Nonthaburi Immigration Extension of Stay with US Embassy letter

This morning I went to Nonthaburi Immigration to do my Extension of Stay based on retirement.

Absolutely no problem using only the US Embassy income affidavit as proof of income. Although I had printed out detailed statements of my monthly pension, I was never asked for any kind of proof to back up the Embassy letter.

The officer was very efficient, but I sensed that she had limited ability understanding English. She never spoke with me and only spoke with my wife in Thai. Through my wife I asked the officer what they would need as verification of my income for next year since the US Embassy is no longer issuing income affidavits. She didn’t seem to comprehend the question and mentioned only the 800,000 Baht in the bank. I did not pursue the question any further.

I will wait until the smoke clears and we have some kind of definitive answer by Thai Immigration as to what constitutes verification of income before I look into changing my type of visa for next year.

Note that for the last couple of years, Nonthaburi Immigration requires a Thai Consulate guarantee stamp attached to the Embassy income affidavit from the Dept. of Consular Affairs in Chang Wattana.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxx58 said:

The officer was very efficient, but I sensed that she had limited ability understanding English. She never spoke with me and only spoke with my wife in Thai.

This is not unusual, but does not indicate she doesn't understand English.  If a Thai relative/friend is present, they speak Thai with them, and it is up to that person to do the translation.  For this reason, it is sometimes beneficial to to bring a Thai with - to ensure you get the info and opportunity for follow-up questions directly.