Need Good Bank In Chiang Mai

Looking at the new rules for ritirement visas I need to show money transfered to Thailand every month. I intend to move to Sarapee area in a few months and need to have my settlement visa sorted out so I can import my personal possesions without paying tax. To do this I need a bank account.

Can anyone suggest a good bank in the Lampung, Sarapee area please. Also is it possible to open the account from England or do I need to make a special trip there just to open the bank account?

Any bank will do but not the Thai Farmers Bank. Two times I sent money from the UK to my wife's family who had an account with this bank. Both times I paid all the fees at this end so the recipient would get the full amount of what I sent. Each time the bank deducted charges. My bank HSBC contacted them each time and told them they were not allowed to do this as they had already been paid. But their answer was "We do what we want". My bank had to refund the money to me and now will not accept transfers to this bank any more, where the fees are prepaid.

Regards CHris

You will have to be here to open a bank account and you should have a non immigrant visa or most will not bother. Bangkok Bank is probably your best choice upcountry and I have never had any wire transfer issues with them.

As far as I know there is and has never been any requirement for "monthly" transfers. Do it a couple times a year and everyone should be happy and much less fees involved.

Any bank will do but not the Thai Farmers Bank. Two times I sent money from the UK to my wife's family who had an account with this bank. Both times I paid all the fees at this end so the recipient would get the full amount of what I sent. Each time the bank deducted charges. My bank HSBC contacted them each time and told them they were not allowed to do this as they had already been paid. But their answer was "We do what we want". My bank had to refund the money to me and now will not accept transfers to this bank any more, where the fees are prepaid.

Regards CHris

Why didn't you simply add an extra 500 baht to your deposit for them? When I asked TFB about their charges for receiving overseas transfers, they told me their maximum charge is 550 baht, which is automatically deducted.I've never had any problems, and for the last few years, cash wire transfers are almost immediate. None of the multiple days/weeks anymore, except for checks, in my experience. I deposited a personal check here written to me on an American bank.. 40 days to clear for each check.

I like TFB, and have had better experiences with them than some other Thai banks, but everyone has their own experiences...

Siam Commercial Bank SCB were the first in Chiangmai to introduce direct (SWIFT) transfers. Takes about 3 days uk to Thailand. Branches everywhere plus they do online banking as well.

You would need to be in their branch to open an account for fairly obvious reasons. Same reasons worldwide.

Most likely need the right visa and or work permit. But good intentions and a good introduction can circum navigate the need in a lot of cases.

CT

Most likely need the right visa and or work permit. But good intentions and a good introduction can circum navigate the need in a lot of cases.

CT

I think that anyone with a non-immigrant can open an account, but they need your work permit to give you a normal interest- bearing account...I think. Last year, my local TFB called me to say that they needed my WorkPermit info before they could credit my interest. They said it was a new rule from the Bank of Thailand...I never did anythng, but the interest was paid, and I haven't heard nary another word about it...Oh, they did deduct 15% tax on the interest.

I have around six accounts in the "realm" Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers and Krung Thai, and I have never been asked for or been required to have a visa of any sort.

Of course what was required yesterday might not be the same as what is required today.

I have around six accounts in the "realm" Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers and Krung Thai, and I have never been asked for or been required to have a visa of any sort.

Of course what was required yesterday might not be the same as what is required today.

Remember when they asked to copy your passport? They don't need to ask you anything about your visa because it's seen when copied. They don't need to tell you anything because you already have a visa.

Next time, try to open an account without having a visa. Then you will be among the clued-in, rather than the cluleless :o

Remember when they asked to copy your passport? They don't need to ask you anything about your visa because it's seen when copied. They don't need to tell you anything because you already have a visa.

Next time, try to open an account without having a visa. Then you will be among the clued-in, rather than the cluleless :o

Bitchy, bitchy :D

Next time, try to open an account without having a visa. Then you will be among the clued-in, rather than the cluleless :D

Who's f^&*£"g clueless??

Of course I had a visa otherwise I would not have been in Thailand in the first place and the bank in particular.

The visa was a "visa on arrival" nothing more nothing less.

I suppose that you are one of these self proclaimed "experts on every imaginal aspect of residing in (or visiting) Thailand.

Met many of these people hanging out in the bars spouting forth with all the "newbies" hanging on their every word.

Little do the newbies know just what a load of s^*t and cr*p they are listening to.

:o

Next time, try to open an account without having a visa. Then you will be among the clued-in, rather than the cluleless :D

Who's f^&*£"g clueless??

Of course I had a visa otherwise I would not have been in Thailand in the first place and the bank in particular.

I suppose that you are one of these self proclaimed "experts on every imaginal aspect of residing in (or visiting) Thailand.

Met many of these people hanging out in the bars spouting forth with all the "newbies" hanging on their every word.

Little do the newbies know just what a load of s^*t and cr*p they are listening to.

Sorry, I don't have time for fragile little egos. Too bad your feelings were hurt. My comments were strictly tongue in cheek :D

But, It seems you are still among the cluleless. C’est la vie :D

Who's f^&*£"g clueless??

Sorry, I don't have time for fragile little egos. Too bad your feelings were hurt. My comments were strictly tongue in cheek :D

But, It seems you are still among the cluleless. C’est la vie :D

Not sure now who has the fragile ego.

But if you are indeed french or of french extraction, that go's a long way to explaining things.'

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I also want to get a bank account in Chiang Mai -- since I will begin working there in August 2004.

Preferably, I would like a bank that has on-line services and good links to the US banking system. Any current suggestions?

Many thanks!

D~<3

Hi, I openned a " saving account" at Bank Asia in Chiang Mai Night Bazard Branch about four years ago. I came in Thailand with visa on arrival and did that since then. I come about two to three times a year in Thailand. I openned an account because I rent a house full year/montly paid since a little more than 4 years. I make regulary SWITF operations between France and Thailand two ways witout out any problem, any question. I just openned a nex account last time I went, beacsue the firts account was in two names and I cannot track it by Internet banking. new, the new account is internet banking (free) and I can manage every think from France.

Best regards.