Enough pages in my passport?

Hi all,

Sorry to ask a question thats probably been asked a zillion times,

I did search a bit but found one person say 1 page is ok and another said you need 4 pages so im not sure,

I need to go to Laos in 10 days and get a tourist 60 day visa, I only have 3 pages free in my passport to do so, is this going to be a problem? I really dont want to be stuck in Laos over christmas as I want to be back for my sons first real christmas dinner! do we know what the exact amount of free pages you MUST have to obtain a visa in Laos? surely its just 1? and then you need 1 obviously to leave Thailand/Enter the UK?

Starting to get close to the date now so I was just hoping one of you scholars could set me right,

Cheers in advance

Never heard about the spare four pages thing, so I'd think you should be fine. Thai visa from Laos takes up a full page, Thailand entry and exit stamp an additional third of a page (so only one free page left would be insufficient). You could probably manage this procedure twice with three empty pages, including 30 day extension stamps, but definitely get a new (48 page) passport at soon as you're back in the UK. 

1 visa for laos - 1 page

1 visa for TR visa - 1 page

1 stamp page - maybe 1 page

Not sure about minimums.

You could get a 90 day non o from Laos and extend that an additional 60 in Thailand. Based on being a non married parent to Thai child.

55 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

You could get a 90 day non o from Laos and extend that an additional 60 in Thailand. Based on being a non married parent to Thai child.

would be better than a tourist visa, 3 pages is plenty

Edited by steve187

9 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

1 visa for laos - 1 page

1 visa for TR visa - 1 page

1 stamp page - maybe 1 page

Not sure about minimums.

There is no minimum, other than what is physically required.

I went to Malaysia once with about two thirds of a page, unlike the previous visit the Malaysians went and put a small sticker in the middle of the spare space. When I came back into Thailand the IO was pushed to find room for the entry stamp but nothing was said.

I do recall a poster saying that they wouldnt let him leave Thailand because he only has 3 pages left in his PP , saying that Laos wouldnt issue him with a Thai visa with just a page and a half remaining .

Worse case scenario , you could find yourself stuck either in Thailand or Laos and having to quickly get a flight back to the UK to get a new PP , as you wouldnt be able to get a new one in Laos (because you have no permanent address there ) and you would have to go on overstay if you applied in Thailand .

For all the potential problems , I would have applied for new PP from BKK a few weeks ago , 

you need a page for the laos visa, a page for the tourist visa and a page for the 4 stamps from thaland and laos, I did this the a few months ago with 4 pages left. so you should be fine. the immigration officers actually stamped in spaces on previous pages. so I wouldn't worry too much. when you return get a new passport as soon as possible.