Death Threat At Mcdonalds

kippers

I would far rather be served by a disgrunted Thai who does not say 'thank you' than a beered-up Brit sporting tatoos, shaven head and knuckledusters.

As a Brit with short hair (what's left of it) normally only a couple of millimetres long, currently wearing a Red Bull singlet, with a body that has spent 50+ years playing in the scrum, and still available for any local team, I do get a lot of wary looks from the rest of the human race.

But I was brought up to hold doors open, to say 'please' and 'thank you' and all the other things that help society get along. In fact, I find that in my years playing various team sports, it was the only way to prevent things developing into total war. And that is the problem world-wide these days.

Listen to a grumpy old fart complaining about the current generation. I had to in my youth. But having been bombed out in WWII, evacuated, living in other peoples houses for several years, I had to have the basics of politeness just to survive. Nowadays there are not the incentives to be polite, unless you are ambitious and want that good job. And there are not that amount of ambitious youngsters working in Ronald McD's House of Flavour these days.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After living in Pattaya for several years, it seems to me it is wrong to expect what used to be termed 'good manners' from Thai's --- or virtually any other race of people who are under the age of 40. Of course as any rational person knows, there are exceptions to this generalisation.

Pattaya seems to attract a certain breed of foreigner, (especially Brits), who are sadly mostly lacking in manners of any kind, whether holding the door open in a shopping centre for the one behind, to smashing into you when walking by and not apologising.

To expect it from a fast food worker from a different culture, in what can only be termed the most depraved, disgusting and desperate part of Thailand which I have had the misfortune to visit, is not only stupid, but shows a lack of understanding both of Thai culture and the general state of the world today.

My teenage son summed it up perfectly --- he calls them the 'FUMF' generations. The abbreviation is for

('f*** you, me first').

I would far rather be served by a disgrunted Thai who does not say 'thank you' than a beered-up Brit sporting tatoos, shaven head and knuckledusters.

It seems to me that those of us who were educated with manners, and thoughtfulness for others, should simply realise that time when these things matter are fast disappearing. The tide has turned, and the majority of people are simply not educated to care what other people have to suffer, because of their lack of manners. This is a pandemic, not particular to Thailand.

I agree the airplane seat is a good example, as is smoking in non-smoking areas, loud and lewd behaviour in front of minors, sneezing and hawking over everyone else, and I could go on, but you get the idea.

In my experience, Thai's outside of Pattaya (say in Surin or even Bkk), are far more friendly and smiley to foreigners. Perhaps they have not suffered so much rudeness from farangs as the long sufferiing Thai's in Pattaya?

What saddens me most of all is that these examples of ex-pat 'maleness' so prevalent in Pattaya will soon be considered the norm, and that these types of people will be considered a true representation of all British people. Nothing could be further than the truth.

Thank god my parents were never like you.

What a crock of <deleted>. :o

After living in Pattaya for several years, it seems to me it is wrong to expect what used to be termed 'good manners' from Thai's --- or virtually any other race of people who are under the age of 40. Of course as any rational person knows, there are exceptions to this generalisation.

Pattaya seems to attract a certain breed of foreigner, (especially Brits), who are sadly mostly lacking in manners of any kind, whether holding the door open in a shopping centre for the one behind, to smashing into you when walking by and not apologising.

To expect it from a fast food worker from a different culture, in what can only be termed the most depraved, disgusting and desperate part of Thailand which I have had the misfortune to visit, is not only stupid, but shows a lack of understanding both of Thai culture and the general state of the world today.

My teenage son summed it up perfectly --- he calls them the 'FUMF' generations. The abbreviation is for

('f*** you, me first').

It seems to me that those of us who were educated with manners, and thoughtfulness for others, should simply realise that time when these things matter are fast disappearing. The tide has turned, and the majority of people are simply not educated to care what other people have to suffer, because of their lack of manners. This is a pandemic, not particular to Thailand.

I agree the airplane seat is a good example, as is smoking in non-smoking areas, loud and lewd behaviour in front of minors, sneezing and hawking over everyone else, and I could go on, but you get the idea.

In my experience, Thai's outside of Pattaya (say in Surin or even Bkk), are far more friendly and smiley to foreigners. Perhaps they have not suffered so much rudeness from farangs as the long sufferiing Thai's in Pattaya?

