Info on sarasas ratchaphruek

Okasan

Hi, I am Mom of 9 yr & 4 yr old. I am looking for good EP program school in Pathum Thani. Budget is under 120k per year. I found sarasas ratchaphruek but no info available for curriculum and foreign students ratio. Really appreciate info on that school or any affordable EP school in this area. Thanks. 

I don't know about that particular school, but the Sarasas schools cater mostly to Thai students.  They operate under the Thai Ministry of Education an follow the Thai curriculum.   The schools seldom have any Farang students, although I know they have had some.   The number of students who are mixed, Farang/Thai is somewhat higher.  

Thanks Scott. I heard those school use textbooks from western countries and native teachers for their International program. My kids are bound for international program in Thai university, at least. I would support by adding IGCSE tutoring. Would it work in Thailand?

3 hours ago, Okasan said:

Thanks Scott. I heard those school use textbooks from western countries and native teachers for their International program. My kids are bound for international program in Thai university, at least. I would support by adding IGCSE tutoring. Would it work in Thailand?

It will be a struggle if your kids don't speak Thai, as most EP's cater to Thai speakers - They still need to follow the Thai curriculum and will need to do some subjects in Thai, such as Thai language, Social Studies and Buddhism (which are not easy subjects, even for Thai native speakers). I can't offer much in the way of information about that school though; only hearsay. I would check if they actually have native English speakers though. 

13 hours ago, Okasan said:

It should be OK for the 4 year old, who will no doubt pick up the necessary Thai rather quickly.   The 9 year old will probably have a little more trouble, but it's doable.  

A lot of the schools use Foreign teachers, but they may not be native speakers.   In my experience with the other schools, they generally hire language teachers who are really proficient in English.   Subject teachers - math, science, etc., are often Filipino teachers.  

Most of the students attain a reasonably proficient standard of English in the bilingual programs and my limited experience with the EP programs is that they become proficient quickly.  

If I had school aged children, especially grade school (prathom) age, I would have no problem with sending them to a Sarasas school, but that said, there is a great deal of variation in the schools and it does require doing your own research.  

• 1 month later...

I agree with both Davis and Scott. To Davis' point, I've taught a few mixed kids in EP programs. They are definitely weak in the areas Davis mentioned but don't let that necessarily deter you.

Sarasass is a machine for good or ill. They use Filipinos almost exclusively. IMO the most grating accent on the planet. I constantly see ads for western teachers at 38k which might not even get you a warm body these days. Western textbooks? Are they new, relevant? See if you can randomly sit in on classes. You'll have your answer.

My 2-3rd year teaching I applied to a Sarasass 38k wasn't starting salary, it was their max. They called me for a week begging me to take the job crying about budget. One the first person had to give upa second one started calling. These schools mint money.

I've said before, this year have a student from a Sarasass came to us in M3. Phenomenal English. National awards, Model UN. Full scholarship to Japan this year. Sarasass EP grade school till M3. Bangbon.

Each of the Sarasas schools is a part of a group and each group is under a director.   The pay range will vary from group to group and school to school.   Salaries are not high, but for many the starting salary is well above the 38K.   This is the situation for the Bilingual and IEP programs.   They also have regular Thai schools.  

Most of the schools have Farang teachers for teaching English Language.   Some of these are non-native Western Teachers.   Filipino teachers usually teach subjects other than English, such as science, social studies, PE, Health Education etc.   The Thai branches will generally have Filipinos teaching primarily English language.

With Sarasas, it is important to check the particular school and find out about it's class size, number of foreign teachers (and nationality, if possible), number of subjects in English etc.  

In the bilingual and IEP programs, the students generally have a reasonable standard of English.   Some programs and students attain an excellent command of English.   Check the school you are interested in carefully.  

Archived