Mango sticky rice & Tub Tim Krob listed in CNN's 50 best desserts around the world

webfact

Mango sticky rice & Tub Tim Krob listed in CNN's 50 best desserts around the world

rice-mango.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 26 December 2018 (NNT) - CNN's recent list of the world's 50 best desserts includes Thailand's mango with sticky rice and water chestnuts in coconut milk. 

The news agency explains that a true sticky rice with mango experience uses either the sweet Nam Dok Mai or the more acidic Aok Rong mangoes that pair well with sticky rice. Meanwhile, the chilled bowl of crunchy chestnuts in coconut milk, known locally as Tub Tim Krob is easily worth the flight to Bangkok. 

Thailand's desserts are often influenced by foreign delicacies, such as Hong Kong's Dan Tats, or egg-based tarts, while the Sweety Gloden Drops or Thongyib Thongyod has its origins in Portugal. However, mango with sticky rice is a unique Thai dish due to the use of coconut milk over the mango and rice. 

Other famous dessert items on the list include Black Forest Cake from Germany, Brownies from the United States, Chocolate Chip Cookies from the United States, Chocolate Mousse from France, Doughnuts from the United States and Japanese Cheesecake.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-12-26

I’m trying to think of some amazing puddings ( as an English person and very middle  upper class - desserts - what are they? ) 

OK - sadly the Brits were out in the Caribbean ( my family arrived in 1640 and left in 1800 ) so many puds are based on treacle, golden refined syrup  and molasses )  Some are based on caramel.

My favourites 

1. Tarte Tatin - invited by the Tatin sisters - an wonderful combination of caramel, pastry , butter and apples 

2. Steamed ginger and treacle pudding- to die for

3. Summer pudding - a basin lined with stale bread - then filled with fantastic summer fruits - the best in the world - a bit of sugar and lemon - leave for 24 hours 

4. A very very recent invention ( my partner used to work in the kitchen of the chef who invented this) - sticky toffee pudding - if made with care and attention- ambrosia.

5 Classic Christmas mince tart - a recipe going back to the 16th century - divine 

6 Savarin - a light yeast raised cake - baked in a ring mould - then soaked in a rum syrup - traditionally decorated with chantilly cream and fresh fruit .

Get cooking people 

Happy New Year