Builder to build a small roof behind house

runamok27

Does anyone know of any builders near Isaan, more specifically Udon Thani, who can build a roof behind my house. The approximate size is about 20 meters by 3 meters. It's basically a 3 meter extension of the current roof.

The 2 quotes I have so far are, 200,000 baht and 225,000 baht which strikes me as ridiculously expensive.

Sorry, I cannot recommend anyone in that area but I do agree with you that it seems a ridiculous amount. I would suggest that the people either 1) Don’t want to do a small job or 2) that is the (inflated) Farang price.
I suggest someone (Thai) talks to locals for recommendations but NOT their family members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What roof tiles? What support columns, Painting beams? What insulation? What steel?  Rain gutters included? If you had a specific list of what you want, written down, with quantities figured out, you can get a better price quote? It is not good enough to just say CPAC roof tiles.  Which exact model and color of the CPAC brand roof tiles make a difference in any true costing. 

About 6-7 years ago I built a basic 15x4m "lean-to" roof extension myself for about 12k for materials, using concrete posts, wooden beams, & 1.2x0.45m cement sheets. 

A few years later I added a 6x8m section with steel beams (some complex), galvanized steel posts, and with the same roofing sheets as before, and it was around 30k fully fitted.  Materials were around half of the price.

As a guide, including a full house I had built, I've found labour costs to be about the same ball-park as material costs. 

It's definitely worth making a full materials list and then costing them at your local merchant.  Perhaps even asking if they can recommend any contractors bases on your requirements.

When seeing the numbers here it probably really depends alot on how exactly it is made.

Here in my Mooban in Udon most houses have a roof added in front of the house to cover the parking space after the people buy the house, the size of the roof is about 5x3m, it's build on top of existing, about 1.2m high walls on two sides and attached to the house, so no fundament needed. A steelbeam construction with a metal roof on top, nothing too fancy

My neighbour (standard Udon guy, no Farang connections, so we can assume he paid the standard price) once told me that he paid 40k THB for this roof.

When looking at this price, and seeing that your planned roof is four times as big and probably needs a fundament the price that you were quoted doesn't seem to be so off. Maybe you should tell them that you are looking for a cheap solution.

Archived