Where to hire a local for various small jobs - Chiang Mai

Hi,

I've lived in and out of Bangkok for a couple of years. I finally think I've decided on Chiang Mai to settle - but I've only been here 2 weeks so we'll see.

I'm having trouble hiring someone to assist me with various things (I've listed some examples at the end of this post in case anyone knows of someone who is looking for a job).

It's mostly "personal assistant" type work - not admin work... just personal "errand" work really. I really don't want to trawl forums and post questions individually. I just prefer paying someone to knock these tasks off for me.

I've looked at the following sites:

- Thaivisa

- jobsDB

- gigajob

- Jobthai

- Careerjet

- learn4good

- expat.com

and posted a job on 3 of them but all the above sites, when looking for personal assistant jobs list one or two jobs - that's it. I can't seem to find a "thriving" job website where I'll get more than 1 random reply from someone saying, "I can help, contact me".

Anyone have any ideas? I don't mind paying for an ad in a local paper... but I'm still learning how things work here. Maybe that's a silly idea.

I don't mind hiring ex-pats... there's plenty of people who have lived in Chiang Mai longer than me that could probably answer most of my questions in a couple of hours over lunch.

Things I'd love some help with:

- Finding a gym with personal trainer

- Local or Expat car nut, with car buying experience, to help me buy a used car for 250,000

- In the mean time, someone to find me a good deal on a long-term car rental

- General assistance with buying things, running errands, researching online, etc

- Finding some hard to find products (eg; almond oil)

- Drone registration

- Teaching me Thai (I'd be happy with a teenager / uni student who wants to do language exchange)

- Assistance opening a bank account (I got one opened in BKK a year ago but they closed it. Now in Chiang May I need to do the same - is there a Bangkok Bank here?? Are the rules the same as in BKK?)

- Call DTAC about me not being able to send text messages internationally

- etc, etc

And then... long term... Company formation, and I need people with skills in coding, content writing, design, marketing, etc.

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Don't worry, you'll soon be set up with a wife who can do all that.

Failing the wife, the local motorcycle taxi guys are an excellent source of info (they can help with finding a wife too).

funny, but not wrong.

Some of these things can be answered if you just open a thread about them here on Thaivisa in the Chiang Mai forum ????

Here a Facebook group for people looking for work / job offers in Chiang Mai which you could try as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1716401051932362/

How do you plan to pay this person? Per hour or a monthly salary? How many hours of work per month do you estimate, what is your budget and what kind of experience do you expect?

On 12/25/2018 at 8:02 PM, jackdd said:

Some of these things can be answered if you just open a thread about them here on Thaivisa in the Chiang Mai forum ????

Here a Facebook group for people looking for work / job offers in Chiang Mai which you could try as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1716401051932362/

How do you plan to pay this person? Per hour or a monthly salary? How many hours of work per month do you estimate, what is your budget and what kind of experience do you expect?

Yes but I'm not looking to find these answers myself - that would defeat the purpose, as the actual answer I'm looking for is "where / how can I hire someone?".

Thanks for the link to the FB group... if only I could understand a word of it ????

I plan on paying cash, Oper hour, hours "as required", no budget, no expectations. I've lived in developing countries my whole life... Thailand is relative new to me... just having trouble finding that someone who is local, can speak Thai and English and wants some ad-hoc work, by the hour, on the side of whatever it is they are doing at the moment.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:17 PM, Crossy said:

Don't worry, you'll soon be set up with a wife who can do all that.

Failing the wife, the local motorcycle taxi guys are an excellent source of info (they can help with finding a wife too).

True, and they're great on-the-spot when you want to know something... just go ask a taxi guy. But I'm looking to hire someone to make all that happen. Cost is largely not an obstacle. I have a full-time PA in Australia for handling all sorts of things for me there. I'd like the same here.

Motorcycle guys won't have excellent English, and finding someone that can do all the things I listed in my sample of tasks in my original post.... not going to happen IMO.

Anyway, if anyone knows a good place to hire people.... as the 7 sites I've looked at only have one or two job posts for "PA" type work and the 3 I posted on got one response from someone saying "I can help you".... let me know.

In Australia I'd put an ad on seek.com.au and have 100 applicants within 24 hours. Where to find the equivalent efficiency in Thailand?

OR... Does anyone want a job FINDING me some local PA-style person? Or maybe I could hire an expat as the "PA" - someone who knows Chiang May well and can speak Thai? I'm offering... any takers?

13 minutes ago, truelifeajf said:

In Australia I'd put an ad on seek.com.au and have 100 applicants within 24 hours. Where to find the equivalent efficiency in Thailand?

I think the problem is the lack of english skills here in Thailand, so most people will be "afraid" to talk to you. If you were Thai it would probably also not be too difficult to find somebody who is interested, but you might be surprised by their attitude if you are new in Thailand.

In about March i will move to Chiang Mai, if you still don't have somebody by then you can send me a PM, i might be able to help you.

The other posters who suggested a wife / girlfriend might look like they were just kidding, but there is actually a bit of truth in it, you might be able to find a girl who can help you at least with some of these things.

Archived