Help needed 6 digit meters

Sundown

Hello. I have rented a villa which has a 6 digits meter. Now what scares me is that not using air con in 24 hours just having an external light on (we didn't stay there) the reading to the last digit would be around 75 units. 350 baht for just one light and fridge and wifi modem connected? I would say that the last digit must be a 1/10 but giving a look to the meter it says 1...(I cannot check the previous bill as it was on another tenant. The Thai owner, of course, doesn't know)

IMG_20190207_201012.jpg

Last digit is indeed single units, the small sub-divisions are 1/10th.

Over how long did you use 75 units?

How big is the fridge, what is the technology of the outside light (fluorescent, tungsten, LED) and how long per night is it on?

8 hours ago, Sundown said:

not using air con in 24 hours just having an external light on (we didn't stay there) the reading to the last digit would be around 75 units. 350 baht for just one light and fridge and wifi modem connected?

I'm reading that for 24 hours you only used the appliances above?

To my mind, if that is correct, then it looks like 10,000 Baht for a month which is completely wrong - unless it was a walk-in freezer room - ha ha!

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm reading that for 24 hours you only used the appliances above?

To my mind, if that is correct, then it looks like 10,000 Baht for a month which is completely wrong - unless it was a walk-in freezer room - ha ha!

Indeed! We need a little clarification from our OP as to exactly what was on and over what period to use 75 units.

A 15/45 3-phase supply is pretty big (30kVA), it's possible there's something else lurking, a pool pump perhaps.

Yes, there is a pool pump and the fridge is quite big. Still, the consumption looks crazy high. How much will I spend when I actually live there?30000 baht per month? I will do some test to see what is eating so much energy, thanks for the replies.

75 units where used over exactly 24 hours. In those 24 hours noone lived there (not even one minute of air-conditioning). The light bulbs are LED and just a couple of them were left on for security purposes 

How is this 75 units arrived at? I see only one photo showing one meter reading. You need two readings to calculate the difference. If it is really using 75 units/day then a second photo taken just a few hours later the same day would already show a significantly higher reading.

16 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

How is this 75 units arrived at? I see only one photo showing one meter reading. You need two readings to calculate the difference. If it is really using 75 units/day then a second photo taken just a few hours later the same day would already show a significantly higher reading.

Lol are you doubting that I cannot count properly? I have the other pictures if needed but be sure it's 75 units if counted to the last digit, I counted them 5 times since I couldn't believe the reading. I measured exactly at the exact same time (6/02 and 7/02 at 18:30). 

Now I really have the doubt that is not my meter since on the same pole there is another one and there is a 5 floor residence nearby. Do the numbers on the meter (like PEA..etc) have to match some numbers I have on the electricity switches panel that is mounted in the house?  

27 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Now I really have the doubt that is not my meter since on the same pole there is another one and there is a 5 floor residence nearby. Do the numbers on the meter (like PEA..etc) have to match some numbers I have on the electricity switches panel that is mounted in the house?  

The meter says that it is a 3-phase 4-line connection. Huge.

Not many private detached houses have this.

How big is this villa?

How many lines are going from the pole to the house?

There is no number match between switch panels and meter.

The only match is the meter number on the bill.

An owner who does not know which is his meter/connection?

Overly stupid/hard to believe.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

How big is this villa?

How many lines are going from the pole to the house?

Yes, the PEA meter serial number at the top of the photo 27051482 should be the same one that appears on the electric bill as 'PEA No' at the top centre of the electric bill (well that's where it appears on ours anyway).

36 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

How big is this villa?

It is a 2 stories + basement 3 bedrooms Villa + maid house (probably that's the reason for the big service) and thanks for the answer on the number match.

That is why I asked the last utility bill or at least an old one. The answer I get is CANNOT. You guys live in Thailand, you know what I am talking about.

I reached out to the agent and he told me this is impossible since the previous tenant paid a normal 5000 thb bill. Thanks for the help anyways hope today I will be able to solve this (really hope so)

Also, do you have overhead wires from the street to the house? How many are there (2 or 4). I wonder if you are looking at the right meter, see if you can trace the cables from the meter to the house.

75 units in 24 hours is an average load of over 3kW!! You should be able to see that easily on the meter (60 revs of the disk per kWh). As noted above, turn off at your main breaker and check nothing is going round.

If you have a water heater, turn it on, that should make the disk go round rather faster. It should be fairly easy to determine which is your meter.

3 hours ago, Sundown said:

Yes, there is a pool pump and the fridge is quite big. Still, the consumption looks crazy high. How much will I spend when I actually live there?30000 baht per month? I will do some test to see what is eating so much energy, thanks for the replies.

Even our favourite energy sucker @Naam doesn't use that much juice and he has his home at arctic temperatures.

We have a bill between 5 and 6 k Baht per month, standing load of about 800Watts most of which is Madam's koi pond, ruddy fish (and dogs, geese, chickens, guinea fowl) get treated better than me ????

Thanks for the valuable informations and help. It helped a lot while I was panicking lol.

Turns out that was not my meter but that of a 10 bedroom Villa. I've done error and trial switching on and off the master panel and I found which meter is mine. (I guess)

29 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Thanks for the valuable informations and help. It helped a lot while I was panicking lol.

Turns out that was not my meter but that of a 10 bedroom Villa. I've done error and trial switching on and off the master panel and I found which meter is mine. (I guess)

I know you keep coming up against 'cannot', but...the only thing I can think of at present is asking the owner to contact PEA - if the electric bill is in his name - and giving the address they would be able to find find the meter serial number and tell him the last meter reading taken and the reading date. It might help you? I know it is more than likely going to be easier to push string uphill.

Another idea might be if you know the address, call PEA yourself and explain the situation. There is a nationwide number 1129 (just four those digits). You will be asked to press 9 for English. Their English is quite passable.

I call them when we have a power outage (61 in five years). Everyone else in the village sits around wondering when the power will come back on, whereas I wait thirty minutes and call them. Invariably if it's a local outage I'm always the first to inform them.

Anyway, good luck. If you manage to find the meter serial number and details, you will end up a lot better informed than most Thais.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I know you keep coming up against 'cannot', but...the only thing I can think of at present is asking the owner to contact PEA - if the electric bill is in his name - and giving the address they would be able to find find the meter serial number and tell him the last meter reading taken and the reading date. It might help you? I know it is more than likely going to be easier to push string uphill.

Another idea might be if you know the address, call PEA yourself and explain the situation. There is a nationwide number 1129 (just four those digits). You will be asked to press 9 for English. Their English is quite passable.

I call them when we have a power outage (61 in five years). Everyone else in the village sits around wondering when the power will come back on, whereas I wait thirty minutes and call them. Invariably if it's a local outage I'm always the first to inform them.

Anyway, good luck. If you manage to find the meter serial number and details, you will end up a lot better informed than most Thais.

Thank! Very helpful I had no idea about the 1129 infoline

Archived