Thai Visa in Phnom Penh (2018 update)

Hello,

Has anyone recently been to Phnom Penh for getting a Thai Tourist or Non-Immigrant visa?

Is it still working? And easy? Easy because I read somewhere you don't have to go to the Thai Embassy yourself. You can pay a travel agent. Is that right? Do you know a specific serious and genuine agency that do that?

I can get a non-immigrant visa based on marriage to a Thai.

I can also get a Tourist Visa obviously because I'm French (G7).

What else to know? Documents? Places?

Thank you

• Sad 1

I have always read that visas were handled by travel agents in Cambodia. A very sane way of doing business. In 2015, I did not have enough time left on my tourist visa to convert to a Non-O, so they told me I had to go to Laos or Cambodia. I chose Laos for reasons that were discussed here on this forum and I have never regretted that decision. I am not entirely sure that I would have been able to get the same results in PP.  I DID have my embassy letter when I went to Vientiane, but the officer wanted more documentation. I showed him statements from Social Security, Alabama State Teacher's Retirement and TIAA annuity statements and he accepted those once I combined the amounts for him. I hired a facilitator with a taxi, VERY cheaply and he walked me through the whole process. I DID notice that the Laotians and Cambodians seemed to speak a higher standard of English than Thais. If all you need is a visa rather than a conversion, I think Cambodia might be a good choice for you. PP is certainly more INTERESTING than Vientiane.

5 hours ago, alexlm said:

I can get a non-immigrant visa based on marriage to a Thai.

In this case, better to get a 1-year Non-O ME based on marriage from Savannakhet, and be covered for up to 15 months.  You get 90-days stay on each entry. 

If you only need 3 mo or less, then a single-entry Non-O from Vientiane or Savannakhet.

You can get a single-entry Non-O in PP, but it is questionable what they will want in documents

I can also get a Tourist Visa obviously because I'm French (G7). 

If you have very little Thai history in your passport, you should be fine. 

But, if you have a couple of tourist visas and/or visa-exempt entries, they may take your money and stamp "Void without prejudice" on your Visa.  These days, this is a place to go ONLY when you are first coming to Thailand, or recently purchased a new passport.

In all cases regarding Cambodia:

I always used the agent-service business located in the "Lucky lucky moto shop" (tuk-tuks know where it is). 

Expect the process to take 3 to 4 days.

Never return via the Poipet/Aranya border-crossing - all other land-entry-points are fine - Tourist Visa or Non-O.

If coming back on a Non-O, we do not have reports of denials at airports, and rarely interrogations.  But given the IOs motivation to hassle visa-holders (except 'elite'), and the reports of problems with Non-O holders at the Poipet/Aranya crossing, it would be wise to have your marriage-proofs ready to show, if asked - and ask your wife to be on standby to receive a phone-call, just in case.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I'm currently in Phnom Penh and visited Lucky Lucky visa agents last week with a view to getting a SE tourist visa. They told me its highly likely they'd "void without prejudice" after issuing the visa and I'd be 50 dollars down with a useless visa in my passport - although I do have a history of visa-exempt entries to Thailand as I visit there at least 6 times per year. Phnom Penh, as stated above, is now only for newbies who require a Thai visa. They told me the voiding of visas is extremely common for all nationalities, including Cambodians, at PP now.

"Voiding" ones happen to me in Saigon, 1 year ago. Questions for their reason wasn't answerd. (Youngish thai guy in the consulary agency, maybe a trainee who needed "show up power". An real unfriendly idiot!!!). Later heard similar complaints about Saigon. Don't go there anymore.

My recommendation: Hanoi or Vientiane.

Just saying.

Wish ya'll great holidays ☺

5 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I'm currently in Phnom Penh and visited Lucky Lucky visa agents last week with a view to getting a SE tourist visa. They told me its highly likely they'd "void without prejudice" after issuing the visa and I'd be 50 dollars down with a useless visa in my passport - although I do have a history of visa-exempt entries to Thailand as I visit there at least 6 times per year. Phnom Penh, as stated above, is now only for newbies who require a Thai visa. They told me the voiding of visas is extremely common for all nationalities, including Cambodians, at PP now.

A friend is going there for the 60 day visa in January, he is in his seventies, do you think he will have a problem, he has a few visas in his passport from Laos and Australia, 

My g/f is Cambodian and has been living with me in Thailand for the last 6years. She gets a 60 day tourist visa every time, toughend up lately, they now require her family book, ID card and bank book showing at least $1000 in it. One day I am expecting them to refuse though, guess we'll be living in Cambodia or Vietnam then. Crazy Thailand, we spend at least 600,000 bht per year here.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

A friend is going there for the 60 day visa in January, he is in his seventies, do you think he will have a problem, he has a few visas in his passport from Laos and Australia, 
Shouldn't have a problem if he can show onward air travel ticket and up to date bank statements with a couple of grand in.

I have known IOs to ask pointed questions as to reason (and sometimes to make racist remarks, alas). But everyone I knew got it. Just have reason ready.

The law is no different for Cambodians than for any other foreign national re extension of tourist visa. Just the attitude of the IOs.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, flynn said:

There are significant risks in Phnom Penh if you have several previous tourist visas. If your friend is articulate, I suggest he visit the embassy together with the agent to allow him to argue his case. The void without prejudice occurrences seem mainly to happen when the embassy does not have the opportunity of questioning the applicant directly. The agents do not want a rejection without the cancelled visa because you then tend to want your money back. If you are present, and the application is accepted, you seem to get your visa.  There is still a very good chance you will get the "travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas ..." stamp.

When your Cambodian g/f applied for her 60 days tourist visa, was airline ticket required? ...considering lots of Cambodians are coming in by land.

Required documents item 4 here:http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86336-Tourist-Visa.html
Never been asked for an airline ticket, usually travel overland anyway, it's different for Cambodians, other nationalities will get asked for proof of onward travel.

Thanks for the reply. May I ask is it a big deal for a Cambodian to extension his 60days tourist visa? Any additional requirements compared to other holders?
Shouldn't be provided he has a tm30 slip in his passport, he needs to go to the nearest immigration office within 24 hrs and register. Be wary of jomtien immigration though, as Sheryl says.