Opening bank account in Bangkok bank

Has anyone used Siam Legal Services to opened bank account?   I m thinking to use them because I m new to Bangkok, would save me hassles ,  is it safe to have third party involved?   Or I can get letter from my embassy ,in that case can anyone advise me  a Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok which is easy to get it done ,foreign friendly bank. Secondly,  is it easy to open FCD account if you already have an thai bhat savings account? 

Edited by chrisatchch

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

If you need a service to open a bank account in Thailand to save me hassles you moved to the wrong place 

I don’t mind take hassle to get things done but I m on short stay so not enough time to visit branch after branch, otherwise I would do it on my own

53 minutes ago, chrisatchch said:

I don’t mind take hassle to get things done but I m on short stay so not enough time to visit branch after branch, otherwise I would do it on my own

Most of the banks wont even talk to you unless you have at least a 60 day Visa

• Like 1

Bangkok bank won't touch you without a work permit, don't even bother trying there, same as Kbank.

I opened up 3 bank accounts in early 2018 on a 30 day tourist visa. All 3 I needed at least a year condo agreement otherwise they wouldn't do anything. Citi I had to deposit 1 million baht (standard requirement), the others Krungsri and UOB it took 2 different branches to get open after the 1st branches for both said no can do without work permit. So I tried ones in a more foreign populated area.  I deposited 50k each for both, I probably could have opened with less but I thought more chance of getting one open if I offer a sizeable deposit instead of small one like 10k or 20k baht they would be more willing to help me. Both called the condo property to make sure the contract was legit etc. There's no easy way or way to get around the system, a couple years ago you may get lucky without a lease and without a work permit, on a 30 day visa but now days it will be the first thing they ask and then you will be out the door, they don't make any exceptions and a very strict on it now.

If you don't have a lease agreement or a retirement visa or work permit, don't even waste your time and frustration in trying to get a Thai bank because it won't happen.

Owning a condo with proof is nearly hassle free.
What I suggest is do what I did. Have a story that will help your case

Eg I want to open an account to transfer 10 million baht while I look for a condo to buy. Once that give you the account you don't need the imaginary transfer any more.

Be creative guys. Saying I just got off the plane as a tourist is not worth their time and effort

12 hours ago, hello55060 said:

Bangkok bank won't touch you without a work permit, don't even bother trying there, same as Kbank.

I opened up 3 bank accounts in early 2018 on a 30 day tourist visa. All 3 I needed at least a year condo agreement otherwise they wouldn't do anything. Citi I had to deposit 1 million baht (standard requirement), the others Krungsri and UOB it took 2 different branches to get open after the 1st branches for both said no can do without work permit. So I tried ones in a more foreign populated area.  I deposited 50k each for both, I probably could have opened with less but I thought more chance of getting one open if I offer a sizeable deposit instead of small one like 10k or 20k baht they would be more willing to help me. Both called the condo property to make sure the contract was legit etc. There's no easy way or way to get around the system, a couple years ago you may get lucky without a lease and without a work permit, on a 30 day visa but now days it will be the first thing they ask and then you will be out the door, they don't make any exceptions and a very strict on it now.

If you don't have a lease agreement or a retirement visa or work permit, don't even waste your time and frustration in trying to get a Thai bank because it won't happen.

I disagree with you, one thing is clear that every branch gives different experiences,  early this year, I went bangkok bank in udon thani with 30 day visa exempt, they said I need a letter from embassy or a government employee or a nurse,  to open, unfortunately I didn’t have time to arrange as I did this towards end .   Iast week I contacted Siam Legal, they said 30 visa exemption stamp is enough and they will accompany me to bank with their support letter, fee is 3000 bhat.    It’s not easy, same time not impossible.  Common factor is different experience in different.   I just like to know if anyone used Siam legal for this purpose! Cheers.

On 12/16/2018 at 6:09 AM, chrisatchch said:

is it easy to open FCD account if you already have an thai bhat savings account? 

It's actually easier to open an FCD account as you dont need a residence certificate for it.

Dont quite see why you are excluding all banks other than Bangkok Bank though. Many other banks offer better products and services, and higher interest rates.

14 hours ago, chrisatchch said:

fee is 3000 bhat.

Seems like a complete waste of money to me. A friend of mine opened THB and FCD accounts with Krungsri recently. It took about an hour and cost nothing, apart from the cost of the residence certificate for the THB account. No intermediary required.