David's Kitchen Top 10 Worldwide

pegman

Great honour to Chiang Mai's David's Kitchen in making Trip Adviser's top 10 resturants in the world. This is a major achievement when you consider all the places in major countries like the USA, Germany and Japan placed lower. Any reviews or general comments from recent dinners? 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/04/tripadvisor-just-revealed-the-worlds-best-restaurants.html

1 hour ago, brommers said:

Since when was Trip Advisor the source of good judgement?

If David's Kitchen, which I enjoy by the way, is in the top ten worldwide it is simply a statement of how lacking is the judgement of the TA voting base. Sorry David.

1 hour ago, brommers said:

Good for you, myself I will go with the ordinary customers who are TripAdvisor posters over some snobby foodie critic.

But ordinary customers, like me cant afford or entertain those prices.

Besides that Trip Advisor reviews are rarely written by those who have a bit of money and education, they are writtrn by paid professionals and press ganged friends and family.

Look at all those "voted #1 whatever 2017/18 banners everyone has. Unbelievable.

Oddly enough I was lucky enough to be invited to the predecessor at the same location as DK., and that was outstanding, a pity that one failed

Someones having a laugh! Davids Kitchen food is good....for Chiang Mai, but there are probably at least a dozen better restaurants in Bangkok, and probably 50 better restaurants in somewhere like London!

I ve seen Trip Advisor telling people that "the best restaurant" in somewhere like Phuket, for example, is a 30 baht roadside noodle bar! Its all based on Trip Advisors users votes, and in no way makes an objective comparison between different restaurants. 

These world ratings to me are totally meaningless. The only worth on sites like Trip Advisor for restaurants are to use reviews as an indication of menu, price and location.

Same with reviews on Resorts ,hotels  etc they can be manipulated .My daughter who manages a GH in Austalia had one family who caused all sorts of problems due to alcohol ,noise and trashing the room.They were asked to leave . A few days later the guy wrote a scathing review full of total lies and it took the owner of the GH 2 months to get the site owner to delete his comments.

35 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I wouldn't eat there for free.

Tough crowd. It has Canadian lobster and Canadian Black Angus beef steak on the menu so can't be that bad. I'll be giving it a try my next time in CM.

https://davidskitchen.co.th/menu/

Any reviews or general comments from recent dinners? 

Yes, I didn't like it at all.   And I was with a big group so did get to check out lots of different things.

I'd say it's vastly overrated even within Chiang Mai, and that it appears on a list of world-anything means TripAdvisor has some serious head scratching to do.

At this point usually someone crawls out of the woodwork saying that anyone who doesn't like it just doesn't appreciate fine dining and to stick with fried rice from the corner shop.  Let me just say "LOL" to that in advance.

1 hour ago, pegman said:

Tough crowd. It has Canadian lobster and Canadian Black Angus beef steak on the menu so can't be that bad. I'll be giving it a try my next time in CM.

https://davidskitchen.co.th/menu/

I haven't eaten beef steak from any country in more than 18 years so not anything that interests me. Don't know if I've had Canadian lobster or not. Had Maine lobster and Phuket lobster. Again, doesn't interest me.

500 Baht for a small portion of chicken breast and potato wedges? No thanks.

But certainly up to you to enjoy.

Yeah. Great. The Chiang Mai threads got boring recently. Lets get back to slagging off places we dont like. I ll start! Dukes? Over rated Chez Marco? Over rated and over priced ( although you do stand a good chance there of spotting a bar girl out on a first date with her new punter!) Antonio ( near Empress Hotel), excellent for me. 

5 hours ago, Denim said:

Good name that Gaggan , because at 6500++ per person a lot of people would indeed gag.

http://eatatgaggan.com/menu.php

Yeah they upped their fixed price when they got their second Michelin star. Definitely pricey but worth it. I've eaten there three times in the past two years and it is truly spectacular. DK (or any place in CM) is not even in the same league.

Yes it amazing what distinctly average restaurants can achieve when you personally offer  incentive's  to leave a good review and even follow them up the next day by email.

Le Crystal, Oxygen and the others in CM not as good as the Kitchen, don't make me laugh!

Gekko food is rubbish, even worse is the poor guy who was trying to sell his restaurant (sic) a place John is it?

I got severe food poisioning there, my lunch companion has since died, now I am not blaming THAT on the establishment, but I have always kept quiet about the food posoning I got there as I felt sorry for the guy, but I definatley got it there and it ruined my Xmas about five years ago...but I did not say a word, the guy was struggling to make ends meet an was disabled.

I hope he finds a buyer instead of having to close down

If you want to think that dining in Dave's Kitchen is an unique experience and should not be missed I urge to come to your senses. Yes, the food, the decor and service are a lot better than most places in C. M. but for those prices you should be treated to much better cuisine. There are others restaurants attached to the higher end hotels that are a much better value and offer cuisine that is not the run of the mill type.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12/5/2018 at 12:32 PM, pegman said:

Thanks, David !

~o:37;

On 12/5/2018 at 6:41 PM, ThaiPauly said:

... my lunch companion has since died, now I am not blaming THAT on the establishment, but I have always kept quiet about the food posoning I got there.

Thanks, Khun ThaiPauly, for the heads-up: I am sorry, but i have to postpone our lunch get together indefinitely.

~o:37;

Tripadvisor gets scammed on a regular basis. The most famous scam happened when they listed a NON-EXISTENT restaurant as number one in London last year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2017/12/08/tripadvisor-gets-totally-punked-when-fake-restaurant-is-ranked-no-1/#5dc38c652c23

There is a restaurant that it lists as top 10 in Bangkok that shouldn't even be in the top 500 list.

I use TA regularly but you have to be very careful when reading the reviews. Far too many fake reviews including fake derogatory reviews.

9 hours ago, pegman said:

Sorry, but only first letter correct.

please have empathy for 037 .  he has not been himself ever since he found out the blended green and red fruit shake he drank was actually his pet frog.   weird delusions of metaphysical whimsiness ever since.  try to appease him with a like or laugh from time to time.   

Archived