Belgian Embassy holds seminar on road safety

webfact

8 hours ago, ubon farang said:

Two cops on a motorbike pulled up beside me. Cop on the back of the bike was on his mobile phone. In front of them was another bike. 4 people were on that bike wearing no helmets and the cops did nothing.

I could be wrong, but I think they're not allowed to do 'check ups' by their own initiative. All the checkpoints are always organized and have at least one senior officer at hand.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Without helmets or safety gear.  If you compare child mortality due to motorcycle accident between Thailand and West - they are not 'smarter'.   I know plenty of Western families whose kids do moto-cross and motorcycle racing.  Those kids are slaughtered on the race courses - Thai children on the other hand are slaughtered on Thai roads.  Not 'smarter' at all.

Slaughtered?? my grandson was into motocross and when back in UK I went to many meetings to watch, the kids always wore full protective clothing this and bikes were always checked before they could race, yes I saw a few collision and in all my time the worst injury I witnessed was a broken wrist..please give me an update on the slaughter I must have missed it on the news

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ossy said:

What the hell has public relations got to do with a safety initiative? Farang or Thai, it might help if you could summon the strength to hit a few more keys and make words that not only smart <deleted> understand.

That's the best 'own goal' I've seen in a while. Try taking another look to see where you went wrong & while you're at it have a look at the rules as you cocked up there too ????

8 hours ago, joskeshake said:

For him no problem for safe driving, with his Rolls Royce and privat driver.

I had the opportunity to have a talk with him and several times with officials of the consular service

It has always been a relax chat with open and friendly people

Zero attitude

The opposite of what your post suggests

On 11/22/2018 at 5:32 AM, ubon farang said:

Might as well talk to the brick wall. As most of us have said on here  Make the cops do their jobs That won't solve it all but it sure will help. Yesterday I had pulled up at some lights waiting for Green. Two cops on a motorbike pulled up beside me. Cop on the back of the bike was on his mobile phone. In front of them was another bike. 4 people were on that bike wearing no helmets and the cops did nothing. So they can talk all they like but unless you start making your police force do their job then you might as well go sit in the corner and read a book

Read this one its even better than four on a bike. The wife has a shop. At midnight there was an accident outside her shop at the lights. 3 cars have stopped for the red light but the 4th car ran straight into the back of the 3 rd car A woman came over who was in one of the cars came over and started talking to the wife. She said to the wife the guy in the 4th car was so drunk he could hardly stand up He was talking to the other drivers and said " Please don't tell the police I was driving He told the other drivers his wife was coming down and she would tell the police she was driving and he went to hide somewhere. So down came the good wife took the wrap and nothing happened The wife did say to the woman you will tell the police the truth won't you  The answer she got was silence That means NO This is the mentality of what is going on here I said to wife later they just gave that drunken guy a free ticket by not saying nothing Next time he will do the right thing and get drunk and drive and maybe this time he will kill somebody. These people who said nothing are just as guilty as he is. By speaking out they might just save somebodies life next time before this idiot gets behind the wheel again. Wife said he must have been someone in an important job because the car he was driving was well over 2 million baht THe cops took a while to get there because they were probably asleep

Begin with an easy one: Motorcy or passenger w/o and cannot produce helmet(s) on the spot, gets bike impounded. Begin with a period of well-publicised announcements and then teams of one or two motorcy cops and a large flatbed truck with a loading operator and ramp. Ok I'll get back to reality now.

I'm all for safety, but educating minds, in my opinion, is one problem to tackle plus the RTP strictly implementing the law. The other thing to consider is road management and conditions.

Take the recent incident involving a young female student who was knocked down by an inconsiderate motorbike taxi in Bangkok.

That poor young girl could have easily been a readers daughter!

Many farang, break the law too by constantly riding motorbikes with no helmet, and on occasion drunk too, setting a bad example for those farang that do make the effort. Those farang that break the law should be ashamed! 

Action is needed, not yet another hot winded time and money wasting seminar with false smiles and promises.

Actions speak more volume than words!