Airline EVENTUALLY agrees to compensate family in young boy's in-flight scalding incident

webfact

Airline EVENTUALLY agrees to compensate family in young boy's in-flight scalding incident

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A family has finally received the promise of compensation and free air tickets after a young boy was scalded by hot water on a flight from Roi-Et to Don Muang.

It took three days but the airline - that was not named in the Sanook story - agreed the compensation after the father went on Facebook and contacted the Don Muang police. 

Dad Thitiwut was furious after his youngest of three sons named "Phufaa" had his leg scalded.

He has had to miss football training and needs to have his wound seen to at a hospital for two weeks.

He had ordered instant "bamee" noodles and the staff member had poured hot water into the bowl. But when another passenger ordered a bottle of water the staffer dropped that onto the noodles that spilled into the lap of the child. 

A wheelchair was brought on at Don Muang and the child was taken to the airline's first aid center. But after that the airline did not contact the family as they racked up hospital bills. 

Finally on Sunday - three days after the flight - dad went to the police to make a complaint.

Next day he got an email from the airline to say they would pay the hospital bills. 

And the airline offered them a voucher for free air tickets for the whole family. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-11

The idea that they are serving bowls of anything so hot that could cause so much damage (such scolding) is huge flaw in the airlines safety... 

Even the coffee on other airlines is hot enough to be painful, but not such that it would cause any damage / scarring... That bowl of soup must have been extremely / boiling hot... 

7 hours ago, neeray said:

It always amazes me what it takes to get some corporations to "do the right thing".

I think they got off inexpensively on this incident.

Agree, the airline should be punished and the boy / his family paid compensation on top of the airline paying the hospital bills.

Free tickets - an insult.

5 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I feel sorry for the poor kid.  Probably excited to be taking a plane ride only to have it turn into a very painful experience.  Hopefully this will make all airlines have a think about how they serve hot liquids. 

Airlines run and staffed by competent foreigners all over the world have had this problem figured out for decades. It is the Thais who "maibenrai" and Thai-ify everything as they are special. Then things go wrong. 

7 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

McDonalds paid out big on similar problem. 

Last week i was dining with a group of Thai...the waiter brought tomyam soup on that burner thingy...she spoilt some boiling soup on the leg of a boy of our group....She even didn't say anything but the boy said "mai ben rai"and that was it....

His whole upper leg was wet but he was wearing office trousers.

I was astonished....and all the waiters even had the text "the customer is our boss"printed on the back of their shirts...????

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Airlines run and staffed by competent foreigners all over the world have had this problem figured out for decades. It is the Thais who "maibenrai" and Thai-ify everything as they are special. Then things go wrong. 

Really?

https://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/26/travel/soutwest-hot-tea-spill/index.html

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/92082058/passenger-sues-qatar-airways-claiming-flight-attendant-spilled-hot-coffee-on-her-and-did-nothing

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/05/15/ryanair-hot-tea-lawsuit/

https://www.aol.co.uk/2017/11/29/woman-burned-hot-tea-spilled-flight-attendant/

17 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I feel sorry for the poor kid.  Probably excited to be taking a plane ride only to have it turn into a very painful experience.  Hopefully this will make all airlines have a think about how they serve hot liquids. 

The kid got burned because they were serving a bottle of cold water. It just fallen out the stewardess her hand and pitiful dropped on the kids bowl. They only thing they can do to prevent accidents like this is to simply stop sell noodles on the plain.

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, the airline should be punished and the boy / his family paid compensation on top of the airline paying the hospital bills.

Free tickets - an insult.

What you expect then? build them a house? Make them millionairs?

It was an accident. Nobody seen that comming and nobody did want the kid get burned.

You can even make it worce by saying what bad father that was being so stupid to let his son eat a bow hot noodles on the plane. Maybe he should being jailed for child abuse and loses his right to be a father at all.

So don't be silly and keep everything in perspective please.

If it was my kid i think i would only be angry the airline did respond so slowly. But as long they pay all the bills, hopefully the kid heals completly, and give some extras i would be happy this all ended well.

A cousin of mine did get terrible burned when he was 4 by a pot of hot coffee his parents were drinking with my grandparents. He grabbed the tablecloth and the pot fell over his body.

So is there somebody to blame or sue in this story? Sure there Always is but would you react the same if this was with your kid and family?

Nope. You would forgive and forget and probably say " sh&!'§ét happens.it was a pitiful accident"

Archived