Love Them, Don’t Ride Them

snoop1130

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It’s caused me to give one piece of advice: before you travel, get informed! Spending an afternoon researching

The OP content is good but I personally believe that the above excerpt from his/her/their writing is easier said than done.

I say this because I did do research before my first trip to Thailand. Yet that research showed me a very different picture than what I learned once there (perhaps I am not a good researcher). Lonely Planet is not on my recommended 'must read' list ! Nor is advice from other Thai tourists who can't even pronounce Phuket properly.

Perhaps the 'wrong' of riding an elephant or watching it walk a steel rail is more easily researched.

I think a little research may be wise (also taking some of it as sheer content) but a good dose of common sense is required once in that foreign country. Common sense, awareness and boots on the ground provides the best understanding.

Animal captivity and zoos: Not endorsed by me !

Went to Kruger National Park in South Africa. The guide told us once you see animals in the wild you will not want to go to a zoo ever again. That was true for me.

Yet I also understand that some animals would not exist in this world without zoos and some elephants and their human families would starve without tourists who want to ride the elephants. So no one size fits all solution. Education is the best idea then let everyone make their own choices. 

• Like 2