Retro Looking Yamaha M/c?around Thailand..

NEVADA2

I haven't checked but believe they are around 50,000 baht, a little bit more than a mio. They are based on a mio, share all the running gear with just the cosmetics changed eg. bodywork, handlebars etc. The mio is a great little bike, well designed and reliable. This new bike is a very good idea and will sell well

I haven't checked but believe they are around 50,000 baht, a little bit more than a mio. They are based on a mio, share all the running gear with just the cosmetics changed eg. bodywork, handlebars etc. The mio is a great little bike, well designed and reliable. This new bike is a very good idea and will sell well

Hey Goldfish, The bike i am talking about is not a scooter, moped type.It looks like late 60s BSA or Triumph M/C.

The only color i saw was white gas tank with black frame and some chrome.It is a full size bike.it had full size tires

and what looked like BigBore singel jug engine,sounded good and these bikes i have seen are new.Did say Yamaha on the seat.It looked like it rolled right out of the 60s.I would really like to own one.

Regards,Nevada2

It sounds like it may be one of the SR range - they currently make an SR400 (used to do a 500) details here: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/news/2006/02/20/sr400.html

and here is another picture with a two tone tank:

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup/sport...r400/index.html

The one you saw was probably an import as a quick look at the Yamaha Thailand site there is no mention of it being sold officially in Thailand. If that is the case and you find one for sale make sure its got all the green papers and import duty paid :o

It sounds like it may be one of the SR range - they currently make an SR400 (used to do a 500) details here: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/news/2006/02/20/sr400.html

and here is another picture with a two tone tank:

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup/sport...r400/index.html

The one you saw was probably an import as a quick look at the Yamaha Thailand site there is no mention of it being sold officially in Thailand. If that is the case and you find one for sale make sure its got all the green papers and import duty paid :o

:D Kebabman, Thanks for the pics, kinda looks like the SR but different.I have seen a few of them in Bangkok

and Surin,(were i live)I have only seen thais riding them and they all looked the same.I don't believe they are imports.There really nice looking, very plain not alot of chrome, they were all the same color,white tank black frame.Oh well headed back to Surin in 8 days for some R+R with my sweet baby. 1 month rest, 3 months work. Not to bad.Well thanks for the help,will be doing some reserch when i get home.

Thanks, Nevada2

Hey madjbs, thats not it, not even close.I know i'm not seeing things,(not that old yet)LOL..

I find it hard to believe im the only one that has seen them, but hey when i get home in 6 days, i will have to chase one down

and ask the owner were he got it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Best Regards, Nevada2

• 4 months later...
Hey madjbs, thats not it, not even close.I know i'm not seeing things,(not that old yet)LOL..

I find it hard to believe im the only one that has seen them, but hey when i get home in 6 days, i will have to chase one down

and ask the owner were he got it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Best Regards, Nevada2

Hi Nevada2

I too live in Surin and am looking to buy a SR400. I have had many old British 'thumpers' and I like the cafe racer styling of them, the only trouble is here in Thailand its nearly impossible to track one down. I can see a BKK trip is needed, I think.

Did you ever get a bike? and any tips would be appreciated.

Regards

D the D (an impatient biker)

Edited by Dave the Dude

There are a few late model Yamaha SR 400's in Chiang Mai. When we parked our CBR150 and Phantom 200 at the parking lot recently, there was one SR400 and a VFR, V-4 Honda 400 sportbike. Motley collection. Also, Honda had a retro 60-s version of its 500 thumper several years back.

Hi PeaceBlondie

Thats interesting;there are about the same amount running round in Surin,but the real problem is FINDING ONE FOR SALE!. I think maybe its the sort of bike owners keep for a long time and the only example I'v checked out locally had no paperwork with it, plus it seemed expensive too. I am suprised Yamaha dealers hav'nt got a data-base of bikes available. In the Uk I could find the most obscure model (bike!) at the click of a few buttons, but T.I.T. I suppose.

Regards

:o

Hi PeaceBlondie

Thats interesting;there are about the same amount running round in Surin,but the real problem is FINDING ONE FOR SALE!. I think maybe its the sort of bike owners keep for a long time and the only example I'v checked out locally had no paperwork with it, plus it seemed expensive too. I am suprised Yamaha dealers hav'nt got a data-base of bikes available. In the Uk I could find the most obscure model (bike!) at the click of a few buttons, but T.I.T. I suppose.

