uk ni contributions

chang50

On 2/16/2019 at 4:34 PM, MartinL said:

What I was trying to say is that, if I receive a pension of (say) £130 p.w. and it's frozen, do voluntary contributions made AFTER receipt of pension actually increase that frozen pension? 

That's a new one on me, I wasn't aware that you could make voluntary contributions after you had started to draw the pension.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That's a new one on me, I wasn't aware that you could make voluntary contributions after you had started to draw the pension.

As I've already mentioned, I'm eligible for UK state pension later this year and the pensions people are obviously aware of that. My contribution record on Govt. Gateway specifically says that, for those years where I don't have a full contribution record (2010 onwards) VCs may be made until April 2023. No mention of that being dependent on my NOT drawing a pension this year. One of a number of queries that need to be clarified. Maybe it'll turn out that VCs CAN'T be made after drawing a pension but, at this stage, I don't know.

Your UK National Insurance record - Check your State Pension - GOV.pdfYour UK National Insurance record - Check your State Pension - GOV.pdfYour UK National Insurance record - Check your State Pension - GOV.pdf

Out of idle curiosity I tried to log in to a gateway account created 2 years ago while in UK but found I was unable to get in. Is this because I hadn't activated my VPN or hadn't used it in a while? I don't have a UK Mob# so doubt if I could easily open a new account.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Out of idle curiosity I tried to log in to a gateway account created 2 years ago while in UK but found I was unable to get in. Is this because I hadn't activated my VPN or hadn't used it in a while? I don't have a UK Mob# so doubt if I could easily open a new account.

You have needed to set up a phone no. for them to send you a pin each time you log in - started I think about 18 months ago or so.

Initially I used my Thai no. which worked sometimes and not others. So if you have no UK no. try that - use your existing log in to start and should then ask you for a phone number.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:13 PM, Baht Simpson said:

I haven't checked for a while but was under the impression you can pay a single lump sum to make up the shortfall at 67. Would it not be more prudent to find out how much the shortfall will be then budget accordingly? You can then hedge against any nasty surprises in the future.

The only issue with doing it that way is that the weekly amount you would currently pay is likely to go up - depending on how long you have to go before you reach retirement age perhaps substantially.

I tried to log in on the gateway site this morning. The code was sent to my phone without a problem but after clicking the option to remember the code for 7 days, I only get the sign in page reloading when I hit the green sign in button. It may be website issues. 

On 2/16/2019 at 12:52 PM, chang50 said:

Thanks they have already informed me the first year that will improve my position is 2016-17 but it is not clear whether I would be better to pay class 2 or 3 contributions or by Annual request.

I did this about a year ago & caught up on 6 years + the 2016/2017 Tax year so got 7 years contribution at Class 2 for approximately 980GBP...

Then signed-up to continue to pay at Class 2 for approx 150GBP per year...  

NB I'm not 100% sure, but I was led to believe that you have to be working overseas to pay at Class 2 rates but I'm not sure whether they check or not (I do an annual UK Tax Return which includes details of my Overseas employment so they would know that I do anyway).

AVC1.jpg

AVC2.jpg

42 minutes ago, topt said:

You have needed to set up a phone no. for them to send you a pin each time you log in - started I think about 18 months ago or so.

Initially I used my Thai no. which worked sometimes and not others. So if you have no UK no. try that - use your existing log in to start and should then ask you for a phone number.

There is an HMRC App for your phone that can be used to provide 2FA, on the Apple Store it's called HMRC.

Not sure if you need a UK mobile to get it set-up in the 1st place, but once it is set-up you don't need any mobile (Have just used it to log in to check my NI).

5 hours ago, MartinL said:

As I've already mentioned, I'm eligible for UK state pension later this year and the pensions people are obviously aware of that. My contribution record on Govt. Gateway specifically says that, for those years where I don't have a full contribution record (2010 onwards) VCs may be made until April 2023. No mention of that being dependent on my NOT drawing a pension this year. One of a number of queries that need to be clarified. Maybe it'll turn out that VCs CAN'T be made after drawing a pension but, at this stage, I don't know.

