Vehicle tax renewals to be suspended for non-payers of police traffic fines as agencies link systems

webfact

Excellent, the new century barely 18 years old and finally, Thais discover joined-up thinking.

Remarkable really, especially to anyone whos watched them in action at Immigration.

Spectacular it isn't.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Did they not bring in a law saying red plates can only be used for a very small number of days/ The plates belong to a motor dealer, so they should know which vehicle was using their plates when an offence was committed. 

Well  just  had a new  car and theyve told me 60 days for the real  number to arrive..... hua hin

1 hour ago, connda said:

"Vehicle tax renewals to be suspended for non-payers of police traffic fines as agencies link systems"*

*Owners of the following car brands will be issued a tax stamp and allowed to drive until the day after the statue of limitations runs out on their citation(s)- after which there will no longer be a fine(s) to be paid:
Aston Martin
Bentley
BMW
Ferrari
Ford-Mustang
Infiniti
Lamborghini
Lexus
Lotus
Maserati
Mercedes-Benz
Porsche

What!!! no Zondas??.......right im taking the bloody  thing back right now!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Did they not bring in a law saying red plates can only be used for a very small number of days/ The plates belong to a motor dealer, so they should know which vehicle was using their plates when an offence was committed. 

I have seen cars having red plates for ages.. I doubt anything has been done about this or if it's done then those with the $$$ as usual can get away with it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CLW said:

Best example is Vietnam that it can be done.
Problem here is simply law enforcement by the police and the crackdowns that only last one day instead of one month!

A few years ago in HCMC I watched motorbikes just being dumped in the back of large trucks at road checks. If the unloading wherever was done the same way it would be costly to fix the dents, scratched and broken bits on collecting your bike.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

No questions asked, just impound the vehicles until all fines are paid, most are probably under finance anyway, a repossession sale, way to go. If they can't pay the fines, they probably have not made the finance payments either.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, overherebc said:

A few years ago in HCMC I watched motorbikes just being dumped in the back of large trucks at road checks. If the unloading wherever was done the same way it would be costly to fix the dents, scratched and broken bits on collecting your bike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve73 said:

"now that would hurt"...?

No it wouldn't... just anyone hit would suffer more...

Better to impound the vehicle... and crush it on a 2nd offence.

For not paying some tax or fines? Get a life!

Edited by Cheops
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, steve73 said:

"now that would hurt"...?

No it wouldn't... just anyone hit would suffer more...

Better to impound the vehicle... and crush it on a 2nd offence.

Or sell it to raise compensation for innocent people injured through other people's bad driving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They finally agreed to share the cost of 150,000,000 million baht for the software linking each other’s databases?

Most likely to to be “reclaimed” from sharing the fine revenue perhaps.

Time to go pay for those tickets but oh crap I threw them away thinking pigs would fall from the sky before cooperation would ever occur between different government agencies as this is rarer then hen’s teeth.

Edited by smileydude

About time, it was only a matter of time. This could be the tipping point. Billions and billions of baht to be collected from red-light runners caught on cameras. We shall see what comes to pass. 

• Like 1

The point about paying vehicle registration fees (tax) is to be able to trace the vehicle & subsequently the owner and the driver. It also ensures the vehicle is insured & road worthy (presumably). So therefore I do not see a need to prevent registration due to unpaid fines as the courts can take the appropriate action in due course to recover the unpaid fines.

17 hours ago, 1337markus said:

LOL u think Somchai will pay 50,000 baht for having no licence????? ????

Why do you think there is such a fine?

For example, the story that sparked this thread states SPECIFICALLY there is not, and will not be, such a fine.

9 hours ago, sammydavis said:

you people are a bunch of girls.  it is not so bad in thailand. people just think the should  only look forward when they drive.  despite being so backwards 5555

I see you are new here. NO SEXIST REMARKS ALLOWED.  555

Edited by wgdanson

Just now, travelman6 said:

You mean Thailand is going to start using computers,  GREAT.  Now they need to teach Immigration how to use them also.  Might speed thing up a bit.

Yeh, running Windows 7, or possibly DOS.

27 minutes ago, wandasloan said:

Why do you think there is such a fine?

For example, the story that sparked this thread states SPECIFICALLY there is not, and will not be, such a fine.

Can you read at all?

legislation under a new Land Transport Act , Kamol said the hefty fine of up to Bt50,000 for the charges of driving without a licence or driving with an expired/suspended/confiscated licence

4 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Can you read at all?

legislation under a new Land Transport Act , Kamol said the hefty fine of up to Bt50,000 for the charges of driving without a licence or driving with an expired/suspended/confiscated licence

Come back in a year and ask how many have been fined any amount. I'll wager it'll be quite a low number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea said:

And will Thais take any notice if there Vehicle is not Taxed they will still drive the Vehicle. 

Probably not, but if it prevents being able to change the registered name they won't be able to sell it.... Not such a good idea for a new(ish) car, but if it's an old car they'll just run it into the ground.