Ms-vista

Guest Reimar

IT-City Promotion at Fortune Town Bangkok:

MS-Vista Ultimate Baht 19,900.00

MS-Vista Business Baht 14,900.00

both original Microsoft full Versions

Is this a realistic price for Thailand?

Who want to pay such high price for an operating system? And how many of the private users of this country are able to pay such price?

Looks like it will be come back to the same "Game": 98% of Users will use pirated "original" copies!

But as of today: Not any Copy of MS-Vista available at Fortune Town!

Several weeks ago I was calling to Microsoft Thailand, after I was unable to find a Original FS-X, to ask them where to buy the boxed version of FS-X.

The answer: "Excuse us Sir but we didn't sell this product in Thailand!"

I told that Lady that I would buy a copy now because I want to have the product in my hand before I pay for it!

Answer: "No Sir you can't buy a copy it's illegal!"

Complaining that this is the only way to get the software she told: "You can buy online and you'll get the access to download from the Websitebut you can not ship the product to Thailand because Thailand need a special version!"

I was hang up the phone after 15 minute with no positive result. It is same as with FS 2004. I bought the original from the US with an sticker attached the it is illegal to sell that version outside of USA!

Who wonder if people like to use copies instaed of originals if 1. the cost is to much to high and 2. if the software isn't available at all?

Edited by Reimar

The retail/boxed version of any version of Windows seems to be very hard to find in Asia. I mentioned on another thread about wanting to buy the retail version of XP when in Singapore recently. I tried 20+ stores in the 2 main computer malls in Singapore and only one shop stocked it but the price was triple that of the OEM version freely available everywhere so l bought the OEM version. On that basis the price at IT City is probably correct but is it realistic? Someone must buy them, maybe big companies but l think everyone else who wants to be legal buys a computer with Windows pre-installed or one of the OEM versions.

Every 15,000 baht home computer l've used lately has had Windows XP Professional installed. :o

Looks like MS could be heading for a brick wall in asia . Pirate copies of Vista will become a headache for users as they will eventually cripple the PC. so do you take a chance on Vista , stay with XP or try to find a legit copy ?

My guess is that most will stick with XP as vista will be too much trouble if they use a pirate copy .

You can stop it making updates but no service packs for ever .

So a big slowdown on uptake of MS products and associated software for vista will ensue .

Before jumping into the bandwagon of ms vista, take a read on this one news.

Microsoft: Don't Ask Us About Next OS

Microsoft wants everyone to focus on Vista and forget about whatever may come down the operating system pike.

Microsoft wants everyone to focus on Vista and forget about whatever may come down the operating system pike.

In a tightly-worded statement issued late yesterday and attributed to Kevin Kutz, the director of the Windows client group, the company said it "is focused on the value Windows Vista will bring to people today. We are not giving official guidance to the public yet about the next version of Windows, other than that we're working on it."

Kutz was replying to speculation that the next version of Windows -- with codenames ranging from "Vienna" to "Windows 7," depending on the pundit -- would be out before the end of 2009. The chatter was fueled by Ben Fathi, corporate vice president of development in Microsoft's Windows core operating system division, who spoke to reporters last week at the RSA conference.

At the time, Fathi said the follow-on to Vista would likely show up in 2009. "You can think roughly two, two and a half years is a reasonable time frame that our partners can depend on and can work with," he said. "That's a good time frame for refresh."

Yesterday's move was a clear effort by Microsoft to distance itself from Fathi's comments, said Michael Silver, an analyst with Gartner. But it was hardly unexpected.

""This is their pattern. They don't want to talk about what's coming, they want to talk about Vista," said Silver.

The last thing Microsoft wants, said Silver, is for users to hear that a new operating system will show up in a couple of years, then decide that they can wait it out, then simply skip Vista. "Vista is what they have to sell now."

In any case, Silver questioned the relatively short cycle that Fathi proposed. "I don't think enterprises can absorb [a new operating system] every two years."

Consumers, on the other hand, want a new and shiny operating system more frequently. "Maybe Microsoft should think about separating operating systems, one release for consumers, one for enterprises that just adds on capabilities."

In Silver's view, Microsoft has been forced to talk more about the post-Vista world because of the five years it took the company to create that just-released operating system. As early as last July, for example, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told financial analysts that "we will never repeat our experience with Windows Vista, we will never have a five-year gap between major releases of flagship products."

"Actually, they'd like to talk about [the next OS] as little as possible," said Silver.

Said Kutz: "When we are ready, we will provide updates."

Edited by Thaising

Is this a realistic price for Thailand?

I don't think so. Unfortunately, Microsoft prefers to release 'dumbed down' versions for less wealthy markets rather than to sell the regular versions at a realistic price. Problem is, nobody wants the dumbed down/crippled versions.