Regards

:o

Funny you should mention this!   Today I was down in Yannawa on Rama 3 and saw a pristine SR 400 Yamaha 2004 model for sale.  I mean pristine!  Just been imported and is still not documented which takes 60 days from date of purchase.  16,000 kms   Beautiful!  120,000 baht.

Name of the company is

C. P. Charoen Yont Ltd Partnership.

95/294-7 Rama 3 Road

Chongnonsee Yannawa

Bangkok.

Telephone 022944888 or 022944666

Fax 022941171

Good luck!

BB

PS actually I would like to buy this but the wife says 2 is enough!

Edited by Badbanker

I think the OP is referring to the Yamaha Fino. Retails for 40K baht.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Gallery/index.asp?gMode=8

Hey Goldfish, The bike i am talking about is not a scooter, moped type.It looks like late 60s BSA or Triumph M/C.

The only color i saw was white gas tank with black frame and some chrome.It is a full size bike.it had full size tires

and what looked like BigBore singel jug engine,sounded good and these bikes i have seen are new.Did say Yamaha on the seat.It looked like it rolled right out of the 60s.I would really like to own one.

Regards,Nevada2

Actually no, he is not talking about a Fino!  If you read more clearly the above quote from the OP's second clarifying statement in this forum you will understand!   He wants a retro Yamaha SR400!

BB

Edited by Badbanker

I know of at least 30 of these SR 400 for sale as I've been trying to by one for some time now. The problem is that none of these bikes has a green book! I know of at least 2 people ( 1 farang and 1 Thai) who have had thier bikes confiscated for not having a "green book" that proves its legal. Beware of anyone who is seling a bike with a legit invoice. An invoice still doesn't make your bike street legal. Also, registration of a 250+ cc motorcycle here can cost you between 20000 to 50000 baht.

I will gladly pay 120000 baht for the SR400 mentioned earlier, but only after all the registration buisness is finished and a legit green book comes with it.

You may also want to bring the seller of any used bike with you to the Transportation office and do the transfer together.

ps. If anyone finds a nice street legal SR400 or 500 for sale...let me know! :o

I know of at least 30 of these SR 400 for sale as I've been trying to by one for some time now. The problem is that none of these bikes has a green book! I know of at least 2 people ( 1 farang and 1 Thai) who have had thier bikes confiscated for not having a "green book" that proves its legal. Beware of anyone who is seling a bike with a legit invoice. An invoice still doesn't make your bike street legal. Also, registration of a 250+ cc motorcycle here can cost you between 20000 to 50000 baht.

I will gladly pay 120000 baht for the SR400 mentioned earlier, but only after all the registration buisness is finished and a legit green book comes with it.

You may also want to bring the seller of any used bike with you to the Transportation office and do the transfer together.

yikes!...somebody needs to use his spellcheck..sorry..lol

ceen wurse :D

Sadly as we all know there is no other avenue to get a large bike registered in Thailand.  

I believe that the person that has this and a number of other large bikes for sale is relatively legit and I know he has been in business importing bike for at least 12 years that I can remember.   I think a term of sale would be that you have an agreement to buy but not until you have the green book will you proceed any further with the final payment.

Maybe you need to get an escrow or some such agreement with him.   I know he has sold literally hundreds of Large Motorcycles over the years I have known him.

BB

ceen wurse :D

Edited by Badbanker

Hi all!

I was looking for a Yamaha SRX 400 too, but the only one with a green book had too many problems with the engine...

I diverted my search to a Suzuki Bandit 400 and found some good options.

Still love the single cylinder feeling but have to settle for a 4-in-line jap.

I mainly rely on this website for my search: www.mocyc.com

It's useful if you have somebody reading thai though...

Hi there

I must say that I never has worried about the green book, maybe in Bkk or Pattaya it can be a problem, but up country the cops dont care, I've driving for 10 + years on different bikes, all with no book, and never did I have a problem, even been in a few minor accidents, and nobody lifted a finger

It seems like if you want to do things the right way here in LOS then you get more problems, than if you just go with the flow.

Tilapia.