Department stores make Thai Environment Day a ‘no plastic bag’ day

snoop1130

Department stores make Thai Environment Day a ‘no plastic bag’ day

By The Nation

389bd1182e0420bebbe044c9beebf665.jpeg

Department stores across the country implemented a “no plastic bag” policy on Tuesday to celebrate “Thai Environment Day”.

At The Mall Nakhon Ratchasima branch, a banner went up to remind shoppers that it would not be providing plastic bags for one day. 

Customers, however, could get nice fabric bags featuring Walt Disney characters instead. 

Some customers turned up at the shopping complex with their own fabric bags because they were aware it was “Thai Environment Day”.

Staff at the mall said customers were also allowed to borrow fabric bags if they wanted to buy anything. 

At 7-Eleven outlets, customers still got plastic bags as usual, though. 

“By the way, we asked first if customers wanted a bag. If they needed one, we were obliged to provide it,” a 7-Eleven staff member said. 

Some customers willingly forgo the right to get plastic bags, she added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359851

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-4

No store, no person today, asked me if I wanted a bag. No store staff today refused to give me a plastic bag. Everyone I saw today, leaving many shops today, all people were given plastic bags. The 7-11 staff tonight swiftly pulled out their own bag in which I rejected and presented my own bag.

I went to do a little bit of shopping at Gourmet Market earlier today.

When I was 'checking out' they showed me some sign which mentioned something about 'plastic bag free day' then they pointed at some other type of bag and said something in Thai whilst looking like morons pointing at my shopping.

The shopping was going nowhere at this stage, I had one large piece of salmon and about 4 yoghurts, I wasn't about to start juggling with that lot on my way back to the car park.

At this point I thought they were trying to give me the 'hard sell' on some 'bag for life' type contraption like they have in the UK, I was having none of it.

I looked them square in the face and told them to 'give me a plastic bag', they then opened up some metal lid at the end of the checkout, pulled out a plastic bag and filled it with my shopping.

Small victories....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Good on them. Many first world countries are only just starting no plastic bags so the Thais are right up there

I find it very hard to believe the whiners were not offered large brown paper bags for free. Quite strong and sturdy

Went to 3 stores in Pattaya today and goods were packed in paper bags

Everybody on TV crying about the rubbish and overuse of plastic but when it comes to them putting up an effort the big bwanas start to scream at the lowly natives because they should be exempt.

Totally pathetic!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Good on them. Many first world countries are only just starting no plastic bags so the Thais are right up there

I'm not so sure about this.

Some of the most 'ass backwards' places on the planet are also very concerned about plastic usage, take Saudi Arabia and Iran for example...

I suspect there's a lot more to this 'plastic story' than we've already heard.

I'm not so sure about this.

Some of the most 'ass backwards' places on the planet are also very concerned about plastic usage, take Saudi Arabia and Iran for example...

I suspect there's a lot more to this 'plastic story' than we've already heard.
Australia just started their main supermarket chains. How many in Europe doing it?
Thailand is developing and I'm really surprised they have taken the initiative. Good on them
  • Like 2

I went to the local Tesco near my home yesterday and was surprised that at checkout they only had paper bags.  They were kinda small and back at the house it reminded of me of the many years ago when paper was the only option and the multiple trips to the car to bring in the groceries since they have no handles.  Big C across the street still were using plastic bags and I suspect that Tesco will be back to plastic today!

8 hours ago, madmen said:

Australia just started their main supermarket chains. How many in Europe doing it?
Thailand is developing and I'm really surprised they have taken the initiative. Good on them

Plastic bags in South Australian supermarkets/ department stores were banned more than 15 years ago. Hard to believe the other States are that far behind?

A fantastic effort by all the stores and customers that participated in " Thai Environment Day ".

Now what really needs to happen, is that the dreaded Plastic bags are banner for good.

This will be a small step to reduce the amount of pollution and trash in the Globes 7th biggest polluting Nation.

Plastic bags in South Australian supermarkets/ department stores were banned more than 15 years ago. Hard to believe the other States are that far behind?
You better believe it. Coles and Woolworth banned bags 6 months ago but then did a backflip after backlash but are now on board

Still even 15 years for first world is pretty pathetic compared to Thailands early adoption as a developing country

Well done thais!

4 hours ago, madmen said:

You better believe it. Coles and Woolworth banned bags 6 months ago but then did a backflip after backlash but are now on board

Still even 15 years for first world is pretty pathetic compared to Thailands early adoption as a developing country

Well done thais!

South Australia is usually the State 15-20 years behind the rest so, indeed, that surprises me.

And I agree, congrats Thais!

I went to Tesco in my town on the fourth. I thought if there were no plastic bags on that day there would be alternative bags, either paper or to purchase. Guess what? I left the store with a shopping cart full of groceries and zero bags. I think if the stores are not going to provide plastic on the 4th of every month then they must supply atlernatives. To just not provide any bags at all is simply poor customer service. Oh, I forgot what country I'm now in... Anyway that's my "Nickle and Dime" rant!

7 minutes ago, phrisco17 said:

I went to Tesco in my town on the fourth. I thought if there were no plastic bags on that day there would be alternative bags, either paper or to purchase. Guess what? I left the store with a shopping cart full of groceries and zero bags. I think if the stores are not going to provide plastic on the 4th of every month then they must supply atlernatives. To just not provide any bags at all is simply poor customer service. Oh, I forgot what country I'm now in... Anyway that's my "Nickle and Dime" rant!

you're missing the point, the idea is to encourage primary recycling where the consumer uses/reuses their own plastic bag/s. this works well in my home country. you just need a little forethought.

Normal procedure at Makro although you can buy big plastic bags at checkout.  That's the reason that they still have guards at the car park exits, otherwise the Thai's would be leaving with loaded baskets and carts in the back of their trucks!

The Tesco near me had paper bags on the 4th but I went in today and they are back to plastic and want to double bag everything!