Do You Copy The Mannerisms And Facial Expressions Of Thais?

SeanBangkok

Does going "troppo" also rate a mention in this thread? By this I mean forgetting that you're a farang. Example; an Aussie bar owner in Pattaya once said there was a Thai girl in the bar with a German boyfriend who wanted to meet me. I thought he meant the German but it was the girl, who was concerned about his behaviour. She said he'd begun to lose touch with reality and would only speak Thai. So I spoke to him in German and he said "Mai chawp poort passa yuruman, au poort passa Thai", which the girl then had to translate for me. I gave up, after all, I was on holiday and this was just too stressful for me. This, incidentally, wasn't my only experience, I've seen other cases too in various stages of development. It seems to start with the eyes which go spooky and then all the other gestures previously mentioned here start to creep in. I've lost a couple of friends this way after communication broke down completely. Has anyone else experienced this?

Does going "troppo" also rate a mention in this thread? By this I mean forgetting that you're a farang. Example; an Aussie bar owner in Pattaya once said there was a Thai girl in the bar with a German boyfriend who wanted to meet me. I thought he meant the German but it was the girl, who was concerned about his behaviour. She said he'd begun to lose touch with reality and would only speak Thai. So I spoke to him in German and he said "Mai chawp poort passa yuruman, au poort passa Thai", which the girl then had to translate for me. I gave up, after all, I was on holiday and this was just too stressful for me. This, incidentally, wasn't my only experience, I've seen other cases too in various stages of development. It seems to start with the eyes which go spooky and then all the other gestures previously mentioned here start to creep in. I've lost a couple of friends this way after communication broke down completely. Has anyone else experienced this?

Naa, she was worried because he was learning Thai too quickly, and that's not good news for her... , lol can you really believe a honest Thai girl is worried 'cause her BF only wants to speak Thai? Yeah I can picture the scene reversed. Thai guy in Germany and his German girl all concerned'cause he only wants to speak German...he's really losing it. ..Pleeeeaze.

Who told you that? Do you mean Thais wont respect a farang more if they try to act more Thai? This certainly isnt what most people find when living here although perhaps you never have. If Thai people see you as more like themselves they will give you more respect, you will get lower prices at markets etc.. and they will be more open to being friends with you.

Jake

Agreed, when in Rome..

Who told you that? Do you mean Thais wont respect a farang more if they try to act more Thai? This certainly isnt what most people find when living here although perhaps you never have. If Thai people see you as more like themselves they will give you more respect, you will get lower prices at markets etc.. and they will be more open to being friends with you.

Jake

As for prices, you'll never know what the Thais really pay because you're a farang.

If you're not meant to understand, believe me, they'll speak a dialect and leave the best farang scholar clueless after the first minute.

For prices I hang around long enough to hear what prices are being given to Thai's. On business deals I have never found out later I was duped. I am sure it has happened a few times, but this would be the case anywhere.

As for dialects, the southern one can fool me, but I can keep up with most central, isarn or northern jitter, so not really sure where your coming from on this one..

Naa, she was worried because he was learning Thai too quickly, and that's not good news for her... , lol can you really believe a honest Thai girl is worried 'cause her BF only wants to speak Thai? Yeah I can picture the scene reversed. Thai guy in Germany and his German girl all concerned'cause he only wants to speak German...he's really losing it. ..Pleeeeaze.

Good point, never thought of it that way, still, that's what the forum's all about,. But don't you think some farangs lose the plot there. You say in his case it was the girl but what about single guys (and a few women)?

Edited by qwertz