Your UK National Insurance record - Check your State Pension - GOV.pdfYour UK National Insurance record - Check your State Pension - GOV.pdfYour UK National Insurance record - Check your State Pension - GOV.pdf 67.67 kB · 3 downloads

Something I have never come across, so your original query still stands, the comment I made was based on all contributions being taken into account before the pension started.

6 hours ago, evadgib said:

gov. gateway now sends a pin number to your phone when logging in,  i can get to the log in page without a VPN

15 minutes ago, chang50 said:

Well I've completed the paperwork and hopefully will be paying class 3 contributions by annual request starting at the end of this tax year..

If you've missed previously years why not catch them up (Can do up to the previous 6 Tax Years plus they might let you do the 18/19 Tax Year if you apply now)

Did you ask about paying Class 2?

17 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If you've missed previously years why not catch them up (Can do up to the previous 6 Tax Years plus they might let you do the 18/19 Tax Year if you apply now)

Did you ask about paying Class 2?

The first year that will improve my estimate is 2016-17 which I will pay hopefully this year.I do not qualify for Class 2 contributions as I was not working when I left the UK.

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

I last paid NI in 2003.

In total i reckon i have paid 17, max 18 years NI.

What would i expect to get as a minimum state pension when i hit pensioner age in about 10 years?

Impossible to estimate you should create a government gateway account online for an estimate and what you can do to improve it.

8 hours ago, bouph12 said:

I tried to log in on the gateway site this morning. The code was sent to my phone without a problem but after clicking the option to remember the code for 7 days, I only get the sign in page reloading when I hit the green sign in button. It may be website issues. 

I had the same issue last week. Clearing browser cookies fixed it for me.

8 hours ago, topt said:

Alternatively you can install the HMRC phone app which can generate the code for you rather than receiving it via SMS.

I spoke to them today and they told me that for those of us paying Class 2 only (non-resident for tax in the UK and employed outside the EU) we have until April 2020 to pay 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 without penalty. I back paid class 2 a couple of years ago to bring myself up to date.

From April 2019, the class 2 only option for those employed overseas or in self employment is gone and the rate will increase from GBP2.95/week to GBP17.60/week (GBP915/year). At an extra GBP4.50/week in your pension for each year's contribution, you'd need to live about 4 years post retirement age to get your money back. I think at that rate I'll look at other investments, what was a good (excellent) deal is turning pretty poor.

6 hours ago, naboo said:

I spoke to them today and they told me that for those of us paying Class 2 only (non-resident for tax in the UK and employed outside the EU) we have until April 2020 to pay 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 without penalty. I back paid class 2 a couple of years ago to bring myself up to date.

From April 2019, the class 2 only option for those employed overseas or in self employment is gone and the rate will increase from GBP2.95/week to GBP17.60/week (GBP915/year). At an extra GBP4.50/week in your pension for each year's contribution, you'd need to live about 4 years post retirement age to get your money back. I think at that rate I'll look at other investments, what was a good (excellent) deal is turning pretty poor.

I’ve paid 35 years so far, 36 when I sort out 2017/2018 which is showing as partial payment (I’ve a feeing for a 40p miscalculation I made when catching up which they said they’d written off) so will pay 2018/2019 (1/2 paid already) then stop.

i was behind by about 30% in my contributions. the pension dept sent me (to thailand) what i needed to pay for each of the years there was shortfall to enable 100% pension payments from age 65. at the same time, there was a deadline for each year after which the option to pay shortfall was out of date.

i did calculations that revealed i would need to live at least three years from the first pension payment when reaching 65 to justify the capital outlay (shortfall).

i didnt pursue it and now i wish i had.

on balance, i think it would be wise to calculate for your particular situation. yes, i am UK citizen

chris

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Just checked my UK NI contributions.

8 years of full contributions

Not going to be much pension coming from that!

I seem to remember when reading a pamphlet regarding UK pensions that a minimum of 10 years contributions are required to obtain any UK government pension at all.  However, it did say that those below the minimum could purchase 'years' so as to qualify.  May be worth looking into.

Archived