Enterprising young Cambodian impresses with multi-lingual skills

rooster59

Enterprising young Cambodian impresses with multi-lingual skills

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2018-11-11-at-17.17.29.jpg

Young vendors become very resourceful at extracting money from tourists. All in the quest of making an honest living and bringing some money to their families.

But this enterprising young boy seems to have knowledge of at least seven languages, obviously representing the most popular languages spoken by the tourists he speaks to during his daily rounds.

Netizens are impressed by his talents but some are saying that the boy has to develop this skill in order to survive.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/people/enterprising-young-cambodian-impresses-with-multi-lingual-skills

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-02-02

I'm wowed. Gonna download this video and show it to the next Thai person applying for a job that I clearly advertised as requiring an "excellent command of English," only for the applicant to turn out to have not advanced beyond the "I velly goose sapeek Inglit" stage. 

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

No work permit. Deport him!

This is filmed in Siem Reap , not Thailand. 

He lives there with his family and after school goes to Angor Wat to sell souvenirs according to the original poster on Youtube. 

This is a smart kid who can learn any language , let's hope he'll get the education he needs. 

Try to find a Thai kid that can do the same , that's a tough one! 

5 minutes ago, balo said:

This is filmed in Siem Reap , not Thailand. 

He lives there with his family and after school goes to Angor Wat to sell souvenirs according to the original poster on Youtube. 

This is a smart kid who can learn any language , let's hope he'll get the education he needs. 

Try to find a Thai kid that can do the same , that's a tough one!

Aha! I missed that too, I see now it's in the youtube notes. So how come this is in Thailand News?

Great story but the continual comparisons with Thai kids is part of the reason why many farang don't communicate with each other well. Too busy comparing and this is a seriously childish shallow attitude. Met a Thai 5 year old last week who transitioned to English exactly as needed in the context of the situation. Come across many Thais speaking English well with no need to celebrate it. 

On 2/2/2019 at 12:12 PM, bluesofa said:

Aha! I missed that too, I see now it's in the youtube notes. So how come this is in Thailand News?

Just trying to sneak it though as Thai with the very non-specific headline , and of course Thai being the hub of everything - someone thought it would fly.

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Great story but the continual comparisons with Thai kids is part of the reason why many farang don't communicate with each other well. Too busy comparing and this is a seriously childish shallow attitude. Met a Thai 5 year old last week who transitioned to English exactly as needed in the context of the situation. Come across many Thais speaking English well with no need to celebrate it. 

yes, the level of English is improving - especially in the younger kids who's parents can afford to have them in English programmes or language lessons. I also find many older Thais can communicate in English but a little shy to use it - which is a great shame.      

Archived