where to go to pay the fine. I was clamped in Phuket town many years ago and it took ages to find out what I was supposed to do to get unclamped. The ticket is all in Thai, as you would reasonably expect.

+ no license and wearing a 'loud' T shirt.

The chain is obviously just another shakedown method. Explain to me how it’s even possible to get a parking ticket in a country where ON A HIGHWAY it can be LEGAL or at least quasi legal to stop/park in the left lane. 

on a completely unrelated note I find Thai drivers to be the worst in the world at understanding the rear end of their vehicle is hanging out when they are making a left turn or stopping. It’s uncanny how stupid they are. So many times they can simply pullover a little more and they don’t… they just block the traffic behind them for no reason forcing people to stop or dangerously merge 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1