Me, I'm just irritated that three weeks after the launch of Vista you still can't buy Ultimate it in Thailand.

Several weeks ago I was calling to Microsoft Thailand, after I was unable to find a Original FS-X, to ask them where to buy the boxed version of FS-X.

The answer: "Excuse us Sir but we didn't sell this product in Thailand!"

I told that Lady that I would buy a copy now because I want to have the product in my hand before I pay for it!

Answer: "No Sir you can't buy a copy it's illegal!"

Complaining that this is the only way to get the software she told: "You can buy online and you'll get the access to download from the Websitebut you can not ship the product to Thailand because Thailand need a special version!"

I was hang up the phone after 15 minute with no positive result. It is same as with FS 2004. I bought the original from the US with an sticker attached the it is illegal to sell that version outside of USA!

Who wonder if people like to use copies instaed of originals if 1. the cost is to much to high and 2. if the software isn't available at all?

On other products, if they are not sold in a country, the copy of it is legal, would be interesting if it is the same for software.

At least Microsoft can't claim that they loose xxx.000 Millions because of pirated software, how they could loose money if they don't offer that product.

On other products, if they are not sold in a country, the copy of it is legal

Can you cite a source for that?

Well known are the "look like ATM" cards for watching paytv in countries where they don't offer their service.

That was always the big hole in law to sell copied cards in countries, where thy don't offer that service (different language) or even you can't get the signal.

So the Thai UBC card copied might be legal in Malaysia and the German Premier card in Thailand.....

But I don't know if that also works for other things...

Me, I'm just irritated that three weeks after the launch of Vista you still can't buy Ultimate it in Thailand.

Two days ago IT City on the top floor of Pantip had both the Full Ultimate (B19,990) and OEM 32-bit Ultimate. I can't recall the OEM price. The Full version includes two DVDs: one 32-bit and one 64-bit.

I believe someone else found the Full Ultimate package at a promo display at Fortune, also.

Thanks. So does that mean that the OEM version doesn't include 64 bit?

Correct: None of the OEM versions, including OEM Ultimate, include 64-bit, and Microsoft does NOT offer a 64-bit upgrade path for OEM versions like it does for Full versions.

The Full Ultimate box includes both 32- and 64-bit DVDs. NONE of the other Full versions include 64-bit in the box, but you order a 64-bit DVD directly from a Microsoft website, and use the same product key and can flip flop back and forth between 32-bit and 64-bit re-installation.

I'm not clear if an upgrade path to 64-bit is available for Upgrade Vista versions. I'm also not clear if Microsoft makes OEM 64-bit versions, which I'd wager would not include a downward 32-bit option.

You can buy 32-bit OEM and 64-bit OEM, however the license is only good for that actual version, so if you buy 32-bit OEM and later want to install 64-bit, you have to buy another license.

Retail Full and Upgrade have 32-bit DVDs in the package, you can order the 64-bit version for a 'minimal' cost from MS. Ultimate has 32-bit and 64-bit in the box.

Bugger. I don't mind paying 8k but 19k for the 'fully uncrippled' version is getting a bit outrageous.

Anyway, I checked out Fortune again today and although there is a M$ exhibition on with loads of Techno Promotional Babes *they still don't have ultimate in stock*. What they have is empty display cases with 'by order' stickers on them. IT City doesn't have it either.

Worse, the same people that told me 2 weeks ago that ultimate would arrive this weekend are now saying that it will arrive 'next month'.

Sigh...maybe my XP has a few more years life left in it. They'll have to start pushing the 64 bit version eventually.

Bugger. I don't mind paying 8k but 19k for the 'fully uncrippled' version is getting a bit outrageous.

Anyway, I checked out Fortune again today and although there is a M$ exhibition on with loads of Techno Promotional Babes *they still don't have ultimate in stock*. What they have is empty display cases with 'by order' stickers on them. IT City doesn't have it either.

Worse, the same people that told me 2 weeks ago that ultimate would arrive this weekend are now saying that it will arrive 'next month'.

Sigh...maybe my XP has a few more years life left in it. They'll have to start pushing the 64 bit version eventually.

May you a "little" late because last Thursday they have it at fortune!! By the way, the M$ exhibition is: IT-City!!

But the price of Baht 19,900.00 is a "Fortune"! To much expensive for an OS which will be mainly used in private!!

You can buy 32-bit OEM and 64-bit OEM, however the license is only good for that actual version, so if you buy 32-bit OEM and later want to install 64-bit, you have to buy another license.

Are the 64-bit OEM versions available in Thailand yet? In particular, I'm looking for 64-bit OEM Vista Business.