Lost passport in Samui. What now?

I have somehow mislaid or lost my passport here in Samui. Couldn't happen at a worse time as I am due to fly to UK on 18th Feb.

I understand that I must get a police report in order to apply for an Emergency Travel Document (ETD), or new passport. Though I doubt that I have time to be issued with a new passport as I fly in under two weeks.

So if I apply for an ETD, will I have to apply for a new passport in the UK once I arrive? I will only be there for five days. Or can I return on the ETD then apply here?

I only just renewed my extension based on retirement here in Samui three weeks ago, along with my Multiple re-entry permit.

What happens to these? Do I lose them and have to start all over again?

Thanks in advance for any help advice.

I don't know how it works with the UK embassy, but the American embassy will issue a replacement passport in a day or less, as I recall.  Other than an inconvenience, I can't imagine this would have been a big deal.  But congrats on finding it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Why carry your passport around take pictures on your mobile showing your details and visa stamp ! 

I have lots of copies of my passport photo page at home, as always needed here in Thailand for banks, immigration etc. I also keep a laminated copy of photo page, that I carry on me.

This time, I needed to show the original passport for something. I remember that afterwards, I reclined the seat in my girlfriend's car for a snooze while she went shopping. It must have fallen out then. That was a week ago. Didn't miss it because I hadn't needed it.

But you are right. I already had a scan of my passport in my phone, but his has encouraged me to also scan my current visa stamp, multi re-entry permit, and landing card number. Just in case.

If one does lose a passport here, does one also lose their visa? In my case a retirement extension. Once a new passport is issued, can immigration just check their files and transfer existing extension to new passport? Handy to know.

Edited by phetphet

Just for the record, you can get a British return ETD if you live in the country you are applying from. It's a one trick pony as it will only let you travel the route you declare (which is printed on the document). You can also apply for an urgent passport in the UK (twice the price as a normal one) which requires you to make an online appointment at least 2 days in advance - the passport is issued 30 mins after the appointment.

• Like 1