Fake News! Don't Share!  Police have NOT changed their emergency number

webfact

Fake News! Don't Share!  Police have NOT changed their emergency number

6pm1.jpg

A police spokesman has described a story as fake news after Thai social media shared a post that the RTP had changed their phone number from 191 to 911. 

A poster claimed this would bring the police in line with international emergency numbers. 

Pol Col Krissada Patanacharoen said it was nonsense. The number to call was still 191 in Thailand. 

He warned people not to share the news saying that 5 year jail terms and 100,000 baht fines could be given under Thailand's strict computer information legislation.

In addition people in trouble who needed police help could be seriously affected by the fake news, he said. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-24

Of course it would be a smart move to redirect 911 to 191 then international users would haver an easier time (possibly with 911 getting you an English speaking operator). Maybe this fake news will spur them into action (nah, I thought not).

In the UK where the emergency number is the classic 999 dialling 911 will get you through as will 112 the Europe-wide emergency number.

It is high time there was an international standard and, despite being a Brit, 911 it should be.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Of course it would be a smart move to redirect 911 to 191 then international users would haver an easier time (possibly with 911 getting you an English speaking operator). Maybe this fake news will spur them into action (nah, I thought not).

In the UK where the emergency number is the classic 999 dialling 911 will get you through as will 112 the Europe-wide emergency number.

It is high time there was an international standard and, despite being a Brit, 911 it should be.

Muc h too logical.  Shame on you for trying to get the Thai Government to make sense.

I believe that if there is to be an international emergency number then it should be a very simple number that cannot be mixed up with any other number and to me the best number would be either the British 999 or the Australian 000 numbers. No one would be able to mix either of those numbers up, but wait I am on TVF, so anything is possible to mix up on here.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:00 PM, happy chappie said:

I didn't know that Thai police do emergency.the fastest I've ever seen them move is when issuing me a fine.

I called once for an emergency, they sent a single officer who took over an hour and a half to arrive on scene on his motorbike...

42 minutes ago, JeffreyO said:

I called once for an emergency, they sent a single officer who took over an hour and a half to arrive on scene on his motorbike...

Lucky you, i called 4 months ago 191 emergency number, a lady was put on the line ( perfect English) told her about an intruder at our home, me being alone stuck on my bed, still waiting for the lazy bar stewards to come.

Archived