Where To Buy In Phuket?

BelfastMike

Hi there,

My very first post, so go easy guys :o

I travel to Phuket regularly to see the g/f and I'm spending a small fortune on renting bikes everytime.

Decided to buy a scooter, she can use it to commute to work when I'm not there. A bike also means she can move out of Patong to a cheaper, larger apartment.

I've scanned through old posts and it seems the Yamaha Spark 135 is well thought of. I'm also considering a Honda Click. Needs to be economical, have enough power to shift 145Kgs (combined weight of me and her) up a steep hill and a decent amount of storage space.

Visited Yammy dealer in Patong today. 50,500bht for a Spark 135D-CW (top model in range) Does that seem steep or reasonable?

Are there any dealers you can recommend in Phuket for a better deal?

Edited by BelfastMike

Hi,

I've seen the Spark for sale for 51,000 baht, so I guess what you saw was in the right range. You can still try to bargain a bit and get either a discount of a couple of thousand baht, or some free accessories.

A friend bought from the Yamaha dealer opposite Esso on Prabarami Rd in Patong, maybe you could check there too. It's a big building with big Yamaha sign.

Honda air blade the best of the new auto's IMO...

I like the look of the Air Blade too and I assume that Honda's bikes are as reliable as their cars.

I'm torn however as her friend owns a rental business and swears blind that Yamahas are great!

If it were a car I'd have no problem choosing but I know nothing about bikes.

Yamaha Nuovo is OK.. I prefer a non auto, I find they tend to have that bit more power (I know its a scooter) and I feel sort of sat on top with the Nuovos ride position.

I would buy an air blade.. They are the newest. They seem to have the better power.. They are honda.. They are cheaper I think.

In another year when shes upgraded her rental stock she will swear by the honda :o !!

Edited by LivinLOS

• 1 year later...

I have an air blade and one of those older models from Honda. ( sorry forgot the model name )

My older bike ( about 6 years old ) is still great to get around and needs almost no or little maintenance.

I would say go for the Honda.

I don't have experience with the Yamaha but i don't hear many good stories about the older models.

In Phuket, I cannot recommend any dealers but given that there are some big hills, I'd go for a semi-auto like a Honda Wave or Dream as autos don't have any engine braking to speak of and are a bit more thirsty. The new Wave X looks like a nice bike to me.

Having said that, I just bought a new Yamaha Nuovo 135 and am very happy with it. IMHO, better than the Airblade that the wife has.

Cheers,

Pikey.