First family holiday

Rc2702

I have to take my Mrs and our nearly 2 year old lad for our first family holiday. We are based in khon kaen and I know the Mrs loves the sea so I guess my only option will be via bkk and onwards from there.

We will not be driving, I'm after a basic spot without too much hassle getting there. With lots of amenities close by.  Basically I'm after walking distance to everything.

I'd love to check out koh libong and as mad as that sounds given its location I think it stands a chance as it would just involve trains to trang from bkk. We could fly to bkk get on train overnight to trang.  getting to koh libong from trang I recall was pretty painless.

Anyone been recently?

Other options I thought about:

Mae Phim in rayong. 

Prachuab khiri Khan- manow beach

Me and the Mrs have been to all of the above so we are going with what we know but perhaps there are readers who have found great holiday spots which were easy to get too, had a lot of amenities close by and kid friendly.

I am really excited about the trip but I do need a plan as I'm pretty sure my Mrs thinks it's not happening as I bottled it last year as the lad was only 10 months at the time and I just worry too much.

This year it has to be done.

39 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Basically I'm after walking distance to everything.

Mae Phim in rayong.

Most of Mae Phim isnt walking distance to anything much, so I would forget that one unless you dont mind being stuck on a beach once you have got there. An exception might be to stay in/near Ban Phe which does have beaches and shops and hotels and restaurants and supermarkets. There is a lot of transport to/from Ban Phe as it is the port for Koh Samet. You might even like to take your son on a boat trip for the day. Lots of farang and Thai tourists around there.

Prachuap Kiri Khan would also be more suitable, though much less touristy. The beach (which is very nice) is quite a long walk from the town but there is a proper sidewalk to get there. In the town there is a promenade but no beach. The train station is also quite near the centre.

I would find all those places very dull if I was there for more than an afternoon, but that's probably just me.

You can see exactly what they are all like on Google Street View.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, KittenKong said:

Most of Mae Phim isnt walking distance to anything much, so I would forget that one unless you dont mind being stuck on a beach once you have got there. An exception might be to stay in/near Ban Phe which does have beaches and shops and hotels and restaurants and supermarkets. There is a lot of transport to/from Ban Phe as it is the port for Koh Samet. You might even like to take your son on a boat trip for the day. Lots of farang and Thai tourists around there.

Prachuap Kiri Khan would also be more suitable, though much less touristy. The beach (which is very nice) is quite a long walk from the town but there is a proper sidewalk to get there. In the town there is a promenade but no beach. The train station is also quite near the centre.

I would find all those places very dull if I was there for more than an afternoon, but that's probably just me.

You can see exactly what they are all like on Google Street View.

Thanks, I think it may have been ban phe we went to a few years ago. We rented an apartment 20 metres away over a road was a beach. The apartment had a supermarket. It seems ideal we don't fancy doing much but enjoying the beach with the lad.

I liked manow as it was swarming with thai military as it's by a Base I think and the military families seemed very well behaved.

The idea of doing nothing every day in a relaxed atmosphere with no distractions sounds like bliss. I understand your comment regarding dull, as long as the two of them are happy I don't need anything else. I think ban phe might be a good option the apartment would be better equipped for feeding and stuff. 

Lots of members on here have much more experience than I do but your description of an ideal place almost sounded like Hua Hin to me. Easy to get to from Bkk, close to (clean) beach, everything in walking distance.

I was there for a week and would return again except for the fact that there are so many other great locations that I would like to experience.

Wherever you decide, have a great vacation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, neeray said:

Lots of members on here have much more experience than I do but your description of an ideal place almost sounded like Hua Hin to me. Easy to get to from Bkk, close to (clean) beach, everything in walking distance.

I agree that Hua Hin would probably suit the OP pretty well. The station is within walking distance of the town centre, and there is some nightlife for those who want it.

