Seminar educates Pattaya students, women about domestic violence

Rimmer

Seminar educates Pattaya students, women about domestic violence

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya students and social workers learned how better to look out for and eliminate domestic violence against women and children at a city hall seminar.

Deputy Mayor Banlue Kullavanijaya opened the Jan. 17-18 seminar with social development chief Panee Limcharoen.

Wisit Pondok and his team from the Department of Women’s Affairs and Family Development spoke to the 100 students and 100 other social workers, women’s advocates and others about the history of domestic violence in Thailand and what can be done to eradicate it.

Battering of wives and children has been a chronic problem in Thailand for generations, but in recent years the abuse has become more severe with some cases ending in mass murder, as has happened twice in Thailand since New Year’s Eve.

Abuse, participants were told, can be physical, mental, verbal, or sexual and, too often, society viewed abuse as a personal matter and refused to get involved.

Lecturers educated those attending on the Domestic Violence Victim Protection Act of 2007 and the Child Protection Act of 2003 so women and youths know their rights and protections. (PCPR)

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-01-25

Women and children are not the only victims of domestic abuse. Many men are victims of what is called Intimate Partner Violence (IPV)

Figures vary between countries, but in the UK 40 percent of IPV victims are men, according to the home office. Two Studies in Sweden also show rates for men similar to those for women.

I doubt, knowing the fiery temperament of Thai women, that that the picture is much different here.

19 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Figures vary between countries, but in the UK 40 percent of IPV victims are men, according to the home office. Two Studies in Sweden also show rates for men similar to those for women.

That can't be right ................ believe women!

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Women and children are not the only victims of domestic abuse. Many men are victims of what is called Intimate Partner Violence (IPV)

I doubt, knowing the fiery temperament of Thai women, that that the picture is much different here.

Sorry but you cant compare Europe and Asia in this matter 

and it would be better if they educate Thai men to behave better and respect women 

Right now it seems they behaving as Muslim men with no respect for ladies and children 

18 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Sorry but you cant compare Europe and Asia in this matter 

and it would be better if they educate Thai men to behave better and respect women 

Right now it seems they behaving as Muslim men with no respect for ladies and children 

Not comparing, but just highlighting the lack of inclusivity (!) in the narrow Thai approach to domestic violence.

I agree that the national religion plays a pivotol role in maintaining the patriarchal nature of Thai society, though arguably not so dramatically as do the teachings of Islam. (This, it suddenly occurs to me, is one of those inconvenient truths which would probably be decried as "hate speech" in my own homeland and most "progressive" European states.

11 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

I doubt it myself. Although in my experience 'fiery Thai women' are off down the path with a foorprint. Plenty of choice out there and my long-termer has a good temperament.

I suffered from IPV long ago with my first wife.

She abused my money, drained my pockets while sleeping. (I only found out when I went to pay for something at a store on the way to work).

She abused my bank account. (Only told me the night before that a new appliance delivery was coming. You must give me cheque!)

Abused me sexually. (forced me to do that thing to make babies quite often).

Abused my waistline. (fed me too well).

But now my partner is a nice level headed Thai gal. No more IPV.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, Krataiboy said:

But but but.

The vast majority of domestic violence is committed by men, their victims women and children.

Away with you and your utter nonsense.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But but but.

The vast majority of domestic violence is committed by men, their victims women and children.

Away with you and your utter nonsense.

Well, if it isn't my old pal chomping at the bit again - and, as usual, without anything to support the empty rhetoric.

Archived