American Killed While Riding Train

sriracha john

This tragic incident occurred earlier this month, but has previously been unreported

Tragic accident kills University of Michigan senior

Andrew Bensinger died while studying in Thailand

A group of students gathered on a beach in southern Thailand last week. They created a circle of shells on the white sand and then lit a fire in the center. The students wrote messages on slips of paper and threw them into the flames.

While their messages burned, they remembered their friend Lynn Andrew Bensinger, a University of Michigan senior who had died a few days earlier. He was 25.

Bensinger was participating in the University of California at Santa Barbara's three-month Thailand Ecosystems and Cultures Project. Bensinger, a biology major and environmental studies minor, was studying in Thailand to earn credits for graduation. He had been expected to graduate from U of M in April with a bachelor of science degree in biology and environmental science.

While traveling by train from Bangkok to the island of Phuket on Feb. 8, Bensinger was knocked off a platform between cars and killed, his family said.

Jennifer Bensinger said her son was on a platform between the train cars when he stuck his head out to cool off, and was hit by something hanging into the railroad right-of-way from a telegraph pole.

"It was extremely hot and there was no air conditioning on the train so the students would stand outside the train on a platform to cool down,'' she said. "That night he was getting ready for bed and decided to step outside one last time to cool down.''

The object hit him in the head, killing him instantly and throwing him from the train, his mother said.

No one noticed he had disappeared until the next morning, when he didn't appear for breakfast. Project leader Chris Carpenter became worried and notified the staff aboard the train. Later that day, his body was found near the railroad tracks.

The American Embassy in Bangkok called Bensinger's parents shortly afterward to inform them that their son had died.

"Most people will remember his crazy sense of humor,'' Jennifer Bensinger said. "He could make almost anyone laugh at any time.''

Bensinger was considering medical school, but hadn't decided for sure what he was going to do, Jennifer Bensinger said. He loved to cook and was passionate about playing the drums and the guitar, she said.

The memorial service will be held tomorrow at 11 a.m. at St. Andrew's United Church of Christ in Dexter. Visitation will take place from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the church.

- Ann Arbor News & The Michigan Daily

Edited by sriracha john

This sad story is just now getting picked up internationally as well:

U. of Michigan student dies in accident in Thailand

ANN ARBOR (AP) -- A University of Michigan student who was traveling by train in Thailand died after he stuck his head off the side and was knocked off the train, his family said.

Lynn Andrew Bensinger, 25, was traveling Feb. 8 from Bangkok to Phuket when he was killed, The Ann Arbor News and The Michigan Daily reported. He was knocked off the train by a pole, or something hanging from one.

''Most people will remember his crazy sense of humor,'' his mother, Jennifer Bensinger, said. ''He could make almost anyone laugh at any time.''

Lynn Bensinger, a senior from Dexter, was in Thailand participating in a University of California at Santa Barbara three-month project. He had been expected to graduate from the University of Michigan in the spring.

- Associated Press

my thoughts too , the passage between the carriages is narrower than the carriage itself , and usually enclosed.

i suspect he could have been in the doorway , they are never locked and often left wide open and leaned out for a look or a bit of breeze and was killed.

He was almost certainly sitting or standing in one of the vestibule doorways. If something was hanging too close to the train and he stuck his head out that could have been the cause. There is a hand grip that projects a few inches, so you would have to stick your head beyond that. It is also entirely possible to lose your grip or balance and fall off. This happens from time to time. I see we already have one poster speculating that he might have been pushed--I suppose like all the suicides in Pattaya.

I like to ride in the carriages with the open windows, bringing airplugs for overnight trips. It is nice to be feel the breeze, etc. Not for everyone I know. I also hope that Thai railways don't shut all the doors. Yes, safer, but more boring. Some day Thailand will be just like back home, can't do this, sorry can't do that, sorry insurance regulations prevent this, etc. Some basic safety is nice, but do we have to go the full on route?

Shame such an academic either had some sort of memory blank or just never understood simplistic principals of common sense, when you are told my your Mother and Father and all during school days, well England anyway, never stick your head out of a moving vehicle, albeit a car, bus or train. That is irrespective of what country you are in.Tragic but stupid.

Edited by gummy

On non-air conditioned (usually private) buses, it is traditional for the conductor to hang out of the door, usually standing on one foot and holding on by one hand as the bus approaches a stop. Often they try to hang out as far as they can, not infrequently colliding with passengers waiting at the edge of the kerb. As everyone knows, there is complete disregard for safety. You can see a similar situation on songtaews, but this time is usually passengers hanging on by their fingertips. Passengers on trains also do a similar thing standing on the narrow footplate between the carriages.

When I first came to Thailand I had no hesitation in copying this behaviour as it was exciting, carefree and you got the benefit of the breeze. I was young then, I don't do it now.