Dad who ranted that his daughter aged three was "arrested" says sorry - get's a helmet for his kid!

rooster59

Dad who ranted that his daughter aged three was "arrested" says sorry - get's a helmet for his kid!

father.JPG

Image: Daily News

The father who went online to rant about the cops saying that his three year old had been arrested for not wearing a helmet has apologized. 

Pongphiphat Jaisai, 45, went to the Bang Khun Non police station to say sorry. 

He had been stopped at a rush hour checkpoint and had gone to the station with his daughter where he angrily argued with an officer. 

Pongphiphat said that he is a messenger delivering auto parts and is a motorcycle taxi rider in a rank outside a local pawn shop to get extra money. 

He said that he had been unable to sleep because he was getting so many notification "pings" on Line and Facebook after he posted his video. He only meant it for friends and didn't expect to be vilified and harassed for what happened. 

He said he was sorry to the cops and claimed that he didn't know it was illegal for a child not to wear a helmet. 

He paid a 200 baht fine. 

The cops said they were concerned about people wearing helmets especially young people. 

Whether Pongphiphat would face prosecution over his post would be a matter for the chief to decide but it all seems to have been settled amicably now. 

To cement the good feelings the cops handed over a cute pink helmet for Pongphiphat's daughter to wear in future. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-26

21 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

He said he was sorry to the cops and claimed that he didn't know it was illegal for a child not to wear a helmet. 

Apart from ignorance of the law being no defence, this guy - like so many other Thais - seems to have absolutely no understanding of safety and why the law states all motorcyclists need to wear a helmet.

The village where I live, 80% of riders don't wear a helmet unless they're going into town, then put it on purely to 'avoid' the 200 Baht fine, and for no other reason whatsoever.

Until that day in the long distant future when people start to think for themselves, nothing will change.

I've got no idea whether or not this helmet is any good... BUT... its a step in the right direction... 

Fining a parent for not ensuring his childs safety is a good message to send out. Following up with providing them with a helmet is further beneficial publicity - The message needs to get across somehow... 

If this child were to fall of the motorcycle tomorrow, this helmet could be the difference between no injury and a serious head injury.

Can more be done? - of course, more can always be done. Is this a step in the right direction? most definitely so. What the police officer who took the original fine writing an official ticket or pocketing the money? who knows... 

One thing is for sure... More people, especially the poorer folk who only have a motorcycle as a means of transport will be talking about this... and as a talking point there may be a handful or more who decide to do something about it and get helmets for their kids...  

My Son has bicycle helmets and also a Ski helmet which would be better than most motorcycle helmets I see on the roads... the Ski helmet was 350 baht (I think) from Decathalon and appears pretty decent. 

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

wow, this guy is not educated, he probably thinks all of his riding skills are not illegal - riding DUI, wrong side of the road, not stopping for red light etc.

Who doesn't know that it is illegal not to wear a helmet?

I'm sure the 3-year-old knows better.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

They should be more concerned about their fellow countrymens ability to drive instead.

So it is ok to have three kids and two adults on one bike, as long as they all wear helmets??

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Apart from ignorance of the law being no defence, this guy - like so many other Thais - seems to have absolutely no understanding of safety and why the law states all motorcyclists need to wear a helmet.

The village where I live, 80% of riders don't wear a helmet unless they're going into town, then put it on purely to 'avoid' the 200 Baht fine, and for no other reason whatsoever.

Until that day in the long distant future when people start to think for themselves, nothing will change.

Part of the driving test should be 6 hours in an Accident and Emergency room, with people who have come off a motorcycle, or a brain injury unit 

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He paid a 200 baht fine. 

:cheesy::1zgarz5::cheesy::1zgarz5:

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

They're cleansing the gene pool so humanity can move forward 

I think that these police did a really good job here and should be congratulated. As for people being unaware of the need for helmets then raising that awareness should not be a policing job so much, their job is to reinforce the law.

If you want social behaviorial change then that is the job of elected representatives. In Australia and the UK I well remember the hard hitting advertisements encouraging the use of helmets. Just punishing people does not work.

Where does such advertising and commitment appear here?

20 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Why fine only 200 baht 

All the signs say 1000 baht or that's only tourists there get fined 1000

I got a 100 baht fine for not wearing a helmet in rural Chiang Mai. 

My only ticket in 14 years as an expat, I always were a helmet here on Samui. 

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

he didn't know it was illegal for a child not to wear a helmet

So he's bought one only because it was illegal not to wear one... nothing to do with protecting the precious life of his own child.

Something is very wrong in the education & social upbringing in Thailand.

17 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Part of the driving test should be 6 hours in an Accident and Emergency room, with people who have come off a motorcycle, or a brain injury unit 

They do that in your country, do they?  Why should just Thailand have that requirement or do you think that there are no motorbike accidents wherever you come from?

I am seeing many, STUPID Farang tourists, or maybe expats, not wearing helmets in Hua Hin, and it disgusts me that they are acting so stupid. If I see them in a crash, I will not shed a tear for them and their injuries, or if they kill themselves out right.

Geezer

..hmmm..he had his helmet on and his precious three year old was denied the luxury...i wonder if he pondered for a brief second before taking off on his journey with her, if he should perhaps put his helmet on her head...nah!

On 1/26/2019 at 9:13 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

Why fine only 200 baht 

All the signs say 1000 baht or that's only tourists there get fined 1000

It's amazing how many Thai drivers/motorcyclists have no idea about so many laws of the road.  'Didn't know that children had to wear a helmet'.  Does he think they're invulnerable?  Look at the family of kids going to school on a scooter all over the country.  The age of the driver is about 12, three or four kids crowded onto the bike and no helmets at all.  

Archived