Tread on tyre is lifting ...New Everest

JAS21

At 3year service today noticed that the tread on one of my tyres was lifting. They are Goodyear Efficent Grip SUV (265/50/R20). Rated at 52psi and 975Kgs. They have only done just under 30K Kms and still have 5mm of tread left. They were built middle of 2015.

Looking around I can only find ‘same??’ Made in China but rated at only 36psi 8990 each or 26970 for four ... a pay for three get four offer!! which are no good and made 07/18 or at B-Quick who said they only had that size rated at 600Kgs and 51psi, again no good.

I am contemplating all four … expensive I know. I could buy just two as they are always swapped diagonal front to back.

I can suggest that a pot hole caused the damage ... I don't recall though and it hasn't been used 'off road'

Has anyone replaced their New Everest tyres in that size yet? What/where did you get them from please ... I have e-mailed Goodyear but won’t hold my breath

I live Pakkret area. ......thanks

Lucky Mrs J read the label

New_Tyre.jpg.86c2a0cba77895a64cc80e6510209472.jpg

What do Ford have to say about their OEM tyres failing so quickly?

Even thumping a pothole at speed shouldn't cause things to de-laminate. 

Does the EV have a "real" spare? Bung it on and put the iffy one as spare (assuming it's holding air). 

To Crossy ... Ford said more than likely a pothole ... I think if you are doing 90+kms and hit a bad one you won't do the tyre any good and maybe that will be start of the failure... thinking back it could have happened ... no 'real' spare.

To Trans ... I'm not sure that there are many brands that will fit the bill ... I think most of that size are for cars (V-rating). Tyre pressures can rise 4-6psi from cold so it appears that I need what was on ie 51psi

To KW ... I'll look but won't hold my breath for that size and rating ...

New_pressure.jpg.5190625d3ecb0e2c86293745bf95ac5e.jpg

New_107T.jpg.ddc2fda17b79a5522fda37a6d145d693.jpg

For the longest time, I ran Brigdestone Alenza H/Ls on my Pajero Sport 2012 (265/50/R20). I had them for 4 years and put around 100,000 km on them. Then I swapped them for Pirelli en sold the car...I am sure Brigdestone Thailand is selling Alenza tires right now which are SUV/CUV tires for on-road only while the Dueler series are for on-road and off-road. When I bought my Alenzas they weren't made in Thailand yet, but were made in the US and imported.

The Brigdestone Thailand website shows this:

Alenza 001 - 265 /50R20 111V XL    0.0    111V    

They got a load level of over 1,000 kg looking at the load index and their speed rating seems to be better as the Goodyears as well.

Edited by JoeW

20 minutes ago, JoeW said:

For the longest time, I ran Brigdestone Alenza H/Ls on my Pajero Sport 2012 (265/50/R20). I had them for 4 years and put around 100,000 km on them. Then I swapped them for Pirelli en sold the car...I am sure Brigdestone Thailand is selling Alenza tires right now which are SUV/CUV tires for on-road only while the Dueler series are for on-road and off-road. When I bought my Alenzas they weren't made in Thailand yet, but were made in the US and imported.

The Brigdestone Thailand website shows this:

Alenza 001 - 265 /50R20 111V XL    0.0    111V    

They got a load level of over 1,000 kg looking at the load index and their speed rating seems to be better as the Goodyears as well.

Thanks JW ... it's the pressure rating I need to find 111 is better but I don't need the V ... I'll have an ask around ... I had BS's on the V-Cross ...did squeal a bit at times

Edited by JAS21

JAS, you could consider Yokohama Parada Spec X.  https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/parada-spec-x

I used the 275/55R20 after seeing a lot of positive reviews.  These are very similar overall size to your 265/50R20 but have good load rating (117V) and excellent performance.  They wore a bit faster than the standard tyres like Bridgestone Dueller H/T but have more grip.  Not cheap though. 

Edited by Jitar

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Thanks JW ... it's the pressure rating I need to find 111 is better but I don't need the V ... I'll have an ask around ... I had BS's on the V-Cross ...did squeal a bit at times

The pressure rating on my old B/S Alenza was 52 PSI.

