Cyclist killed by car in Korat

rooster59

Cyclist killed by car in Korat

By The Nation

A bicyclist was killed on Friday night when he was hit by a car in Nakhon Ratchasima's Chokchai district.

Police said the accident happened on the Chokchai-Chaimongkol road in Ban Sao Diew village in Tambon Tha Ang at 7.28pm.

The cyclist was identified as Krissada Phumalee, 34. He was wearing a cyclist exercise outfit.

The female car driver, 35, who asked police not to release her name, waited for police at the scene.

Police said the road was often used by bicyclists for exercise during the daytime because the area is dark at night.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365486

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-10

Damn, that's rough.  I've been riding for about 4 months or so as running/jogging, including on my treadmill, was giving me trouble now and then. 

I ride 2.4km to a neighboring moo baan with a large open circuit intended for future construction.  No dogs, no traffic other than other bikes, joggers, walkers, etc.  I avoid main roads and highways and new areas where I don't know the dog situation. 

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

I have seen quite a few cyclists at night. I have never seen any of them with lights or even reflectors. RIP to the cyclist. 

on occasion in bangkok see cyclists of high end bikes all with very good lighting and helmets.

in bkk i only ride in daytime and stay on sidewalks as much as possible and use a motorbike helmet

8 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Very sad. I don't cycle at night but see many Thai cyclist in the evenings, but most have good lightning on their bikes.

not sure if good lighting will help if a Thai is driving a car, they dont seem to see much even in daylight.

5 minutes ago, Galactus said:

riding a bicycle is a lot more dangerous than riding a motorbike here.

Depends on what roads but in general I agree. More speed means less people passing you from behind, more speed also means your fast at a u turn. Around my area biking would be dangerous on the main roads but not so much with a motorcycle. 

I think bikes and motorcycles are equally dangerous on other slower roads but on fast roads the motorbike wins safety wise.

Please be fair. we do not know the circumstances. Note that the woman remained at the scene of the collision. That in itself is suggestive that the cyclist may have had some responsibility. We all know that  the locals take off when they screw up.

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Depends on what roads but in general I agree. More speed means less people passing you from behind, more speed also means your fast at a u turn. Around my area biking would be dangerous on the main roads but not so much with a motorcycle. 

I think bikes and motorcycles are equally dangerous on other slower roads but on fast roads the motorbike wins safety wise.

more speed also means you can get out of the dangerous situations.

but yes. both are dangerous here. heck, even walking can be dangerous here!

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:20 AM, Tomahawk21 said:

not sure if good lighting will help if a Thai is driving a car, they dont seem to see much even in daylight

That is maybe so but I must say that most bicyclist`s (i.e. cycling for exercise) I meet nowadays before sunrise really have picked up the habit of using good lightning on their bicycles.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:12 AM, Darkside Gray said:

Please its cyclist not bicyclist.

Key difference: A cycle refers to a regular rotation process, is a type of engine which can be in two or four cycle forms, while the one with two cycle form is called as bicycle. A bicycle is a human-powered, pedal-driven, single-track vehicle which has two wheels, one behind the other attached to a frame.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:41 PM, rooster59 said:

...the road was often used by bicyclists for exercise during the daytime because the area is dark at night.

Darkness at night. Obviously a phenomenon that is unique to the Chokchai district of Korat

On 3/11/2019 at 10:35 AM, Galactus said:

riding a bicycle is a lot more dangerous than riding a motorbike here.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:41 AM, robblok said:

Depends on what roads but in general I agree.

WHO credits only 8% of deaths on Thai roads to bicycles and pedestrians. So that would indicate it's better to cycle or walk in Thailand.

20 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

WHO credits only 8% of deaths on Thai roads to bicycles and pedestrians. So that would indicate it's better to cycle or walk in Thailand.

Maybe you should learn a bit about statistics. 

You should take into account too the amount of people riding bicycles. If that is far less then motorcycles (and it is) its only logical that the total amount of deaths is lower too. So you can't use the figures in the way you want.

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

You should take into account too the amount of people riding bicycles.

We/I am talking cyclists and pedestrians combined. Those 2 combined exceed the amount of motorcycle/cars in Thailand.

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe you should learn a bit about statistics.

Hypocrite.

Just now, Rally123 said:

We/I am talking cyclists and pedestrians combined. Those 2 combined exceed the amount of motorcycle/cars in Thailand.

Hypocrite.

When you don't understand something like statistics and I point it out you don't have to feel attacked. 

Walking might be safest, you won't get any disagreement from me. But cycling, i see it as dangerous if not more dangerous per KM as motorcycles. Pure logic and statistics.

Not many Cyclist (and KM cycled) but still a high dead toll (too bad they did not split it up). Motorcycles are IMHO far safer if you put the same rider on a motor bike and on a bike (assuming he can operate both and has experience in both) a motorbike will certainly be safer on the big roads where you need to have speed if you want  to cross lanes use u turns and so on. 

A bike might be safer on quiet roads as you don't need speed and torque there to get out of trouble.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:02 PM, Ulic said:

I have seen quite a few cyclists at night. I have never seen any of them with lights or even reflectors. RIP to the cyclist. 

I've also never seen cardrivers that took the dark film of their windscreen at night.

Archived