Chiang Mai - Retirement Visa Extension Procedure and new passport

I recently applied at the Australian consulate in Chiang Mai for a new Australian passport. My old passport had five months before it expired but as my retirement visa expires at the end of February I decided to apply for an extension using my new passport. I have read conflicting accounts about how IO just extends the visa as you cannot transfer the original from one passport to another. This is essence is correct, however there is a slight twist. On 5th February, I visited the refurbished IO near the airport as Promenada is now closed, this was my experience, and it was extremely easy.

Documents required:

- New passport,

- Old passport,

- Bankbook ( and copies of all pages) plus letter of confirmation from bank,

- Copies of old passport and new passport (old passport has official stamp from Australiam embassy noting transfer of details and new passport number),

- Completer TM7 form (Extension)

- Completed TM8 form (Re-entry permit)

- 2 x photos (as per Thai immigration specification)

- Form for transfer of visa information to new passport (these are available at IO )

Process: 

1.  09:00 - Arrived at IO office with my documentation, Information counter checks and issues ticket number. (first ticket is for transfer of visa details)
  2.  09:05 - Proceeded to correct counter number where IO checked document and form. IO stamps new passport with extension stamp and enters previous details from expiring stamps out of old passport, also stamps details on Non O visa and previous extension dates. (This is in fact a duplication of the stamp and details which were in my old passport)
  3. 09:25 - Take passports (get a copy of stamp details page from new passport) back to information desk and have TM7 and corresponding documents checked and receive new counter ticket number.
  4. 09:50 - Called to counter and present documents, have photo taken by IO, new passport stamped paid fee 1,900 Bht, and asked to take a seat.
  5. 10:20 - Called to counter and given new passport with visa extension stamp inside,
  6. 10:25 - Proceed to information counter and present TM8 and passport, issued new ticket counter number,
  7. 10:30 - Called to counter and present TM8 and passport, had photo taken, paid fee 3,800 Bht, and asked to take a seat,
  8. 10:40 - collect complete passport and leave Immigration

Total time at immigration 2 hours and 45 minutes, all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Overall experience, 10/10.

Note: Apparently the office operates from 06:00 - 16:00, no need to get there at dawn and queue as has been in the past.

The previous day my wife went to the same office ( upstairs) to have my confirmation of stay at her house re-issued, (no forms to fill in just issued new insert for passport) Time at office, less than 15 minutes.

Edited by Taffyfromflint
  • Thanks 1