Daily wage changed to reflect skills standards

webfact

Daily wage changed to reflect skills standards

By The Nation

1a1b729da741ef5153d3f7c12aaa0589.jpeg

File photo

FROM JANUARY 1, the daily wage for skilled workers in 19 occupations will range from Bt345 to Bt858 so as to reflect current skills standards.

The National Wage Committee (NWC)’s eighth notification of the new wage rate according to skill standard was published in the Royal Gazette on December 26. It will be in effect from January 1. 

The 20th NWC meeting passed a resolution on October 17 for the wage rate to be established according to the skill standards of 19 occupations in the fields of mechanical technicians, industrial arts, logistics industry and furniture industry.

Based on skills

Under the new rate, a seamster (skill level one) shall be paid no less than Bt345 a day, while those at level two will get no less than Bt410 and level three no less than Bt550. 

An automotive painter (skill level one) shall be paid no less than Bt440 a day, while those of level two shall get no less than Bt550 and level three no less than Bt585. 

An auto mechanic (skill level one) will be paid no less than Bt400 a day, while those of level two shall get no less than Bt490 and level three no less than Bt858. 

A jeweller (stone setting) who is of skill level one will be paid no less than Bt440 a day, while those of level two shall get no less than B605 and level three no less than Bt825.

A furniture carpenter (skill level one) shall be paid no less than Bt370 a day, while those of level two shall get no less than Bt425 and level three no less than Bt480. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361264

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-28

In all politeness ????  Having had a great deal of exposure to the Thai labour market, there will be a lot that think they qualify for the Bt854 wage's ????

Then reality sets in, "qualified and competent" Thai tradesmen can earn a lot more than 854 Baht now, there are so few of them!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

An auto mechanic (skill level one) will be paid no less than Bt400 a day, while those of level two shall get no less than Bt490 and level three no less than Bt858.

Will mechanics have some sort of identification on their shirts so customers could choose the guy with a skill level three?

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Will mechanics have some sort of identification on their shirts so customers could choose the guy with a skill level three?

The level 3 guy will look at your vehicle and tell you the problem is the brake pads, the level 1 guy will be the one that's removing the wheels on your vehicle, level 2 will be replacing the brake pads and level 3 will be the guy that's just checked over all the workmanship has been carried out properly before you leave the garage.

1 hour ago, meinphuket said:

Skills, what skills ? Fleecing foreigners and each other ?  Cloud cuckoo-land-ish dreams.....

I've witnessed some super skilled tradesmen at work in Thailand. 

Car paint sprayers here don't have to worry about this changes as they will already be earning a Baht 30k plus salary, double what the new rate is.

Like the UK is with regards to vehicle repairs, the mechanic is a rare tradesman to find but every place needs them, what the UK has is mainly fitters, as in they fit new parts rather than repair the broken part, in Thailand they are generally very good at repairing broken or damaged parts. This won't be obvious if you're in the Benz or BMW dealership workshop as they're trained to push new parts, however step into an indy garage for your respective brand of vehicle and you'll find they're trained to repair what can be repaired.  

15 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

The level 3 guy will look at your vehicle and tell you the problem is the brake pads, the level 1 guy will be the one that's removing the wheels on your vehicle, level 2 will be replacing the brake pads and level 3 will be the guy that's just checked over all the workmanship has been carried out properly before you leave the garage.

But that would make me the level 3 guy.

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

But that would make me the level 3 guy.

Indeed and if I wanted to be the level 3 guy I'd do the same and take my vehicle to a repair place and give them all the direction, however I quite like the places I use to take full care of my vehicle's, and besides I'm a little past it for lying under a vehicle checking that XYZ repairs have been carried out properly. 

Had some works done in my new kitchen which included wall painting . Away for 2 days and work complete on my return . Took me a full day to get the emulsion off the stone floor tiles and I told them to protect the floor . Not worth paying them 350 baht a day , better off doing it myself . Seen other examples of Thai house painting , my 7 year old granddaughter could do better .

As a footnote how do all those DIY stores make a profit when well overstaffed with young Thais who mostly have no product knowledge and like to chat in groups and burst out with Sawadeecrup at every opportunity.

So annoying that I try to dodge them .

16 minutes ago, superal said:

As a footnote how do all those DIY stores make a profit when well overstaffed with young Thais who mostly have no product knowledge and like to chat in groups and burst out with Sawadeecrup at every opportunity.

So annoying that I try to dodge them .

I pondered that a few years ago; I believe the answer is that individual manufacturers pay for them........ probably one of the reasons you won’t get independent advice.

13 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Where can I find the complete list of professions and levels with daily wages.

The ones mentioned in this article are just a few.

According to the news article published in the OP,  you can find the list in the issue of the Government Gazette dated 26 December 2018.

Archived