Diabetic wound care - what works?

BurgerGung

Am not insured and the local hospital lets one wait for hours.

° Soaking the wound in warm salt water, then

° cleaning it with H2 O2, hydrogen peroxide 6%, a big bottle is only 35 B

There is an infection with red and now a white ring has formed around the wound. Puss is yellow, what is this white stuff? Snow white... May try and post a photo later.

Thank you for sharing your insight or experience

Hard to say without seeing it but might be the start of new tissue.

Very bad idea to self manage a diabetic ulcer, it needs to be monitored by a trained health professional. Not necessarily daily, if you can do the wound care at home properly OK but at least once a week have a doctor take a look at it. (Sooner if the redness around it increases, or there is more pus, or it starts to look necrotic).

Was the hospital using full strength hydrogen peroxide? As that is not  recommended for diabetic ulcers and can actually impair healing.  For an uninfected wound, normal saline would usually be preferred.

If the wound is infected surgical debridement and antibiotics may be needed.

See  https://www.podiatrists.org/visitors/foothealth/general/diabwound

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a diabetic ulcer, it is obvious that your lifestyle is sub-optimal, as Type-2 Diabetes is entirely avoidable with a healthy lifestyle and diet.

Having debrided infected diabetic ulcers, I offer the following observations:

• Hydrogen Peroxide 6% is NOT 'Full Strength"  Medical grade H2O2 is 35%.  Peroxide attacks proteins.  Smaller organisms are more prone to damage and cell-death, which is why it is often used in wound care.  It MAY kill healthy tissue.  It should NOT be consumed internally, as it contains preservatives and stabilizers which are often toxic.
  • The 'yellow pus' is likely infected tissue being excreted by your immune system.  The 'white pus' is likely dead tissue being excreted by your body as 'foreign material'.  Peroxide often turns proteins 'white'.  The presence of both indicates that your management is not helping and may be making things worse.
  • The 'redness' you describe is an inflammatory response to increase the volume of 'immune-response' cells to the site of the infection.  Peroxide will kill these helpful cells just as easily as foreign bacteria or viruses.

If you are excreting both types of material, it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to visit a healthcare professional (even if you cannot afford it) as the next step is usually Gangrene, which can cause systemic infection.  Treatment for gangrene is usually amputation (in the event that it is caught early) and if left untreated, will spread systemically (throughout your body) and cause a slow, painful death.  Antibiotics are usually not effective in the event of a systemic infection.

I hope I got your attention.  Type-2 Diabetes can often be 'cured' or 'go into remission' through simple lifestyle and diet changes.  Sugar and carbohydrates are the fuel for infections.

Please close this application and get your self to the nearest urgent care/hospital/private doctor who is willing to treat you.  The price of not doing so is much higher than the price of visiting any 'expensive' hospital catering to foreigners.

• Thanks 1

If you have a diabetic ulcer, it is obvious that your lifestyle is sub-optimal, as Type-2 Diabetes is entirely avoidable with a healthy lifestyle and diet.

Having debrided infected diabetic ulcers, I offer the following observations:

• Hydrogen Peroxide 6% is NOT 'Full Strength"  Medical grade H2O2 is 35%.  Peroxide attacks proteins.  Smaller organisms are more prone to damage and cell-death, which is why it is often used in wound care.  It MAY kill healthy tissue.  It should NOT be consumed internally, as it contains preservatives and stabilizers which are often toxic.
  • The 'yellow pus' is likely infected tissue being excreted by your immune system.  The 'white pus' is likely dead tissue being excreted by your body as 'foreign material'.  Peroxide often turns proteins 'white'.  The presence of both indicates that your management is not helping and may be making things worse.
  • The 'redness' you describe is an inflammatory response to increase the volume of 'immune-response' cells to the site of the infection.  Peroxide will kill these helpful cells just as easily as foreign bacteria or viruses.

If you are excreting both types of material, it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to visit a healthcare professional (even if you cannot afford it) as the next step is usually Gangrene, which can cause systemic infection.  Treatment for gangrene is usually amputation (in the event that it is caught early) and if left untreated, will spread systemically (throughout your body) and cause a slow, painful death.  Antibiotics are usually not effective in the event of a systemic infection.

I hope I got your attention.  Type-2 Diabetes can often be 'cured' or 'go into remission' through simple lifestyle and diet changes.  Sugar and carbohydrates are the fuel for infections.

Please close this application and get your self to the nearest urgent care/hospital/private doctor who is willing to treat you.  The price of not doing so is much higher than the price of visiting any 'expensive' hospital catering to foreigners.
Agree with above except that it is NOT true that Type 2 diabetes can always be avoided. It often can, but not always as there is also a genetic component in some cases.

By "full strength" I meant undiluted 6%. As I would be shocked if a hospital had been using that.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app