War on smokers: Smoking outside condos, public buildings officially BANNED

webfact

War on smokers: Smoking outside condos, public buildings officially BANNED

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thailand's continuing war on smokers has been ratcheted up a notch. 

From now on exclusion zones for smokers will extend several meters from the entrances to buildings.

Smokers will no longer be able to just step out the door onto the street and enjoy a cigarette. 

The new measures were proposed back in 2017 and have come into force on Sunday. Public health officials were at Chatujak weekend market on Saturday in a public information and awareness drive. 

Smokers will not be able to light up within five meters of entrances or exits of virtually any public buildings.

It refers to buildings in both the public and private sector and includes offices, schools and hospitals.

In addition all parks, markets and bus stops are smoke free zones. 

No smoking is allowed inside any public buildings or vehicles.

The exception is that government offices and state premises, universities and airports can still designate a smoking area on their sites within strict rules. 

Sanook said that Thai authorities were carrying out a concerted effort to ensure the rules are known and enforced. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-04

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see a resurgence of chewing baccie

maybe smokers will be sauntering around with unlit ciggy  in mouth... just for the taste of it? (making sure no lighter nor matches in their pockets) to be caught out with no presumption of intent!   

This new attack on smoking is part of the plans for reduction of air pollution. It is hilarious. Just how effective will this effort be? Instead of going after the chief causes they are going after smokers - an easy target. And no, I am not a smoker.  

To be fair, most buildings in the private sector already have designated smoking zones away from general areas. This seems to work better for both parties, the non smokers as they do not have to walk through the haze and the smokers as they can sit in a designated areas etc

Believe it or not most smokers are conscious of their smoke going over other people (amazingly even between two smokers) so i am sure this will be welcomed by smokers as well.

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

To be fair, most buildings in the private sector already have designated smoking zones away from general areas. This seems to work better for both parties, the non smokers as they do not have to walk through the haze and the smokers as they can sit in a designated areas etc

Believe it or not most smokers are conscious of their smoke going over other people (amazingly even between two smokers) so i am sure this will be welcomed by smokers as well.

Even in restaurants I tend to ask if someone mind I smoke a cigarette, as well as if there is a designated smoking area ???? Smoking is my bad habit, don't want to push it to anyone else ????

9 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yesterday for lunch I was at an outdoor Thai restaurant when a filthy Chinese lit up in the restaurant and proceeded to walk out. A few of the patrons caught the vapours of his filthy habit including myself and the missus. 

No-one should be subject to the disgusting habits of others. 

This is excellent news and hope it is actually enforced solidly. 

Well done Thailand.

Yeah...ahm...I don't drive a car, but I am subjected to the fumes and the danger everyday!

Now, I suffer because of polluted air!

So...I want everybody to stop driving!

Really? You know burning anything is banned since January but all my neighbors are doing it. MY mother in law called police 3 days in the row, eventually they showed up. Talked to the guy and left, after 5 mins he started a new fire right near my house. 

Sure rules are enforced. 

17 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yesterday for lunch I was at an outdoor Thai restaurant when a filthy Chinese lit up in the restaurant and proceeded to walk out. A few of the patrons caught the vapours of his filthy habit including myself and the missus. 

Well done Thailand.

Would that be a cigarette in yer hand father ?  

11 minutes ago, sup3r1or said:

Really? You know burning anything is banned since January but all my neighbors are doing it. MY mother in law called police 3 days in the row, eventually they showed up. Talked to the guy and left, after 5 mins he started a new fire right near my house. 

Sure rules are enforced. 

This pi$$es me off too. Right opposite my house at the end of the soi the locals burn everything by their gate , plastic netting , plastic bags that pineapples arrive in and wet grass. No flames just black smoke, the TW doesn't want to complain as neighbours so I slam windows .  The trash is collected from about 100 metres up the soi 3 times a week but the lazy chaps would rather see smoke.

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

This is becoming more and more ridiculous!

...no...I am not a smoker!

Why would it bother you unless you are the one affected by this? People on here are ranting about pollution 55555 but then get upset when they post new rules about smoking or drinking. If someone wants to smoke or drink let them. The fines should help the economy lol

14 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

4 school girls on a bike no helmets no license so no insurance how about stopping that? leave us smokers alone

They truly don't care about there people. if they did they would do something, that has a real effect on the problems here.

Also the parents don't care about there retirement funds,

they just make more, if they lose one or two.

Carry on smoking , boys and girls.

can't see you all dying of cancer in Thailand.

something else will get you way before that.  :giggle:

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

They truly don't care about there people. if they did they would do something, that has a real effect on the problems here.

Also the parents don't care about there retirement funds,

they just make more, if they lose one or two.

Carry on smoking , boys and girls.

Will do cheers

4 minutes ago, InsertNameHere said:

Why would it bother you unless you are the one affected by this? People on here are ranting about pollution 55555 but then get upset when they post new rules about smoking or drinking. If someone wants to smoke or drink let them. The fines should help the economy lol

I a bothered because it is idiotic!

I bet, smokers contribute to air- pollution in  a minimal way, compared to a bunch of other things, that go unpunished!

And also: first smokers had to go outside, then away from the beaches (last time I checked: pretty much outside!), now away from buildings, but not too far, so they could end up in a park...

It is just plain stupid and that's what bothers me!

There are many fields, where fines would be helping the economy way more and no one bothers about that!

But I guess, you have excellent points in favor of this madness?!

The smokers brought this on themselves. The hang around the doors, blocking people, tossing their butts and bothering everyone with the smoke. In plain language they are a nuisance. they want to smoke. Fine. They can go and smoke where they don't bother people or cause a nuisance.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Smokers will not be able to light up within five meters of entrances or exits of virtually any public buildings.

Oh they will, and they will. Nobody truly believes this is really going to be enforced, right? For those of you new to Thailand - a list of other things that are BANNED! Driving through junctions when the lights are red, riding a motorbike on the sidewalk, riding a motorbike against the flow of traffic, riding a car or truck against the flow of traffic, riding without a helmet etc. etc. etc. ????

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The smokers brought this on themselves. The hang around the doors, blocking people, tossing their butts and bothering everyone with the smoke. In plain language they are a nuisance. they want to smoke. Fine. They can go and smoke where they don't bother people or cause a nuisance.

Care to elaborate, where you would like to see them smoke?

Because it seems, there is always someone, feeling "nuisanced" by some one, smoking!

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Well done Thailand.

And i hate it when i buy an expensive meal in a good restaurant and the kids from the neighbours start making loads of noise and running around.

Archived