1-2 year old Chinese bikes vs 20 year old Japanese, which is more reliable?

Finnc99

I like the style of the stallion centaurs, gpx legend. A 1-2 year old stallion, gpx or chinese bike is 20k, a 15-20 year old kawasaki, honda with similar looks is the same price. Which would be more reliable?

Looking for a cheap transition to get into big bikes, only ever drove 125cc autos before, so looking for a fully manual 200cc-ish bike.

would appreciate any advice, thanks

The Chinese garbage will be easier to find parts.

I don’t think so. There are dozens of firms that specialize in ‘old’ jap models and as many owners clubs world-wide. I doubt interest is as big for a 1-2 year old Chinese model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

Read your topic title again ... And ask yourself -

How was the old Japanese bike maintained ? If poorly, or not at all, then the Chinese bike will be more reliable.

I could go on and on ...

Your question is so open-ended that no concrete answer is possible.

Sorry, I know the question was a bit too open. It was more to ask peoples opinions - of course I wouldn't want to buy a bike that hadn't been looked after properly. 

Thank you.

Only buy a +15year old bike if you like tinkering, there will likely often be something that needs attention and they are carbureted and it's a dying craftsmanship to set it/them up.

Why not buy a slightly used 250-300cc Japanese bike? A cb300f/r can be had cheap now, I think you can get them for app 50k baht if you shop a bit around. 

I never owned a Chinese bike and I never will, but some posters here on bike forum seems happy with theirs but not for me, no thanks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnc99 said:

I like the style of the stallion centaurs, gpx legend. A 1-2 year old stallion, gpx or chinese bike is 20k, a 15-20 year old kawasaki, honda with similar looks is the same price. Which would be more reliable?

Looking for a cheap transition to get into big bikes, only ever drove 125cc autos before, so looking for a fully manual 200cc-ish bike.

would appreciate any advice, thanks

I'm wondering what kind of "big bike" you can find for 20K Honda or Kawa branded ?

A wave !? a Phantom ?

What do you have in mind ? tell us what models you were thinking about ....

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

I don’t think so. There are dozens of firms that specialize in ‘old’ jap models and as many owners clubs world-wide. I doubt interest is as big for a 1-2 year old Chinese model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1-2 year old Chinese bikes will need a lot of new parts which can be purchased anywhere, though. 

My experience with older jap bikes, if you can find someone willing AND qualified to fix it, you’ll be sourcing used parts at high prices. 

4 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

I'm wondering what kind of "big bike" you can find for 20K Honda or Kawa branded ?

A wave !? a Phantom ?

Could get a beater 2 stroke serpico or nsr for around that price.

6 minutes ago, lust said:

Could get a beater 2 stroke serpico or nsr for around that price.

Yah but from what i've  seen the NSRs don't age too good, they really look like sh**** after some time.

Good old Kawasaci plastics and painting..... mmmmmm.

20 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

A wave !? a Phantom ?

I said looking for a bike to use to transition to using big bikes. I would rather go 125 200 then onto a big bike, not from 125 to 400 - I think I would do a backflip.

Kawasaki's aren't actually that expensive, the price seems to drop on them, the w175 selling for 80k+new is 60kish 9 months old. 

I don't like the phantoms as the seat is too low, but I guess that it can be modified - but the price is ok. Same as the Kawasaki Boss W175 - seems around mid 20k

I've seen a  kawasaki estralla250 in good condition for mid 20k says it is 1998 model, and a honda phantom (2002) modified tracker style for 30k~

Edited by Finnc99
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Finnc99 said:

I said looking for a bike to use to transition to using big bikes. I would rather go 125 200 then onto a big bike, not from 125 to 400 - I think I would do a backflip.

Kawasaki's aren't actually that expensive, the price seems to drop on them, the w175 selling for 80k+new is 60kish 9 months old. 

I don't like the phantoms as the seat is too low, but I guess that it can be modified - but the price is ok. Same as the Kawasaki Boss W175 - seems around mid 20k

I've seen a  kawasaki estralla250 in good condition for mid 20k says it is 1998 model, and a honda phantom (2002) modified tracker style for 30k~

For 20K THB, good condition, green book!? How many KM ?

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

what?  I just paid 11,800 Bhat for 4 new tyres on my car. 

What 11 K for 4 tyres !? what brand is that ?

Whaaaaat, for a big bike it costs 10-20k+ for 2 ....

What's up with the rolling eyes pillotman !?

Edited by Pepper9187
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pepper9187 said:

Old CBR 150 could be a good choice but the seating position is awful on the old ones, it's like driving a supersport bike.

Was considering a CBR150, but I hate how high the pillion seat is.

Edited by Finnc99

3 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Old CBR 150 could be a good choice but the seating position is awful on the old ones, it's like driving a supersport bike.

So true.

Handle bars can be raised a few inches,

then fine.

Not sure what you get for 20k, but I don't see a point of buying a 20 yesrs old bike, unless you're into repairing and maintenance work yourself... the only one might work , as they are still so many, is Honda Phantom.

As for Chinese bikes, some have good reviews and some don't, so need to do your research, I remember doing mine, the only one had good reviews and worthy, was Stallion 400cc, but they are not cheap.... I've seen it close up and sat on it, it feels very solid...

I rented a Keeway 200cc Superlight for a few days and did a trip, not that pleased, felt like a tank, well, I've never driven a tank, but heavy and sluggish,  gear change and breaks were tough and rough ...

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 9:04 PM, Pepper9187 said:

About the 150 CBR I found the seating position untenable for me 191 cm tall and 120 kgs fat. So I too the risers from a Phantom and a motocross handlebar and re-padded the seat till just about even with the pillion seat and it works fine for me. By the way the wife bought the CBR for a surprise and yikes was I ever. It wouldn't have been my choice  but I have  put a lot of kms on it since and find its power enough for the speed That I travel at and comfortable enough for an hour or two that need to stretch the legs and back but am very happy with  it. And as many have mentioned it can be repaired anywhere and used one are very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

i went from 110 to 1100 cc, first week it was driving me,

but after that, it was as if i was born on a big bike,

and it was safer to drive since it fitted me better,

had more power and more braking power as well, not to mention flats doesnt actually becomes flats on those tires,

which yet again contribute to safety.

only downside is expenses increases 10 fold,

and local mechanics cant fix them

Edited by brokenbone

52 minutes ago, deonvz said:

The 20 year old bikes probably have most parts replaced with a cheaper Chinese brand.

You mean replace the original Chinese made parts with other Chinese parts ?

BMW engines - made in China for home market since 2013.

Every automobile, truck, motorcycle manufacturer in the world - parts made in China

What is your point ?

• Like 1

GPX is now an established low cost brand with dealers all over the country. Same I would reckon for good availability of spare parts.

In your price range you'll probably limited to newer second hand GPX models or older Japanese bikes such as CBR or Phantom. If your adventurous, go for an old two stroke model. It will be fun!