Pattaya police detain 8 beggars with infants

Rimmer

Pattaya police detain 8 beggars with infants

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya police rounded up six beggars with eight young children after a video shined unfavorable light on the city’s problem with panhandling gangs.

Police and Mayuree Damnernpol, director of the Chonburi Protection Center for the Destitute, and representatives from the Chonburi Children and Family Home swept through Pattaya Jan. 9, picking up five women, one man and eight kids, one as young as a year old.

The crackdown came after a video went viral showing a woman in her mid-20s holding what appeared to be a newborn infant outside Pattaya School No. 8.

Videographer Sunanta Santhep, 29, said she had offered to buy the woman food, send her home and help her find a job. But when she saw the camera, she refused any help and fled the scene.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-police-detain-8-beggars-infants-241783

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2019-01-18

Nothing worse than 'fake beggars'.. all these stories just make you more thick skinned and pitiless towards the ones who may genuinely need your help, but you now view with suspicion. 

Using compassion as a tool to con is a dirty trick

15 hours ago, foxboy said:

Nothing worse than 'fake beggars'.. all these stories just make you more thick skinned and pitiless towards the ones who may genuinely need your help, but you now view with suspicion. 

Using compassion as a tool to con is a dirty trick

There was a story in the UK press about the guy who bought a burger to give to a beggar asking for money for food. He had the burger thrown back at him.

56 minutes ago, overherebc said:

There was a story in the UK press about the guy who bought a burger to give to a beggar asking for money for food. He had the burger thrown back at him.

Thats funny, I have never had food offerings refused, or thrown back at me.........I stopped giving them money about twenty years ago, but often carry a small bottle of strawberry yogurt in backpack for the wee ones.  Always wai and smile.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Soi 4 BKK a few years back used to have a rota system with 4 women who did shifts all day with one poor kid who was there all day on the same patch.

They busted a gang o Cambodians hat would 'rent' their kids to beggars between Soi 11 thru 21 couple years ago.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

But what about discussion on how we help the disadvantaged.

I'm at a loss to make suggestions these days. But the rich and incompassionate are human too and die eventually just like the poor so it's all equal in the end really.

They can help themselves by getting a job .

Its not to difficult the get a job in Thailand or even to make money by selling food or something , everyone else manages it .

Its not like they suddenly fallen on hard times and need some assistance , to them , its their job, asking for money .

Theres a family near me who are professional beggars , must be about four  woman and several kids and husbands in the background , taking in turns to sit by the road in tourist areas with a kid , sometime barely a year old , sitting all night long breathing in the car exhaust fumes with their cup in front of them .

Theres jobs available if they want them , but they would rather beg .

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

They can help themselves by getting a job .

Its not to difficult the get a job in Thailand or even to make money by selling food or something , everyone else manages it .

Its not like they suddenly fallen on hard times and need some assistance , to them , its their job, asking for money .

Theres a family near me who are professional beggars , must be about four  woman and several kids and husbands in the background , taking in turns to sit by the road in tourist areas with a kid , sometime barely a year old , sitting all night long breathing in the car exhaust fumes with their cup in front of them .

Theres jobs available if they want them , but they would rather beg .

Sure, let's get them working massaging 8 hr on sweaty hot men for a few dollars. Or serve meals all day for 15 dollars. 

No no no. Let's not do that. Let's invest in them to buy a food cart and have a good education so they can work ethically  and fairly. Compassion and empathy simply missing in some.

Sure there's the no hopers, but a lot not given the chances I've been given and I do feel guilty and horrified.

Its big business really , first time tourists think they are real beggars , they could earn 1000 baht in a few hours. Soi 6 , beach rd, 2nd rd, they know where they can find tourists willing to open their pockets.

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

I offered to buy a beggar a sandwich and he said he'd sooner have the money. I said "be honest and tell me why and I'll give you the money anyway..." his unsurprising answer was "to buy some booze" ???? 

Archived