At 3year service today noticed that the tread on one of my tyres was lifting. They are Goodyear Efficent Grip SUV (265/50/R20). Rated at 52psi and 975Kgs. They have only done just under 30K Kms and still have 5mm of tread left. They were built middle of 2015.
Looking around I can only find ‘same??’ Made in China but rated at only 36psi 8990 each or 26970 for four ... a pay for three get four offer!! which are no good and made 07/18 or at B-Quick who said they only had that size rated at 600Kgs and 51psi, again no good.
I am contemplating all four … expensive I know. I could buy just two as they are always swapped diagonal front to back.
I can suggest that a pot hole caused the damage ... I don't recall though and it hasn't been used 'off road'
Has anyone replaced their New Everest tyres in that size yet? What/where did you get them from please ... I have e-mailed Goodyear but won’t hold my breath
I live Pakkret area. ......thanks

Lucky Mrs J read the label
New_Tyre.jpg.86c2a0cba77895a64cc80e6510209472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have you tried the Goodyear auto centre Changwattana Road? It’s near flyover past Mitsubishi garage on left, before the Bangkok waterway. I recently replaced 4 tyres on my SUV and had great service from them. Excellent English also!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Twigtom said:

Have you tried the Goodyear auto centre Changwattana Road? It’s near flyover past Mitsubishi garage on left, before the Bangkok waterway. I recently replaced 4 tyres on my SUV and had great service from them. Excellent English also!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

We only live a few hundred metres from there and over the last more than ten years we have bought all our tyres. It was called Eagle and we know the guy who used to run it quite well as he played golf where we do. It is still run by some family members.

It was those who offered the Chinese Goodyear's. Spoke to Goodyear themselves earlier today and was told the tyre could be sent back to them to confirm failure mode (will take about two weeks) ... guess it will come back ...  'sorry' but you hit  a hole in the road! So will go back there tomorrow and see if they can find Thailand Goodyear's.

Also spoke to Bridgestone and was told that Alenza are import and they don't have any in the size needed.

Yoko's ...  I think there is quite a difference in size between 255/50/R20 and 275/55/R20

Edited by JAS21

48 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

We only live a few hundred metres from there and over the last more than ten years we have bought all our tyres. It was called Eagle and we know the guy who used to run it quite well as he played golf where we do. It is still run by some family members.

It was those who offered the Chinese Goodyear's. Spoke to Goodyear themselves earlier today and was told the tyre could be sent back to them to confirm failure mode (will take about two weeks) ... guess it will come back ...  'sorry' but you hit  a hole in the road! So will go back there tomorrow and see if they can find Thailand Goodyear's.

Also spoke to Bridgestone and was told that Alenza are import and they don't have any in the size needed.

Yoko's ...  I think there is quite a difference in size between 255/50/R20 and 275/55/R20

I could order them for you or see if we got them in stock ????

Today visited my local dealer with MrsJ. Dealer explained that Thailand only has the Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV in that size and it is from China and that is what the Everest leaves the factory with.

So we pull down a tyre and looked at the small print on the side wall … it says max pressure 51psi. Suppose should have looked last time instead of believing the label!

Now my ‘faulty’ tyre is on its way to Goodyear and I have the temporary spare on. Will wait and see if Goodyear offers anything … unlikely I think. I don’t need to use the car whilst awaiting result.

The selling price at Ford was 7Kthb each. Dealer said 26,970thb for four. Complete alignment check/adjust on fitting, they have some really good gear. Every six months free swap around and check/re-balance, call in anytime with any car and will check/adjust pressures.  And I got a free Golf Umbrella.

Shame as there is still 5mm tread left but after three years the rubber is hard. Although our car port is large, two of the wheels get the sun for a few hours every day so will make some covers and use them…….DONE

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The selling price at Ford was 7Kthb each. Dealer said 26,970thb for four. Complete alignment check/adjust on fitting, they have some really good gear. Every six months free swap around and check/re-balance, call in anytime with any car and will check/adjust pressures.  And I got a free Golf Umbrella.

That sounds like a nice deal to me - but I bet you can get 2 umbrellas if you tell them your missus is a golfer too.

My Everest is 2 years old (2WD) with the same tyres as yours, and a full size spare - but under 18,000km. No problems so far. I'm not a fan of low profile tyres on an SUV, but they do perform quite well in the wet.

Assuming that you have kept your tyres at the correct pressure, I think that the "pothole" explanation is most unlikely. It will be interesting to hear what the Goodyear boffins say.

• 4 weeks later...

So the outcome ... as the local shop hadn't received a reply from GoodYear Mrs J phoned the company and spoke to the Tech.   

He asked for the ref. Number on the receipt that the shop gave me ... of course I had lost it ... he said ok I'll contact the shop.

Later the shop phoned and said that GoodYear will allow me 3472thb against a new one.

Just a small problem the set that the shop have are week 9. I need to phone around to see what others have ... MrsJ asked the Tech if he knew build dates but he said all tyres were at the werehouse so couldn't help.

Wonder if week 9 build is a problem ... opinions

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Is your spare full size? If so, I and if the damaged tire still holds air I would use it for the spare, mount the spare and get another 20-30K out of the set.

When you replace, pick the best one for the spare...

No

GoodYear have kept the damaged tyre