It's a lot busier and larger than Ban Phe or Mae Phim or Prachaup Kiri Khan though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks, I think it may have been ban phe we went to a few years ago. We rented an apartment 20 metres away over a road was a beach. The apartment had a supermarket. It seems ideal we don't fancy doing much but enjoying the beach with the lad.

I think that Ban Phe itself is bigger than you describe. It's a real port town and there is no beach in the centre of town. There is a beach very nearby though.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rg3Y15TGNvT2

There are a lot of places in the 20km on both sides of Ban Phe that are exactly as you describe though, and you could easily have been somewhere along there.

I like Ban Phe because it has plenty of restaurants and cafes and other shops.

I was living 3 years in Ban Phe Tapong and returned to Pattaya. The beaches are outside ban phe ok but sure there are better ones.

I had make a few friends in Ban Phe, one is owner of a German restaurant but that was mostly my hangoff.

The Beaches were often flooded with garbage, walking distance isn't much beside the usual tourist stuff booth and shops and the dinner turns quite expensive. A Family Pizza at the best place outside Ban Phe knocked the 600 plus baht sound barrier and wasn't worth it. In general the food was imo crap because of the low competition rate, its more an eat what you get mentality. 

For a 2 years old child I would say the shallow beaches in the Hotel areas are nice, lots of shade trees and Hotels opposite of the beach.

But that is it pretty much. Michael from the "German Restaurant" (Facebook) Ban Phe is sure helping you further if you decide for silence and go for the little lads beaches.. Beside they love kids, his daughter must be 3 now..  

Koh Samui has a lot to offer if you rent in the right place.  If you are interested, please pm me and I can send you photos of a lovely small Resort with large swimming pool, that is 300 meters from the beach and lots of restaurants, convenience stores within walking distance, plus three different nights of walking streets, which can be fun with fire shows on the beach and live bands.  Night times the Resort is very quiet.  Please pm me if you would like more info.

On 11/26/2018 at 2:27 PM, PatOngo said:

There's always the International World Class Family Resort of Pattaya...…....if you are game!

there is nothing wrong with pattaya-lots to do-day and night for kids and adults.

the neighbouring beaches are much nicer.

you dont have to frequent soi 6 or walking st---many decent places to relax or shop at..

R2D2 if you have a car I would really recommend you drive to the coastal area, overnight somewhere each drive. Without a car I think it is difficult with a young kid and to get about.

Rayong area is 8hrs; plenty of choice there (Rayong Marriot is a bit pricey but nice). Rayong Resort.

Hat Chao Lao near Chantaburi is a nice quiet beach area.

Trat - Centara is a lovely place.

Koh Chang has the feel still of a tropical island.

Pattaya but on the outskirts daytripping to things for the kid to do.

If you don't want the sea, how about river or lake or hilly:

Tohsang Khongjiam Resort near Ubon on the Mekong is a lovely place.

Khao Yai or Khao Kor.

57 minutes ago, murraynz said:

there is nothing wrong with pattaya-lots to do-day and night for kids and adults.

you dont have to frequent soi 6 or walking st---many decent places to relax or shop at..

Patts is a great place to push the Baby Buggy in the Street among all the motorcycles and cars.

What walk ways that are available to actually walk along are full of holes and garbage

Great place to bring your little lad.

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

R2D2 if you have a car I would really recommend you drive to the coastal area, overnight somewhere each drive. Without a car I think it is difficult with a young kid and to get about.

Rayong area is 8hrs; plenty of choice there (Rayong Marriot is a bit pricey but nice). Rayong Resort.

Hat Chao Lao near Chantaburi is a nice quiet beach area.

Trat - Centara is a lovely place.

Koh Chang has the feel still of a tropical island.

Pattaya but on the outskirts daytripping to things for the kid to do.

If you don't want the sea, how about river or lake or hilly:

Tohsang Khongjiam Resort near Ubon on the Mekong is a lovely place.

Khao Yai or Khao Kor.

