Most Thai voters part of a ‘silent majority’, survey shows

webfact

Most voters part of a ‘silent majority’, survey shows

By THE NATION

poll.jpg

FILE photo

DESPITE a general perception that Thailand is deeply divided politically, a survey released yesterday revealed that most people consider themselves part of a silent force |that remains undecided about ideology and has yet to take a political stance.

The Super Poll survey conducted between December 10 and 22 among 1,094 citizens found that 59.1 per cent of Bangkok residents and 57.2 per cent of people living outside the capital saw themselves as members of this silent majority.

About 29 per cent of Bangkok respondents said they supported the current military-led government, compared to 11.7 per cent who said they do not.

Outside the capital, the government had the support of 28.6 per cent of respondents but was disliked by 14.2 per cent.

Another surprise in the survey shattered the supposition that the Pheu Thai Party has little support in Bangkok.

Nearly a third (31.9 per cent) of people in the city said they would vote for Pheu Thai if the election were held that day.

The new, pro-democracy Future Forward Party would get 29.2 per cent of the respondents’ votes in Bangkok, the Democrat Party 27.8 per cent.

Less than 5 per cent of respondents both in and outside Bangkok said they would vote for the pro-junta Phalang Pracharat Party. Other parties split the remaining 9.8 per cent of supporters.

Super Poll director Noppadol Kannika commented that the government must be fair in all situations or risk losing support.

The junta-led government’s support had eroded steadily since it seized power in the midst of political turmoil, he said.

In another poll released yesterday by Suan Dusit, 32.55 per cent of respondents expressed doubt that politics and the economy would improve anytime soon, after more than four years of junta rule, which was supposed to bring about reform in both. Suan Dusit quizzed 1,149 people from December 18-22, asking what they were most curious about regarding the election scheduled for February 24.

The top question asked, by 52.74 per cent of respondents, involved political parties’ policies and their practicality.

Nearly 34 per cent wondered about transparency and poll fraud.

Others had questions – in descending order of interest – about constituency mapping, candidates’ personal details, the possibility of another election delay, electoral |laws and regulations, voting procedures, the selection of the premier, and MPs changing their party affiliations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361008

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-24

What a hotchpotch of figures!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Nearly a third (31.9 per cent) of people in the city said they would vote for Pheu Thai if the election were held that day.

The new, pro-democracy Future Forward Party would get 29.2 per cent of the respondents’ votes in Bangkok, the Democrat Party 27.8 per cent.

That adds up to 88.9% of voters who would not vote for a pro-junta party. Yet 29% support the junta and 59% have no idea what they are going to do at the next election!

I hope none of these pollsters are involved in the February vote counting!

14 minutes ago, madmitch said:

That adds up to 88.9% of voters who would not vote for a pro-junta party.

It also (if they actually vote in the election) can become a powerful coalition that can block Prayut from becoming an unelected PM and keeping pro-military leadership out of a newly elected Executive branch (assuming Prayut allows it so without resorting to Article 44 to dismember new Cabinet nominations).

Wow according to this survey the Future forward party and PTP (at least in BKK) are real close vote wise. I can only hope this is the same in the rest of the country.

Not that i expect any polls to be of much use here. But i would certainly be happy if Future forward got such a large chunk of the votes. I said it before the old parties are done for they never bring change and only serve themselves, change will come from new parties. 

At this point in time, the army is so despised by the Thai people, the only way they are going to win an election, is to steal it outright. Nearly everyone I talk to is so tired of their moral crusade, their useless rants, their ineffective policy, their protection of the police, the wealthy, those that are connected, and anyone in power. Corruption is as rampant as ever. What has improved? They are sabotaging the economy, and tourism, and they are making life far harder for the average ex-pat, with inane policies.

Get out. Get out now. You are not wanted. You are not needed. You are way, way, way past your sell by date. 

What's that hand doing inside the ballot box? It looks like paid junta hand checking the voting papers and removing any that are unfavourable.

International observers won't be allowed anywhere near the ballots boxes. They will be whisked away to a secluded place for "recounting". 

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

who you vote for darling I asked ?

No Idea was reply,

Some time ago, Isaan, the numbered vans were out blaring in the local elections. I asked my neighbours who they would vote for. One said No. 2 the other No. 5. What are their names? I said. Sheepish "don't know" answers from both. 

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The sheople are starting to question everything.   There are no answers, just questions when it comes to the questionable actions of the junta.  They, the average Thai, are the answer to their questions.  We can only hope they realize this one day.

Yes they are the answer and the day will come just as it had for many other countries, however - unfortunately it is debatable if the initial change lives up to expectations - but one step at a time is one step in the right direction. 

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Super poll? 1000 people? Not good at maths but I guess it represents around 001%  of the voting population.????

Do some research on statistical sampling, paying particular attention to the size of samples and their selection. You'll be surprised!

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Just about sums up Thailand ! ????????????

At least some are aware that fraud is likely, unfortunately it probably means that they are resigned to the fact that voter fraud is likely and in the typically Thai, way will just turn their head and accept it. 

Archived