Post/Mail Messed Up

Just coming on to have a little moan...

Here's the story, ordered a Transferwise debit card on December the 16th and had it mailed to my parents house in the UK... Transferwise had delays making the card but it finally got to my parents house on about the 14th of January so I was super happy...eagerly awaiting this card to save myself loads on bank charges

My mum was going to forward it to Thailand..assuming she knew it was super important and shes always put tracking on it in the past I thought great its on its way..but no I was wrong.. moaning about the cost she only flipping sent it standard mail on the 15th. It cost her around 4 pound..she sent another letter 2 days later on the 17th(also standard mail), that arrived today in the office at my condo(in Jomtien) and I wasn't even bothered about that stuff

Why would stuff sent later arrive sooner? I'm thinking theres a big chance I will never get that Debit card now, I'm sure its surrounded in thick card so would be hard for anyone to feel through the packet

So peed off about this, she knew it was important I kept asking her if it had come and she knows from experience stuff goes missing in the mail to Thailand

Edited by richiejom

How is anybody here now supposed to help you? Without tracking you can't do anything but wait and hope.

But afaik there is no THB Transferwise debit card, so sending money from Transferwise to your Thai bank account and spend it from there should be cheaper than using the Transferwise debit card in another currency.

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But afaik there is no THB Transferwise debit card, so sending money from Transferwise to your Thai bank account and spend it from there should be cheaper than using the Transferwise debit card in another currency.

You're wrong there

Transferwise if you have a Borderless account with a Hello World Mastercard which is what I am waiting on you can spend in Thai baht: https://www.thethailandlife.com/transferwise-borderless-account-review  ..theres no fees and good exchange rate..thats the whole point of it

'Free to pay with currencies in your account: convert money into your required currency and it will be free to spend or pay in your chosen local currency.'

I have a Thai bank account which Ive used with Transferwise but if I only want to pay for some groceries at 7 Eleven I can use this Mastercard if it ever arrives

It actually cuts out the 2-3 days wait needed to transfer to Thai bank...so covers your butt in an emergency

Edited by richiejom

Yes, i understood it a bit wrong, i thought the card has "base" currency which you can spend for free and spending other currencies trigger extra charges. But actually just the usual borderless fees are applied, so spending money with this card and sending money to a Thai bank account will cost the same.

But a regular credit / debit card without any foreign currency fees will offer a better exchange rate than the Transferwise one, so imho the use for this card is limited.

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, i understood it a bit wrong, i thought the card has "base" currency which you can spend for free and spending other currencies trigger extra charges. But actually just the usual borderless fees are applied, so spending money with this card and sending money to a Thai bank account will cost the same.

But a regular credit / debit card without any foreign currency fees will offer a better exchange rate than the Transferwise one, so imho the use for this card is limited.

There was actually a question in my original post..which was me just wondering why a letter sent 2 days later would arrive sooner...which leaves me a little bit concerned

I saw a documentary on postman in the UK who sometimes don't take out everything on their shelves in a whole day... I'm starting to fear the worst though as you'd think the letters would be in some kind of order.  Can't believe mum sent with no tracking

Edited by richiejom

17 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

THB is not yet possible to deposit into the Borderless Account. Look on their website.

Again wrong... 

Free to pay with currencies in your account: convert money into your required currency and it will be free to spend or pay in your chosen local currency.

Pay in any currency, anywhere and it will automatically convert the currency in your account with the lowest conversion fee.

This guy already uses his TW debit card in Thailand: https://www.thethailandlife.com/transferwise-borderless-account-review

image.png.04d8b2bc0e22ab1ccedeace789dcaa5e.png

I already use my Visa debit card at 7 Eleven and Tescos, Tops etc but it gets the nasty 2.99% fee at my UK bank hence the reason I ordered this. 

I also see the Mastercard sticker on 7 Eleven window so I'll let you know when I use my Mastercard if it ever comes... 7 Eleven always insert my debit card and simply give me receipt to sign/sometimes they have chip and pin as well

transferwise-borderless-review

Edited by richiejom

9 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Again wrong... 

Free to pay with currencies in your account: convert money into your required currency and it will be free to spend or pay in your chosen local currency.

Pay in any currency, anywhere and it will automatically convert the currency in your account with the lowest conversion fee.

This guy already uses his TW debit card in Thailand: https://www.thethailandlife.com/transferwise-borderless-account-review

image.png.04d8b2bc0e22ab1ccedeace789dcaa5e.png

This has only changed very recently according to my B'less ac. But now it is possible, and a good thing. Can load up at a good exchange rate instead of transferring it to Thai Bank. But if you need 65k per month into Thai..............why.

16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

This has only changed very recently according to my B'less ac. But now it is possible, and a good thing. Can load up at a good exchange rate instead of transferring it to Thai Bank. But if you need 65k per month into Thai..............why.

I'm not on a Retirement visa ..I'm married

I hardly use cash for anything.. always buy my food with debit card..

pay for my internet via True website via debit card

You can link Paypal to TW as well..I get $ and pounds

Only my rent/electric/visas I withdraw cash for..  I could transfer more to a Thai bank but this debit card will have advantages for me(why wait 3 days for transfer?)..

I'm so annoyed at the moment about this no tracking on my TW debit card my mum sent

Edited by richiejom
  • Confused 1