Sakhon Nakhon: 15-year-old denies her older sister pimped her

webfact

15-year-old denies her older sister pimped her

By THAVEEP SRISUCHAT 
THE NATION 
SAKHON NAKHON

904b3edf82681b6258a7187e7c03f562.jpeg

A 15-YEAR-OLD girl has joined her mother to ask for justice for her older sister, who faces human-trafficking charges.

Undercover cops apprehended the older sister, 28, in October for allegedly pimping her 15-year-old sister, who is considered a minor. The older sister has been detained for over a month and her bail application has been denied, lawyer Kajornsuk Benkhai said, adding that the human-trafficking charge was too severe and inaccurate. 

“On the day they were arrested by police officers in disguise, the official contacted [the younger sister] directly [for sexual services], not her older sister,” the lawyer said. 

The 15-year-old sister reiterated that it was she, not her older sister, who had persuaded the other to sell sexual services in October when they were arrested. 

She said a man contacted her to arrange for two women who would be paid Bt1,600 each, so she asked her sister to go along. When they met the customers at a resort near the Sakhon Nakhon-Kalasin bypass, a drunk customer refused services from her sister. She then walked into another room alone and was met with four officers, she said.

Both sisters were arrested and taken to Muang Sakon Nakhon Police Station and the 28-year-old was charged with human trafficking. 

The younger sister said both of them worked in the sex industry and had plied their trade together on four or five occasions. The 15-year-old said she was in desperate need of money for her baby and to cover family expenses. 

“It was me who persuaded my sister,” she said. “I needed the money to pay for milk and diapers for my baby. I didn’t think my sister would be charged with human trafficking. We did not regularly sell sexual services, we only did it when it was very necessary,” she said. 

The 53-year-old mother, a Sakhon Nakhon resident, said she did not know her daughters were working in the sex trade until they were arrested, adding that it saddened her but she believed the charge was too severe.

The two sisters will hand in letters to related agencies in Bangkok to seek justice, Kajornsuk said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361191

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-27

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

I doubt the police understand the concept of human trafficking. 

No, probably not.

But of course it is a very handy hook to hang a coat on.

The 15-year old needed money for her baby, makes you wonder where the father is, if known....

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

No, probably not.

But of course it is a very handy hook to hang a coat on.

The 15-year old needed money for her baby, makes you wonder where the father is, if known....

Disappeared, along with all the millions of other Thai men who get underage girls pregnant and then abdicate all responsibility.

21 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Disappeared, along with all the millions of other Thai men who get underage girls pregnant and then abdicate all responsibility.

If women demand independence, they should also accept responsibility.

I believe Thai men have the right attitude, and that we western men have failed miserably with our foolish 'white knight' notions.

They don't want our protection, they want equality, let's give them what they want.

Could a 15yo girl drag her 28yo sister into prostitution is the real question in this story.

And IMHO with some young women, yes they could.

I really don't see how 'trafficking' could be applied to anyone in this case.

There has to be some real crime going on somewhere in Sakhon Nakhon that these cops could be tending to. Young women prostituting themselves in Thailand. Not exactly public enemy no. 1.  I have to wonder how many times these cops ran this scam, and extorted free sex from young women before they found one (15 year old) that they were reluctant to have sex with because she was too young? I'm thinking that, once they found out she was 15, they had to do something "police like", out of fear that she would "kiss and tell". I suppose I am a less than trusting individual.

Glad to hear that it was the 15 year old pimping out (kind of) her 28 year old sister..... instead of the 28 year old pimping out (kind of) her 15 year old sister.

That, of course, makes the whole escapade so much more palatable... :crying:

Except when you kinda forget through all that that a 15-year-old shouldn't be working as (need to be working as) a prostitute in the first place, with or without her elder sister.

While we're at it, how about arresting the mother for child neglect -- didn't know her 15 year old with a baby was regularly working as a prostitute, didn't wonder where she was disappearing to at nights, didn't wonder how the 15-year-old was coming into money, etc etc.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except when you kinda forget through all that that a 15-year-old shouldn't be working as (need to be working as) a prostitute in the first place, with or without her elder sister.

I doubt you'd find any Thai that thought 15 was too young (or any Asian for that matter).

Part of the problem with many laws in Thailand, they were forced on them by the USA and the police won't enforce them (unless there's money to be made).

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I doubt you'd find any Thai that thought 15 was too young (or any Asian for that matter).

Part of the problem with many laws in Thailand, they were forced on them by the USA and the police won't enforce them (unless there's money to be made).

Many of us have Thai and Asian friends with teenage children who disagree with your generalization - at least you left room for doubt. 

The laws, forced on them or otherwise are sound (as many of Thailands laws are, with the exception of a couple of horrific clangers i.e. deformation of character laws etc), I think everyone agrees that it is just the consistent and stable enforcement of these laws which is so lacking.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many of us have Thai and Asian friends with teenage children who disagree with your generalization - at least you left room for doubt.

I form my opinions from what I see and hear going on around me, not from the imaginary words of my imaginary Asian friends.

Archived