Bad Parts Of Bangkok

John K

OK only because I don’t know, what parts of Bangkok would be seen as high crime areas or otherwise places to avoid? Every city has them and it certainly a good Idea to know where they are.

Like most Asian mega cities, Bangkok does not really have specfic "high crime areas". In most places you can have slums right next to walled multi million baht componds. Each road/soi has its own character, good or bad or most likely a mixture. Probably not a good idea to go wandering around any dark unfamilar area.

TH

makkasan seems to have a bad reputation , anyone confirm ?

Don't know this place or many others either. Patpong gogo bar touts have a very bad rep. according to reports.

As Bill Clinton would say... "It depends on how you define the word bad..." :o

OK only because I don’t know, what parts of Bangkok would be seen as high crime areas or otherwise places to avoid? Every city has them and it certainly a good Idea to know where they are.

Like most Asian mega cities, Bangkok does not really have specfic "high crime areas". In most places you can have slums right next to walled multi million baht componds. Each road/soi has its own character, good or bad or most likely a mixture. Probably not a good idea to go wandering around any dark unfamilar area.

TH

It certainly sound like it is only soi problems and not much on the main roads. The link was a good start but it seems fluid as it is the people and not the soi.

Good point in that slums can be next to high end homes, I guess that is one of the reason I stared this thread, there is no real “housing projects” type place to avoid. I would assume the SkyTrain and subway routes are for the most part safe.

I did take a walk around the Grand palace in the early evening a few weeks ago when it was cooler because I never had a chance to see it lit at night. I must admit there were some rough looking people of both genders around the park. It looked like I was the only non Thai there too.

I once was walking in Klong Toey, Art arong road, block (!) six, close to Duang Prateep Foundation and Thais there said to go away as it was dangerous because of drug users, mind you I had the same when I was wandering too far from a food nightmarket in Ayutaya once, so I guess it could happen anywhere.

And the parks next to Royal Palace between Ministry of Defense and Wat Po, that's a cruising and prostitution area. Take care your wallet.

Edited by orchis

Khlong Toei is by far and away the 'worst' area of BKK, however as pointed out Khlong Toei is a big area, going all the way over to Sukhumvit.

The actual bad area is at the port side, in the slum, which, having been in there a few times i dont recommend to anybody.

Peter;

I remember being dragged to the Mosquito Bar during the daytime by my cousin who was in the services then.

From what I understand (bar stories from drunks) the "Great Fire" in Klongtoey about 20+ years ago, and the "Cleanout" were factors in the place not being able to operate.

As I was only out of school, I was totally shocked by the place and the manner of the staff and also the patrons. To my knowledge, apart from the local Kara-OK type places, there are no bars like that any more in Klong Toey, but I will stand to be corrected - I have not been to that part of Klong Toey for years, even though I drive through it nearly every day.

Nice to read about and yes I seem to remember (albiet through a drunken haze--dont life ever change)....the Mosquito bar....in K.T...

There was also very similar places in our other ports of call ..namely pier 19 or was it 23 in Manila (near the Swedish/Norwegians club)as well as Taiwan, Keelung,Port Moresby,Honiara,New Caledonia,Rabaul,Guadacanal,Papeet,Hanoi,Singers and of course good old Wanchai in Hong Kong.......all very jolly stuff........o 2 be 21 agai...Mai Pen rai...

I ride my bike everywhere including the KT slums. The roughest area I have ridden thru is the Bang Sue slums behind the rot fay Bang Sue, no problems, even had grand mothers offer tea to me. The so called sois' there are about 90 cm wide with people on both sides and stinky water below. I have been stared and gawked at, but never had a problem.

There was a story in the Bangkok post a few days ago about ramkhamhaeng soi 8 being a bad Spot. I went past there today and made a point to look down the soi. It actually is a nice looking Soi will small clean looking shops similar to Sukhumvit 22 so appearance can be deceiving. I actually think the prakanong BTS station looks much more gloomy at night because of poor lighting and dark buildings.

• 11 years later...

It is an interesting thread from the perspective of what some of the oldtimers were thinking way back in 2007. Not much has changed though, has it? Bangkok really isn't a dangerous city if one uses common sense. I mean that in the context of comparing to big cities like London / New York/Paris/ Berlin which have districts where one dare not go. Obviously, one shouldn't walk around certain deserted districts, but muggings as we know them in the west are not common here. (I am not referring to the bouncer type assaults on Patpong or Nana as we all know that the  attackers and "victims" have a lot in common.) Sexual assault, holdups, bag snatches, yes those occur with frequency, but the  beat the crap out of someone for fun or opportunistic gun in the face thefts as seen elsewhere are infrequent. I have the impression that property crime reflects  other aspects of Thai culture where the criminals do not like to confront their victims. They prefer to do it anonymously.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Makkasan's got an airport link now... 

yep...I had a few bottles of Sangthip down in the slum area where the rail workers lived too..

Do you remember that BBQ chicken place by the rail crossing?? Bloody excellent food....the rats liked it too!!!

• Haha 1