anyone know where I can buy turf?

oldwelshman

Not sure if this is the right forum so please move if in wrong place.

I have seen it all here now. I  prepared 120 sq m by mixing sifted not so good soil with sand and bags of din and made area pan flat.

I then bought what was described as turf. I have seen more grass on toilet tissue after eating tom yum. There is no soil at all they must have peeled if.

Does anyone know where I can get proper turf with at least 30mm of soil on it?

If not, next time I will seed it.

Can't say for sure, but the turf you bought sounds just like the turf we used to make a beautiful lawn.  The sand is important and needs plenty of water.  Ours developed within a few weeks.  

BTW:  Seeding may not be an option since it's likely you will not be able to find.

Never seen real turf in Thailand.

The only option is what the OP already has. Agree with Steve that plenty of sand and lots of watering needed until it is established and has a grip.

Just laid some myself 11 days ago and still nursing it. I even cover it up during the hottest part of the day as it still can't take the full heat of the sun yet.

Once it is well established after a few weeks you will probably find you have a few dead patches that need re doing.

Very hard to find grass seed here.

I bought some over from the UK but it couldn't take the heat.

Please note the following is between 10 and 20 year old info.

I used yeepoon turf as described. If the ground is well prepared a good lawn is possible. It takes a LOT of water to maintain. I had an automatic sprinkler system and deep well. Seed is very difficult to obtain. Chatachack weekend market has a seller of bermuda seed 100 grams for 400 baht. There is a Bangkok supplier but they deal in golf course grass so not interested in small amounts. The thai agriculture department has a turf research division. Maybe they can supply seed.

Sounds like you are not in C.M.

Here we have a tree and flower market and many grass sellers will have a dozen different turf varieties, japanese, malaysian, golf course putting greens, most sold at about 50bt a m2

But I concur that even our massive garden outlet doesnt appear to sell grass seed as you would expect.

Well I laid about 110 sq m took me ages as it was crap and had to fill under some holes and patch up with offcuts etc. Apparently I can get "real" turf about 1 hour from Prachin so when I do my garden which will be few hundred sq m will go there. I took soil from our land, mixed in with bags of din and about 5m cube of sand as prep.

For my garden, I just built a 8m x 4m x 2 m water tank (below ground)

and have guttering on my shop and current house feeding into it and having a borehole drilled. Then will run a controller with 24 zones to irrigate 14 rai and my lawns  ???? If I get time to design it all.

12 hours ago, oldwelshman said:

Well I laid about 110 sq m took me ages as it was crap and had to fill under some holes and patch up with offcuts etc. 

This type of turf fills in on it's own.  IE: you don't need to fill and patch.  Maybe re-assess your opinion after giving it a few months to mature.  Cheers.

9 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

This type of turf fills in on it's own.  IE: you don't need to fill and patch.  Maybe re-assess your opinion after giving it a few months to mature.  Cheers.

Time will tell lol I am used to laying lawns with typically 20 to 30mm of quality top soil beneath. As I prepped the soil here I may be ok but I will try the place near Prachinburi next time. Most of this stuff fell apart when I unfolded it. Who folds truf? !! It is much better rolled up.

I was the same when i looked at the turf here, couldn't believe how rubbish it was compared to normal UK stuff.

But after laying it on decent soils and sand base, with lots of watering, it became a decent lawn in the end. Got a few bad patches in the hot areas, but they came back with watering. The only thing i find is under the trees get too wet in the wet season, so lose these areas, and then have to water like mad to get it back in the dry season

But worth the work, nobody else has grass and flowers in the village and the locals love to stop and look at the crazy house, "Just like a park" they say

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 3:32 PM, Joinaman said:

I was the same when i looked at the turf here, couldn't believe how rubbish it was compared to normal UK stuff.

But after laying it on decent soils and sand base, with lots of watering, it became a decent lawn in the end. Got a few bad patches in the hot areas, but they came back with watering. The only thing i find is under the trees get too wet in the wet season, so lose these areas, and then have to water like mad to get it back in the dry season

But worth the work, nobody else has grass and flowers in the village and the locals love to stop and look at the crazy house, "Just like a park" they say

Well it does not look bad although it is very difficult to get an even surface so still fillin gin with sand to even it out.

IMG_6360.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6359.JPG

Archived