How best to withdraw cash from an ATM

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe Krungsri bank allow up to 30,000 baht per day withdrawal from their ATM machines for a flat fee of about 200 baht, alternatively, from my understanding when I did research it a while back, you could do an over the counter withdrawal of up to 150,000 baht for the same fee.

I would also imagine they wouldn't want to many people to know this, that said, best start researching Krungsri bank ATM amounts and over the counter amounts, plus fees.

At a glance https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/3a59c668-4401-4ecb-8741-78956f29dd8e/fees-deposits-withdrawals-fcd-26022019.aspx

She doesn't have a fee free debit card and she cannot use a debit card to withdraw over the counter there....and what on earth does a Foreign Currency Deposit Account have to do with anything??

On 3/2/2019 at 9:33 PM, tifino said:

Credit cards are by capitas the largest source of personal debt -  just that some cards are easier to pay off than others, depending on what sort of Fee Free/Interest Free periods etc apply to respective banks' CCards. 

Many of those Credit card Fee/Interest free agreements are Limited Life though...   

Only for those without self control. I use my CCs extensively and have not had to pay interest in 30 years.  I also get 2% back on what I spend. 

• Like 2

American Express rules and rates.  They are accepted at most Bangkok Banks.  It looks to me to be expensive for other than small amounts.

Express Cash1

Express Cash allows you to use your Charge Card to withdraw cash from your designated bank account at participating ATM locations worldwide (visit www.amexatms.com to find the nearest ATM). You must be enrolled to use this feature. To enroll, call 1-800-CASH-NOW. Upon enrollment, we will send you a Personal Identification Number (PIN). You may change your PIN at any time. You must use your PIN along with your Card when withdrawing cash from an ATM. Upon enrollment, you will be asked to provide information designating the bank account that will be used for this service. 

1 Use these terms and conditions: Enrollment in Express Cash is required. When you withdraw cash at an ATM, your bank account will be debited the amount of the withdrawal (inclusive of any ATM operator or network fees) plus a fee of 3% of the total amount of your transaction or $5, whichever is greater. There may be a delay between the date of your cash withdrawal and the date that the total amount of your transaction, including applicable fees, is debited from your designated bank account. Please ensure that your designated bank account has sufficient funds to cover the amount of your transaction, including applicable fees. If a transaction is not honored by your bank for any reason, we will charge the amount of the transaction, including applicable fees, as well as an additional fee of $38, to your Card account. American Express will impose limits on the amount of each cash withdrawal. Your bank or the ATM owner may also charge additional fees, including ATM and overdraft fees, and may impose its own limits on the amount of each cash withdrawal. By using Express Cash, you are indicating your acceptance of the terms of the Electronic Fund Transfer agreement, which is provided to you when you receive your Card. You will be provided with an additional copy if you enroll in Express Cash, and otherwise upon request. For additional information about this feature, please call 1-800-CASH-NOW.

img_clear.gifimg_clear.gif

• Like 1

There are plenty of people who are totally out of the loop and don't know the ins and outs of  charges that can impact ones credit and debit card transactions.

I'm sure many don't have a clue.  If you think you have all the answers, then good for you.  

However, for those of you who would like an alternate opinion of foreign transaction fees and such as related to various credit cards etc., visit this link.  

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/what-is-foreign-transaction-fee.php

3 hours ago, mosan said:

There are plenty of people who are totally out of the loop and don't know the ins and outs of  charges that can impact ones credit and debit card transactions.

I'm sure many don't have a clue.  If you think you have all the answers, then good for you.  

However, for those of you who would like an alternate opinion of foreign transaction fees and such as related to various credit cards etc., visit this link.  

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/what-is-foreign-transaction-fee.php

Useful...if you are from the U.S.A...useless otherwise.

My friend and I are currently in Thailand.  About a month ago, our ATM cards were eaten by a local ATM machine.

We thought all was lost and that we'd have to get new ATM cards from our US bank.  But I did find out that sometimes there is a way to get swallowed cards back:

Our cards were swallowed by a Kasikorn ATM at Forum Tower in Huai Khwang, Bangkok.  With the help of a local Thai friend, we took a photo of the ATM machine -- which has an ATM ID number on the front of it -- and our friend helped us contact the bank, provide further information about the cards (somewhat akin to reporting lost luggage), and about a day later, we were able to go to one of the local bank branches nearby (in this case in the Big C complex) and pick them up -- once we presented proper ID to verify our identities and that the cards belonged to us.  We were able to do this also because we had held off on reporting the cards lost since they were eaten by the ATM machine.  And it didn't cost us a penny to get our ATM cards back.

As for the multiple service charges for using an ATM in Thailand, I don't know of any way around the service charges other than to bring cash with you and exchanging it for local currency -- part of it upon arrival and in stages when needed via a moneychanger at places in Big C complexes, for example.

48 minutes ago, kimmywest1568 said:

My friend and I are currently in Thailand.  About a month ago, our ATM cards were eaten by a local ATM machine.

We thought all was lost and that we'd have to get new ATM cards from our US bank.  But I did find out that sometimes there is a way to get swallowed cards back:

Our cards were swallowed by a Kasikorn ATM at Forum Tower in Huai Khwang, Bangkok.  With the help of a local Thai friend, we took a photo of the ATM machine -- which has an ATM ID number on the front of it -- and our friend helped us contact the bank, provide further information about the cards (somewhat akin to reporting lost luggage), and about a day later, we were able to go to one of the local bank branches nearby (in this case in the Big C complex) and pick them up -- once we presented proper ID to verify our identities and that the cards belonged to us.  We were able to do this also because we had held off on reporting the cards lost since they were eaten by the ATM machine.  And it didn't cost us a penny to get our ATM cards back.

As for the multiple service charges for using an ATM in Thailand, I don't know of any way around the service charges other than to bring cash with you and exchanging it for local currency -- part of it upon arrival and in stages when needed via a moneychanger at places in Big C complexes, for example.

Did you find out why they were eaten in the first place?