What saddens me most of all is that these examples of ex-pat 'maleness' so prevalent in Pattaya will soon be considered the norm, and that these types of people will be considered a true representation of all British people. Nothing could be further than the truth.

Personally, I like her material, it's quite funny:

post-9005-1172474024_thumb.jpg

Well couple of issues.

As to the OP WAY WAY too much paranoia over some spotty herbert who works in McD's and probably sleeps under a bridge. Worst trouble I have ever been in was with a permanently drunk mamasan from a bar in Jomtien. She thought I said something bad to her which I actually didn't it was another guy but she was apparently trying to get me beat up. I turned up late one night with two BIB I know and she knows and they spent ten minutes staring at her until she dared to speak to them and then they said 'you have problem with our friend?' at which point she wet herself and she's been kissing my arse ever since. Cost very little

As to the broader point, whilst I have in the past decried Tammiflu's nonsense I have to say I am slowing coming round. Pattaya has got noticeably worse over the last 12 months and crime is heading out of control and the Thais attitude to falangs seems to be getting more shitty by the day. I am not upping sticks just yet but my last visa run was to Snooky, I am starting t spend more and more time with friends in Hua Hin and well who knows...

As to flights and seat backs the answer is business class! Ethiad to/from UK is little more than cattle class on BA/Qantas/whatever. Sorted.

('f*** you, me first').

I'm not so sure that the good lady is not a million miles from the truth.

There sure is a lot of rude, drunken and viloent farangs around in Pattaya these days. Doesn't excuse the beghaviour of the guy at MacDonalds, but it is neverletheless an intersting observation on the world wide change in social values and behaviour, which also seems to pervade the tourist areas of Thailand.

I was in Carrefour the other day, looking for something in their computer section, and was experiencing total indifference, bordering on rudeness by the staff there - that is - until I spoke nicely to them in reasonably clear Thai. The change in attitude was astounding. They couldn't do enough for me, and smiled and chatted away like they had known me for years. I can only put this down to the bad manners they frequently receive at the hands of ignorant farangs; as once they realised I wasn't of that ilk, they were polite and helpful. Again, it doesn't excuse their intial behaviour, but EFL's thoery may go some way to explaining it.

Icecubes, I'm sure EFL would regard you as the 'son from he..ll' , and didn't anyone tell you that it is not good manners to use bad language in front of ladies? :D:D

They obviously never taught you how to speak to a lady.

Funny how you make a post like EFL did, and right away someone replies and proves their point. :D

She is bang at it.

Stereotyping, Tarring all brits with the same brush.

Dam right offensive in my book

You go and except it, I don’t

Yes a crock of <deleted>. Stand by it.

A lady, my arse. More like a snob from afar.

BTW manners is a two way street not one way.

She has none.

Have a nice day

Edited by icecubes

She is bang at it.

She has none. :D

Have a nice day

The more you post, the more you prove her point. You just can't help yourself can you? :D

Pray tell me where in her post did the good lady exhibit bad manners?

The only bad manners, to say nothing of crude and grubby language is being displayed by the very person who claims that she is stereotyping Brits :o

Keep going..... you're making more of a fool of yourself with every post..... :D

She is bang at it.

You go and except it, I don’t (Surely 'accept' in this case? 'Except' would only negate your argument??)

She has none.

Have a nice day

She is bang at it.

She has none. :D

Have a nice day

The more you post, the more you prove her point. You just can't help yourself can you? :D

Pray tell me where in her post did the good lady exhibit bad manners?

The only bad manners, to say nothing of crude and grubby language is being displayed by the very person who claims that she is stereotyping Brits :o

Keep going..... you're making more of a fool of yourself with every post..... :D

Get on with it.

She is bang at it.

She has none.

Have a nice day

(english_farang_lady) ...............................................What saddens me most of all is that these examples of ex-pat 'maleness' so prevalent in Pattaya will soon be considered the norm, and that these types of people will be considered a true representation of all British people. Nothing could be further than the truth

Ice cubes, the footnote in her post did state that there is a danger of all Brits being tarred with the same brush, she certainly wasn't doing so.

It is a sad fact of life that the more unsavoury elements will be noticed more than those people who go quietly about their business.

Mobi D ark

Ok , Had enough of Thai visa, way to many Plastic people.

<deleted> off, licence to post revoked for good . good bye. :o

Fare thee well, my friend.

Plastic Man shall await the return of the iceman...

Maybe when he is in a bettter mood? :D