Retiring To The Isaan

HenryLongfellow

I've travelled a small amount in the Isaan.

I understand that most if not all farangs living in the area are there with wives or husbands.

I will retire next year and was wondering if it is worth staying in Isaan for a year or so.

I am not married and don't have a girlfriend.

I am not interested in living in Pattaya, Bangkok or Phuket but thought that it might be OK to rent a place in Buriram, Surin or one of the other regional centres.

Do you think that this would be a pleasant experience or will I feel very alienated?

Where do you think would be the best place to have this type of experience?

Do you think that this would be a pleasant experience or will I feel very alienated?

Where do you think would be the best place to have this type of experience?

That is very much, up to you.

It would be difficult if not impossible to say that one area is better than another, my advice would be to spend a few weeks travelling around the major conurbations like Korat, Surin, Buriram, Khon Kaen etc and get a feeling for each area before deciding to put down any roots.

P.S. don't worry about not having a girlfriend, after a few days, an orderly queue will start to form :o

//edit/spelling

Edited by Thaddeus

I will retire next year and was wondering if it is worth staying in Isaan for a year or so.

I think you will have the potential for a wonderful, rich, rewarding experience. :o

How independent and adventurous are you? How much do you like jumping into new cultures, learning a new language, expanding your experience and horizons? Can you compensate for loneliness by being outgoing and jumping into a new circle of friends?

I believe therein lies the answer....

I came to Isaan later in life after having traveled to over 30 countries, and grown up in one of the most geographically-blessed areas of the world (mountain peaks, alpine lakes, natural air-conditioning, etc.) But, I consider Isaan as one of the most wonderful places on earth--primarily because of the people. If you respond positively to the above inquiries, you'll have no trouble at all in Isaan!

That being said, I would suggest coming to Isaan with some kind of "connection"--through acquaintances here on TV, or seeking a teaching position (only a few hours/responsibilities if you plan to continue retirement). This connection, however new or slight, will help legitimize your presence in a smaller community (and, in my opinion, the smaller the better--even places like Khon Kaen or the other cities you mentioned is too big for me) as a new stranger, and will help create a bridge to a new circle of local acquaintances and friends.

Go for it, and good luck!

Yes I agree with the other replies:

Dont think about it just do it, I have never looked back its wonderful, Lets see hoe long you last with a beauty on your arm, there another dont think about it do it.

Depart on a journney that you will never forget in LOS

I'm quite content living in the boonies of Loei province, BUT, if not for my Thai wife I'd be headed back to the farang ghettos.

I live in udon thani isaan country and all the girls are looking for falong to marry so you will have your pick of the litter just do your self a favor do not get involved with a bar girl for long term love affair in most case they don't work out she eventually will hurt you some way trying going to a mall and flirt like you did back home it worked for me now I have a wonderful girl who never drank or smoked or used drugs and she adores me that what life is all about

post-14016-1172326740_thumb.jpg