How much load on a single socket?

JaiMaai

Being from the UK, I'm used to the idea of a 13 amp socket, which is then fused in the plug with a fuse of the appropriate size.

What is the maximum load that a standard Thai socket can take (assuming the correct gauge of wire is used and the sockets, plugs etc also comply to relevant regulations)?

Yeah, 16A on a regular outlet.

Should be wired in 2.5mm2 cable with a 20A breaker.

They do get a little warm @ 16A. 

All my high current tools have Schuko plugs and the correct outlet. They too are rated at 16A, evidently German Amps are different to Thai Amps. 

32 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Thanks, guys.

Just to be sure, that would be 16A split between each of the two outlets, right?

It's 16A max load per outlet, but (just like the UK) a double is not rated for full load on both outlets simultaneously.

The 20A breaker will limit you to a total load of 20A on a double.

IIRC a UK double is rated for a total load of 20A split between the two outlets.

20 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

General tip, if it's getting warm it's overloading.

Nah, just use a fan to blow away the smoke ????

On a serious note, the Thai plugs, even the good ones do get pretty warm (ok hot) when loaded at 16A continuously.

Flipping the coin, our 5.5kVA (25A @ 220V) genset has two Schuko outlets. I've only ever hooked up one of them. It was supposed to be a temporary job but since the plug/socket is showing no signs of stress after 5+ years it's never been changed. I even bought a 32A Commando outlet and plug to use, it's still on the shelf.

For some reason there is no quote button on your post OP.

" (assuming the correct gauge of wire is used and the sockets, plugs etc also comply to relevant regulations)? "  That's a pretty big assumption.

Take 'em out and fit UK sockets - that's what I've done.  Mind you, you'll be lucky if you have much more than 20amps coming in.  I recently 'upgraded' to what is supposed to be a 30 amp supply but the lights still flicker momentarily when I turn the hoover on (in any room) and the microwave slows down when I turn the kettle on ????...................................'Amazing Thailand'.

To be fair, your limitations will be far more influenced by the state of the wiring - I've given up trying to understand Thai 'electricians' - and I too use the term loosely, very loosely.  They seem to think that 1.5m3 cable is good enough for not only the circuit earths but also the main earth...........the words 'chocolate' and 'fireguard' come to mind. For a while I was convinced that there was no main earth at my house as all the wires on the earth bar in the consumer unit were 1.5m3 - I've never seen a main earth wired in 1.5m3 before. It was only when I tested for an earth that I realised that the incoming earth was also in 1.5m3 cable.

Don't just focus on the load on a particular socket - you need to check what's drawing off that circuit and that could be anything - the socket may take what you're wanting but can the circuit?  Until I sorted mine, flicking off one of the breakers turned off the living room sockets, lights and the gate lights, oh and one of the two sockets in the utility downstairs!!! 

It is very common in Thailand for the lights in a particular room to take their live from the socket closest to the light switch so you may have to include lights in any calculation - they usually have their own negative though, so that's allright then ????. Forget all this nonsense about having separate lighting circuits eh Somchai? ????.  Two of my circuits have between 2 and 5 volts running through them when they are turned off........................I've given up trying to find out why that is - amazingly everything works and nothing partially glows when its off so I'm just leaving it - I don't fancy taking the walls to bits.

10 hours ago, Moti24 said:

I doubt you'll find a ring-main in Thailand.

You shouldn't, actually you won't find them in many places outside the UK (even those that use BS1363 plugs). You most definitely shouldn't install them here with Thai outlets and unfused plugs.

Even in the UK the ring final is falling out of favour, many installers are opting for 4mm2 radials, same 32A capacity as a ring with none of the hidden failures that rings can exhibit.

Archived