OK bareback so fill me in on the mekong experience and how your boys enjoyed it and what age they were?

We have a car and our lad is golden in it to be fair but I don't like travelling in a motor to places we're not used to driving in and we're in khon kaen so that's a mission to the south. I know some may enjoy that car travel but I'd prefer to fly and spend as little time on the road as possible. 

I don't think we need much. My Mrs wants an apartment style as opposed to a hotel as she can make the lads food easier. We stayed in Mae Phim before the lad was born and we never went anywhere we just relaxed and with the lad we'd just want him to see and enjoy the seaside and play footy on the beach. We are not much into sight seeing or tours to be honest so it really is just the beach and local amenities and a pool we require.

I'd love a recent report on koh libong as that's where I took my Mrs for her birthday 3 years ago and she loved it and to go back with the lad would be a nice touch. It sounds a mission but it's easiest via train from bkk to trang and trang to the port is less than 40 minutes and the boat on the island is less than 10. 

6 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Koh Samui has a lot to offer if you rent in the right place.  If you are interested, please pm me and I can send you photos of a lovely small Resort with large swimming pool, that is 300 meters from the beach and lots of restaurants, convenience stores within walking distance, plus three different nights of walking streets, which can be fun with fire shows on the beach and live bands.  Night times the Resort is very quiet.  Please pm me if you would like more info.

Nah thanks for the offer like but I'd be happier amongst Thais than tourists. The spots I'm after are not necessarily rife with tourists and very quiet family friendly spots. I'm sure koh samui has that but I'm sure it has a lot more besides.

4 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah thanks for the offer like but I'd be happier amongst Thais than tourists. The spots I'm after are not necessarily rife with tourists and very quiet family friendly spots. I'm sure koh samui has that but I'm sure it has a lot more besides.

What about Krabi? Not many tourists there now.

18 hours ago, murraynz said:

...apart from the sewerage pumped into the sea. Wouldn't go paddling in it, let alone swimming -and definately not suitable for a young child.

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

OK bareback so fill me in on the mekong experience and how your boys enjoyed it and what age they were?

My kids would have been 12 and 10 when we went to the Mekong hotel I mentioned. They enjoyed the hotel and the trip. It was a destination on one of the many driving holidays we like to do (wife and i love to explore new areas) –

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:13 AM, Rc2702 said:

the above has my Vote, hurry before the secret is out - I can remember when Koh Samet was a hand full of bamboo bungalows, (Bring your own ice) and the only way to get there was Bus to Rayong, then Moto Taxi to the fishing boat area and negotiate a ride to the Island and negotiate your pickup a few days later (But that was in 2000)

On 11/28/2018 at 6:57 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

the above has my Vote, hurry before the secret is out - I can remember when Koh Samet was a hand full of bamboo bungalows, (Bring your own ice) and the only way to get there was Bus to Rayong, then Moto Taxi to the fishing boat area and negotiate a ride to the Island and negotiate your pickup a few days later (But that was in 2000)

2000? I remember going to white sand beach on koh samet in 1989 and it was developed, plenty of decent bungalows, regular ferries back and forwards and a pickup that ran from ferry to white sand.

Also remember going to koh chang in 1990 when their was no electricity, no roads, ah bliss!

On 11/28/2018 at 11:57 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

The only thing I did not like about PKK was our choice of hotel. Big white one next to forensics police or something. Really snooty hotel that said it had safes in the room and did not have any. The manor beach was great and the relaxed evening markets.

19 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

2000? I remember going to white sand beach on koh samet in 1989 and it was developed, plenty of decent bungalows, regular ferries back and forwards and a pickup that ran from ferry to white sand.

Also remember going to koh chang in 1990 when their was no electricity, no roads, ah bliss!

We must have went the road less travelled, there were about a dozen 300 baht a night bungalows on the beach, there was a restaurant, but we bought food from the walking BBQ folks..........sea food, fish etc etc.