Power cut in our building when 2 doors of box touched

ghworker2010

IMG_7084.HEICWe have a small business on the ground floor. Recently renovated and brand new huge electric box installed with safeTcut etc. 

Today my wife opened 2 of the doors of the box and she said when they touched each other there was a sound and we lost all power to the ground floor. 

This clearly should not happen??? How dangerous is this? We are asking the guys to come back but would like to have some knowledge on this issue prior

thanks

IMG_7084.HEIC

Hmmm, evidently something is amiss. I'd put money on both boxes being wired with their own MEN link and possibly separate rods. When the doors touched there was an E-N fault that one of the RCDs spotted.

If you have a multimeter check the AC voltage between the metalwork on the two boxes, if it's a few volts don't worry nobody is going to die immediately.

If you want to post photos of the two boxes with the lids off we may be able to see the fault.

EDIT Please can you post your image in a format which doesn't have a paid-for codec, .jpg (.jpeg) is the most common.

OK, found a free converter.

If it was the bottom two doors, I suggest that the right hand box has a MEN link which it should not have, the link should be in the Safe-T-Cut box.

Piccies with the lids off will confirm.

IMG_7084.jpg

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK, found a free converter.

If it was the bottom two doors, I suggest that the right hand box has a MEN link which it should not have, the link should be in the Safe-T-Cut box.

Piccies with the lids off will confirm.

IMG_7084.jpg

Thanks for your reply. What does MEN stand for? I have to somehow translate this to the electrician. 

thanks

1 minute ago, ghworker2010 said:

Thanks for your reply. What does MEN stand for? I have to somehow translate this to the electrician. 

thanks

It means Multiple Earthed Neutral. If you have no electrical knowledge it would be easier to post photos and we can tell them what to move.

I expect they blindly followed the instructions that came with the boxes without understanding what they were doing.

Archived