Ban Leam Immigration Point

Recently went to the Ban Leam immigration border run point to get a second visa exempt 30 day entry on my UK pp. The Thai immigration are still having problems it seems counting up the number of VE days accumulated. My immigration officer was looking at my pp for ages, at multiple VE stamps dating back over the years along with Tourist Visas. He tried phoning someone for help but got no answer. He eventually called me inside and said I was already 90 days maxed out! He came to this conclusion as I had just completed a 30 day VE entry on the back of a 60+30 day TV. Nothing was lost in translation.

I simply pulled out a spreadsheet based on one I found on this site (thanks guys!) and showed dates of TV and VE entries and that I still had two more VE's allowed and suggested that he shouldn't include TV days in the 90 day VE calculation. The spreadsheet seemed to help no end and he waved me on. Luckily when I came back a few minutes later to reenter I got the same officer otherwise I might otherwise have had to go through this all again.

Even more annoying, though I couldn't be bothered to argue over a few baht having just driven myself 4 hours to the border, the Cambodians were asking 1100baht to issue a visa at the visa hut and another 100B at a the entry/exit stamp hut. The visa is still labeled at 20USD (about 700baht) in the passport.

Recently went to the Ban Leam immigration border run point to get a second visa exempt 30 day entry on my UK pp. The Thai immigration are still having problems it seems counting up the number of VE days accumulated. My immigration officer was looking at my pp for ages, at multiple VE stamps dating back over the years along with Tourist Visas. He tried phoning someone for help but got no answer. He eventually called me inside and said I was already 90 days maxed out! He came to this conclusion as I had just completed a 30 day VE entry on the back of a 60+30 day TV. Nothing was lost in translation.

I simply pulled out a spreadsheet based on one I found on this site (thanks guys!) and showed dates of TV and VE entries and that I still had two more VE's allowed and suggested that he shouldn't include TV days in the 90 day VE calculation. The spreadsheet seemed to help no end and he waved me on. Luckily when I came back a few minutes later to reenter I got the same officer otherwise I might otherwise have had to go through this all again.

Even more annoying, though I couldn't be bothered to argue over a few baht having just driven myself 4 hours to the border, the Cambodians were asking 1100baht to issue a visa at the visa hut and another 100B at a the entry/exit stamp hut. The visa is still labeled at 20USD (about 700baht) in the passport.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be attempting the same thing next week, with a similar visa background.

They probably learned basic arithmetic from their colleagues on the Thai side....

Sunny

Had a similar problem leaving Bkk for Taipei. The emigration lady noted a 3 below my exit stamp. Upon my question what the meaning of that was she said that had 3 entries in Thailand and therefore living here. As I kept on asking questions her supervisor came and explained it mend I had 3 days left of the 90/180 days visa exemption days.

I explained him that since Oct 1st I had 1 tourist visa with an extension, followed by another one that I only had partly used (12 days out of 60) and and 2 visa exemption entries back to back. The 1st VE was 4 days out of 30 and the 2nd 3 days. So which ever way you looked at it

I could never have 87 days used out of the VE allotment.

So he went on to his superior, who after a brief scan told him that I was correct and told me not to worry, I had plenty of days and entries left.

Still next time I will have the print out with me, even when I leave the country. :o

even after 4 months of practice counting, misunderstandings on the issue. very gracious of the officer to accept your printed evidence, had there been a long line and pressure to perform, tensions could have been higher.

I can see this is going to be a real headache for travellers.

Strange, as your history is all in the immigration computer...........

They check mine every time I go the local office for an extension,

why is it so difficult at the airport/border??

digitalbanana, when you have a moment is there a link to that spreadsheet example you found? i can see this is going to become a mandatory addition to your paperwork dossier. for every person such as yourself who successfully negotiated this process, i wonder how many were unjustly rejected in this exotic land of mystery and adventure. appreciate it sincerely