20-year National power generation plan revealed

rooster59

20-year National power generation plan revealed

Na-ark Rojanasuvan

419962ff2ecdb7141024328670600402_small.jpg

BANGKOK - The latest meeting of the National Energy Policy Council (NEPC) has approved the 2018-2037 national power generation plan, in accordance with the 20-year national strategy.

Energy Minister Siri Jirapongphan, noted that the average selling price within the 20-year period of this plan is in the range of 3.50 - 3.63 baht per unit. He assured the public that their electricity bills over that extended time would be comparable of the bills being issued at present, if not cheaper, for the purpose of attracting investments, especially in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC).

He explained that decreasing the cost of electricity can be achieved by using technology to create a smart electricity distribution system. The Minister said the administration has assigned the Energy Ministry to review the national power generation plan every five years, in order to maintain power stability for the country.

The government also instructed the ministry to construct power plants in the western region to replace the two now cancelled coal power plant projects, abandoned due to a disagreement with the public. The meeting also agreed to build more Pracharat bio-power plants in the three southern border provinces.

The Minister also mentioned that the government will urgently look into a way to expedite a public solar power project that would allow members of the public to install solar panels, and use and trade the power they generated.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- nnt 2019-01-26

And now the Junta puts the kiss of death on the nations life blood. For the Power Generation Plan to be glued to the widely criticised 20-year National Strategy is the sort of handicap that power generation needs least of all.

13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The government also instructed the ministry to construct power plants in the western region

What a plan! Rather short on details and information perhaps but knowing they have 'instructed the ministry' has obviously solved all our problems of coal fired plants and carbon fuel emissions. 

Ok generate as much as you like, how about ensuring the infrastructure network of sub-stations/transformers/power cables are adequate to ensure that the electricity generated is passed on to the users in a timely and continuous manner. I have regular outages, the PEA centre are very familiar with me calling them, almost on first name terms.

14 minutes ago, John1012 said:

Ok generate as much as you like, how about ensuring the infrastructure network of sub-stations/transformers/power cables are adequate to ensure that the electricity generated is passed on to the users in a timely and continuous manner. I have regular outages, the PEA centre are very familiar with me calling them, almost on first name terms.

Too true. J. Rightly or wrongly, I put the many and often only momentary outages down to some stupid prat having simple pressed the wrong switch. 'Oops, sorry boss, you meant that switch . . . but mae pen rai, it was only a little outage,' little realising the number of PCs he's crashed or X-rays were only half-done or teeth were only partly drilled . . . yeooo!

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the National Energy Policy Council (NEPC) has approved the 2018-2037 national power generation plan, in accordance with the 20-year national strategy (my bold)

As electrical generation, transmission and distribution in Thailand is nationalized, updating the nation's 20-year energy plan has been done by previous administrations - so nothing unusual.

The difference now however, is that the junta's plan will be memorialized permanently within the constitution under the 20-year national strategy. Making any significant changes to the plan will likely require changes to the the constitution and possibly related organic laws. For the next five years after the next elected government has been installed, such changes will have to have approval of the pro-military Senate.

Otherwise, why now the rush to the several new 20-year plans introduced during Prayut's regime just prior to the next election?

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

As electrical generation, transmission and distribution in Thailand is nationalized, updating the nation's 20-year energy plan has been done by previous administrations - so nothing unusual.

The difference now however, is that the junta's plan will be memorialized permanently within the constitution under the 20-year national strategy. Making any significant changes to the plan will likely require changes to the the constitution and possibly related organic laws. For the next five years after the next elected government has been installed, such changes will have to have approval of the pro-military Senate.

Otherwise, why now the rush to the several new 20-year plans introduced during Prayut's regime just prior to the next election?

Crafty swines . . . dirty rotten scoundrels . . . I run out of bad words to describe Prayuth and his Playboys.

11 hours ago, Ossy said:

Too true. J. Rightly or wrongly, I put the many and often only momentary outages down to some stupid prat having simple pressed the wrong switch. 'Oops, sorry boss, you meant that switch . . . but mae pen rai, it was only a little outage,' little realising the number of PCs he's crashed or X-rays were only half-done or teeth were only partly drilled . . . yeooo!

I think these 20 second outages are when they connect a new block of houses to the grid, at least in my area.

So, Khun Siri has spoken but didn't say anything. How, what, when, where? Do we know how the cancelled coal power plants will be replaced, and with what? Any new nuclear plans? Bio-power? give me a break... seriously? That's like the biggest CO2 producer of them all.... Solar? A joke.,...

Another politician venting hot air...

Excellent and completely marvellous. That'll work for sure. Gone are the days last week when we got an average of 6 black-outs or brown-outs a day. Progress!

Coal-powered are they? The new generating stations... There's a certain inevitability about that.

Archived