Thai driving license

Jm1g

I have a Full UK driving license, and have the full motorcycle endorsement.

I only have the pink photo card here in Thailand, and it is expired.

The license its self is still valid, just the photo card is expired pending an updated picture. 

I have all of the requirements for the Thai driving license, could somebody tell me if I will run into problems regarding not having the paper counterpart, and the photo card being “expired”.

what is the process to obtaining a Thai Driving license if the UK license is not accepted? 

Thanks

Paper counterpart to a UK licence was abolished some time ago.  The most effective way would be to just renew your UK licence and then go and apply for the Thai one, that saves the possibility of having to do a test. You can renew online easily.   If that is too much hassle, just go and see what they say.  if all else fails, the local Thai driving school will run a short course for you and get you through the test and licence process. My daughter did it last year on holiday from the UK and it cost 5,000 Baht.  She had her Thai licence within 2 weeks. 

Edited by Pilotman

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Paper counterpart to a UK licence was abolished some time ago.  The most effective way would be to just renew your UK licence and then go and apply for the Thai one, that saves the possibility of having to do a test. You can renew online easily.   If that is too much hassle, just go and see what they say.  if all else fails, the local Thai driving school will run a short course for you and get you through the test and licence process. My daughter did it last year on holiday from the UK and it cost 5,000 Baht.  She had her Thai licence within 2 weeks. 

If renewing online I’m guessing I would need  The updated photo card right? Also some websites say that this needs to be appraised by the Uk embassy, some say this isn’t nessesary. Any info on That?

thank you to both for the replies so far.

2 hours ago, Jm1g said:

If renewing online I’m guessing I would need  The updated photo card right? Also some websites say that this needs to be appraised by the Uk embassy, some say this isn’t nessesary. Any info on That?

thank you to both for the replies so far.

when I renewed they did not ask for a new photo.  If they do require that, you can upload a new photo from your computer  on the DVLA website if you need to, alternatively, if you have renewed a UK passport recently, they will take that. It's got nothing to do with the Embassy,  provided you have a UK address on your licence, which is where they will send the new licence?  

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

when I renewed they did not ask for a new photo.  If they do require that, you can upload a new photo from your computer  on the DVLA website if you need to, alternatively, if you have renewed a UK passport recently, they will take that. It's got nothing to do with the Embassy,  provided you have a UK address on your licence, which is where they will send the new licence?  

I meant for the Thai driving authority to use the license. Some websites say they need the license appraised by the uk embassy for authenticity, others say that is not required

6 minutes ago, Jm1g said:

I meant for the Thai driving authority to use the license. Some websites say they need the license appraised by the uk embassy for authenticity, others say that is not required

Never heard of that before.   

17 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But still cannot drive very well!   LOL

Well, if she hadn't had 20 lessons in the UK before hand, you are right, but she had, so she was way past advanced driver standard for a Thai.   She is mixed Brit/Thai, so she can turn around corners okay,  even stay in her right lane, provided there isn't a shoe shop within line of sight. ????

• Haha 1